World of Warcraft: Current Year

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
That said, I'm not a huge fan of the scaling in general. I didn't like it in Skyrim, and I'm not too fond of it here either. It just hasn't been as annoying as I think it should be when I actually think about it. With my gear upgrades from world quests I'm able to make quick work of even the scaled up 120s now. I do agree that it takes something away from the experience, but maybe that's just because that's how it has mostly always been in a pre-scaling world.

Yeah, hated it in Skyrim type games, especially if you put a point or two in the wrong spot. Hated it in Division 2 when the world leveled up with me and started almost one shotting me. Just can't play something where it feels like I'm regressing.

I'm waiting until this comes out and gets reviewed, but the level squish does have me intrigued, and I want to try one of the newer race/class combos for sure.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
New area sure is nice looking. The systems overload is immediate once you get to your covenant area, we'll see how they smooth out those treadmills as it gets closer to launch.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I just came back to WoW after leaving near the end of WoTLK, and everything is pretty overwhelming at the moment. There are some things I don't like much, but I've been pretty addicted. Feels a lot better to play than FFXIV to me. I never noticed the huge delay and how annoying combat in FFXIV was until I came back to WoW. The class combat just feels much more fluid and responsive. Dodging and dungeon mechanics are a lot more fun compared to dodging orange circles all day. I'm really looking forward to Shadowlands. I haven't been this excited to play an MMORPG in a while. There are so many quality of life changes over the game I'd been playing for the last 5 years (FFXIV) that it feels like a brand new game to me. It's a weird feeling to be excited over WoW again though, but to be honest I'm grateful to feel this way. Whenever I can get excited for a MMORPG I take what I can get.

It's funny, because I'll go back and forth. I get tired of WoW quickly and go back to FF for awhile, and at some point I'll get the WoW itch again. FF's combat never feels good at early levels, pretty much have to wait until higher levels/cap before it feels less clunky (although all my classes are higher level which helps). What ends up killing both for me is the dry content cycles of FF, and the daily chore stuff of WoW that gets far too repetitive after X amount of time.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Screenshotted>
If I wanted to play a fucking Bethesda game and suck mob scaling dick I would play Skyrim. But most of us are trying to play an MMORPG instead and mob scaling sucks fat donkey balls. There is no debate to be had.

• 1Like
  • 1Truth!
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Think we already know the people at Blizzard aren't there to work on a passion project, or even a game. They're just at a job to collect a paycheck.

• 1Solidarity

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
They're just at a job to collect a paycheck.
I think it's a lot more complicated.

We don't know who does what in the systems/game design department. For some things in Classic we know who did what, like Pat Nagle who did the Elwynn quests, or Rob Pardo who mostly designed the classes. Retail WoW with BfA and Shadowbri... Shadowlands is a different beast.

Ion is a lawyer-like* spokesperson, but I think he and the rest of the design team doesn't realize that the biggest problem Blizzard always had was finding competent people filtering player feedback back to the designers. Community managers are paid peanuts, so you won't find anyone competent in game design and theory to sift through what smells essentially like a pigsty.

So the designers sit in their ivory tower and drop a new expansion, and suddenly a lot of people start screaming at them. Of course you'll get demotivated when everything you do is immediately deconstructed by a horde of autists who are out to prove you are bad at your job. Why would you even try to communicate with them when they come for you with torches and pitchforks?

Blizzard always had this problem with communicating with their audience. Ion has personal experience with the top 5% of raiding, but the biggest problem are the casual bottom 50% who are not communicating in any way or form (forum, discord, fan sites, etc.), but are unsubscribing if they feel the game no longer caters to them and their after-work fun.

Exactly this happened with Cataclysm heroic dungeon tuning, and Blizzard is afraid to repeat that mistake.

*) I know he is a lawyer IRL, that's the irony here: It feels a bit like he treats communication with players/press like a court session.

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
Ray-traced shadows in Shadowlands.

giphy.gif

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf
  • 1Like

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Ray-traced shadows in Shadowlands.

Fuckers. I'm the kind of geek who will buy this now just because of raytracing. Had zero interest otherwise.

And like every other time I played WoW, will quit after a couple of months.

• 1Seriously?

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I dont get why theyre so god dam set to keep making fuckin gimmick systems in WoW.

Torghast(sp?) is the only interesting thing i see atm - the systems are already a huge turn off because they were all shitstains in the previous expansions also.

• 1Solidarity

Serpens

<Silver Donator>
What I miss with mob scaling is the sense of danger while leveling. Remember the first time you blundered into a camp of level 20 mobs as a level 12? You learned to be a lot more careful about where you ventured. Now you can happily go anywhere in a zone and all the mobs are at your level.

• 1Like

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
What I miss with mob scaling is the sense of danger while leveling. Remember the first time you blundered into a camp of level 20 mobs as a level 12? You learned to be a lot more careful about where you ventured. Now you can happily go anywhere in a zone and all the mobs are at your level.

Most memorable example of that is Crushbone, for me. The zone is small as fuck but in hindsight, I never even thought about it's size. But you work through it in stages as you level and people loved that. You had options for full groups, light groups or solo. I wouldnt say the zone was perfectly designed, but it was definitely good.

• 1Truth!
  • 1Like

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
From the very beginning the attraction to loot for me has always been tied to what I could do with it out in the game world. I want the good stuff so I can do things I couldn't do before. Getting something kickass that opens up new options and new play patterns outside of raids is really appealing but WoW doesn't always have that. Heavily curated mob scaling with +difficulty based on your item level and all the hidden calcs really hold back my enjoyment of the game for that reason. Combined with how much content is accessed through a lobby nothing feels like it has weight.

I can like the game, the character I'm playing and the buttons they press and how they do things (which I did last time I was playing) but my enjoyment is always capped by the parts of the game that are at cross purposes with my own preferences. The hooks just aren't there to hold me.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
From the very beginning the attraction to loot for me has always been tied to what I could do with it out in the game world. I want the good stuff so I can do things I couldn't do before. Getting something kickass that opens up new options and new play patterns outside of raids is really appealing but WoW doesn't always have that. Heavily curated mob scaling with +difficulty based on your item level and all the hidden calcs really hold back my enjoyment of the game for that reason. Combined with how much content is accessed through a lobby nothing feels like it has weight.

I can like the game, the character I'm playing and the buttons they press and how they do things (which I did last time I was playing) but my enjoyment is always capped by the parts of the game that are at cross purposes with my own preferences. The hooks just aren't there to hold me.
Nothing at the high end is from a lobby.

• 1Faggotry
  • 1Moron

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Nothing at the high end is from a lobby.

That's true but I was just talking about my own preferences and how the game is not configured at present to get its hooks in to me. I want to get stuff that I'm excited to take back out in to the world and do shit with. Sometimes WoW's got a bit of that and sometimes it don't but having trash scale up with my item level as I'm out fucking around is at complete odds with what I like. It's one more weight holding me back when retail's got more than a couple of those around my ankles already.