World of Warcraft: Current Year

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Screenshotted>
Player housing and a real crafting system would go a long way in alleviating this problem.
I don't get the obsession with player housing. Do you really think anyone gives a shit about your stuff? Do you really need a place to play Molly housekeeper? Fucking faggots ruin everything.

ns4opt2b1a221.png

• 3Solidarity
  • 3Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 7 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I don't get the obsession with player housing. Do you really think anyone gives a shit about your stuff? Do you really need a place to play Molly housekeeper? Fucking faggots ruin everything.

ns4opt2b1a221.png
IDK man for MMOs it seems pretty reasonable. Give your player base more shit to collect and show off. Someone wants to fag out and spend all day organizing their apartment in Orgrimmar and all their time in farming shit to put in it so they can put it on display.

More power to ya I guess.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Didn't people go ham decorating their garrisons?

I thought the general consensus was "Garrisons are cool! We like them! But they are fully functional personal cities that nobody ever has to leave, which is overboard and stupid"

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I don't recall much decorating, if any, you could do in the Garrison. It was all very cookie cutter.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I don't recall much decorating, if any, you could do in the Garrison. It was all very cookie cutter.

There were a bunch of stupid little baubles and collectibles you could decorate it with. Statues and holiday decorations and shit like that. Plus all the music stuff.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Wasn't much decorating. You could eventually put little statues up in certain spots depending what achievements you'd done for the expac, but