World of Warcraft: Current Year

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Ortega

Vyemm Raider
Our rogues and warriors were consciously capping weapon skill in Molten core for dps and our MT was a 1h/shield fury/prot because most of the later parts of prot tree weren't really that great compared to extra threat from fury. Since we didn't have paladins with their OP threat blessings, we actually had to worry about such things.
Oh yeah sure... I vividly remember browsing all the CT profiles with Edgemasters, etc... (Do you guys even know what CT profiles was?) I remember some fucking Gnome warrior doing 700 DPS on Patchwerk or something like that and EVERYONE checking out his gear which might I add had NO WEAPON skill lol...

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Who Cares Larry David GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

• 6Like
  • 3Solidarity
Reactions: 8 users

Xerge

<Donor>
Fucking nerds arguing over min max in a game that has a narrow skill gap. Ouuuuuu activate that tank CD for the incoming boss attack, ouuuu dodge the boss aoe. Kill the adds! I do miss the mythic system though. Last time I logged into WoW it felt like I was looking/playing a facebook farmville thing.

Quality content.

PS. looking for decent supports/dps in ESO. 300CP+, have your sets for support, and at least 71k DPS parse on a 21mil raid dummy for DPS. thx. Big dicks plz.

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Not even some of it? A few stories have at least made me want to read all that was available concerning that.

It feels forced. I've maintained that position since League came out.

There's very little opportunity for storytelling in a MOBA. At the end of the day, it's... "You pick the characters that mechanically make sense for your team. There's a story somewhere, but it's not important." And that last part stuck with me. The story isn't important. So I never paid attention to it, and with the way the game is designed mechanically, you're kind of forced to go against 'canon', or the canon needs to be loose enough that the story has no chronological order, or any semblance of sense.

I'm not a fan of on-rails storytelling. MMOs like EverQuest/early WoW were great in the sense that you could avoid being spoonfed the story by actually playing the game. Those mobile game ads where the actual gameplay contains none of the story or any of the characters you've just seen advertised is probably the most extreme case. If your game contains on-rails storytelling and 80% of your gameplay is dialogue that I experience alone without anyone else, then why am I paying $15 a month for this crap?

I also worked professionally on a game (Hawken) that did the same idea: Make a great, solid game that plays wonderfully, and bolt irrelevant content onto it.

Hawken was a game that came out in 2012, after showing an amazing tech demo of mech combat. The publisher, Meteor, decided to bolt-on and spend millions on lore, board games, puzzles, merchandise, card games, novels, even a TV series / movie was in the works with the same people who did the Sonic movie. All of that fell through the moment they were in financial dire straits, and people loved the idea of the game more than actually playing it. The lore was intricate and in-depth - but the game didn't get the same love. In fact, it was heavily ignored and delegated to people who were interested in making more money. Free to play was big at the time, and it 'made sense', despite players having a rabid hatred of the trend that was evolving. But it 'made money', so it made sense. Free to play killed Hawken, though. The game in which could otherwise be a $30 Xbox Live Arcade title was over-monetized while having no core game loop to come back to. So people would maybe spend on their first play of the game, and rarely did they come back - and why should they, given their sole purpose is to play a game that doesn't require them to spend anything?

As such, I've never been able to personally break the stigma of what happened to Hawken based on my own experiences, and thus League's lore has the same level of inauthentic feeling to the lore versus the gameplay.

An MMO would be great to revitalize any interest I would ever have/had with League, provided the game's lore is included from its inception.

But as it stands, it feels like I will be playing the 'League MMO', much in the same way that watching the 'Star Wars Christmas Special' is tainted by the fact that it was awful and associated with the Star Wars brand. So I will be coming into the 'League MMO' knowing that it's part of a universe that I largely have had no interest in until now. Compare that to games like NCSoft's WildStar - a at-the-time new IP that focuses on innovating gameplay with a new universe that you can grow to love. The problem with WildStar was entirely in gameplay, though, and I prefer games to succeed or fail on that merit alone. Not whatever I am told to do by a developer. I prefer traditional, D&D MMOs where your choices matter and you write your own stories.

I realize what I want in a game is dying as time goes on. And it's certainly not profiitable by any sense, so don't expect AAA publishers to sign onto the idea anytime soon. Maybe Riot will be the exception.

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
It feels forced. I've maintained that position since League came out.

There's very little opportunity for storytelling in a MOBA. At the end of the day, it's... "You pick the characters that mechanically make sense for your team. There's a story somewhere, but it's not important." And that last part stuck with me. The story isn't important. So I never paid attention to it, and with the way the game is designed mechanically, you're kind of forced to go against 'canon', or the canon needs to be loose enough that the story has no chronological order, or any semblance of sense.

They started a huge revamp to the universe a couple years ago. They basically threw out the lore that tried to justify they gameplay with Summoners Rift and all that.

Now the story is told pretty much through out-of game things like cinematics, stories, and comics. And they have new games coming out (i.e. Ruined King), plus the TV show.

I still agree that there's not yet really an established feeling of a continuing story, but I think that's mostly because they haven't had the right vehicle to do so (as you said MOBAs aren't really conducive to that). They're starting to explore that with Ruined King (they had cinematics that set up the playable characters traveling to Bilgewater). But I think they've put all the pieces in places to start that story with an MMO.

Last edited:

Chris

Potato del Grande
You can embellish all you want bro. I have a feeling you weren't even around in Vanilla. Nobody was using + weapon skill. Not a single fucking raider in the world was server firsting anything with edgemasters lol. Must be a pretty fucking shit game now if you want chill with a controller. I take it you don't PVP though?
I said that people knew what weapon skill and +hit did, did someone say that they wore specific items? There were talents and racials too.

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
So about that addon for interupt rotations in M+

I'm not aware of any that automate interrupt rotation designations.

There are WeakAuras and addons (OmniCD) that can show party unterrupt cooldowns next to your party frames though.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Oh yeah sure... I vividly remember browsing all the CT profiles with Edgemasters, etc... (Do you guys even know what CT profiles was?) I remember some fucking Gnome warrior doing 700 DPS on Patchwerk or something like that and EVERYONE checking out his gear which might I add had NO WEAPON skill lol...

Clive and TS were on my server and if you don't know who they are, you probably weren't hardcore enough. /s

Fun fact: The server gave Ts the AQ mount, as a thank you for his work on CT tools (and to screw over the GM of the other top 30 guild on the server).

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

There are WeakAuras and addons (OmniCD) that can show party unterrupt cooldowns next to your party frames though.

I've been semi tracking them with Exorsus but I use it mainly for tracking raid cooldowns and it gets annoying have to manually set it up every time.

I'm going to try https://www.curseforge.com/wow/addons/infinite-raid-tools/screenshots
and if I don't like it I'll look for a WA

spronk

FPS noob
Complexity just cleared Mythic Shadowlands raid on Illidan-US to cement worlds first, i watched the last hour of it. Pretty fun to watch, wild to see how big wow raiding has gotten since the 2004-2010 days.

ya'll could have been twitch superstars if you were just born 20 years later

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Warmuth

Molten Core Raider

Probably the best bet. I'd rather have one that auto stops my interrupt when someone snipes me. I swear though some motherfuckers do have it automated cause I'm anticipating certain shit and still getting beat to it by someone literally insta interrrupting.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Our fucking GM main tank ran fury prot for extra threat all the way through Nefarian at least. Not sure what he's smoking.

Not even remotely the same to a modern day fury warrior

"You can circle jerk yourselves off with how proficient you've gotten at taking down an entire raid in 20 minutes, but a lot of that shit was lining up 15 years ago. With way, way fewer people playing."

So if everyone knew back then what they knew now, why did so few guilds clear Naxx. Why wasn't AQ being cleared in 30 minutes etc

Chris

Potato del Grande
Not even remotely the same to a modern day fury warrior

"You can circle jerk yourselves off with how proficient you've gotten at taking down an entire raid in 20 minutes, but a lot of that shit was lining up 15 years ago. With way, way fewer people playing."

So if everyone knew back then what they knew now, why did so few guilds clear Naxx. Why wasn't AQ being cleared in 30 minutes etc
There may well be strategies which speed things up nowadays, it's just that everything you've posted as big brained revelations are things we used to do.

I tanked Stratholme as a Shadow Priest and 2 manned Dire Maul/LBRS as a Restro Druid. There was even a 30 minute Stratholme for a quest to get the T0.5 Class Set. We speed ran things.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
So the weekly Torghast campaign stuff.... we find the Burnt Totem as a clue to Thrall and... that's it? Last week we did something similar and rescued Jaina but the story seemed to just stop for the moment?

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
So the weekly Torghast campaign stuff.... we find the Burnt Totem as a clue to Thrall and... that's it? Last week we did something similar and rescued Jaina but the story seemed to just stop for the moment?

When I turned it in, it seemed like it glitched as if it was going to offer another quest, but then it was gone.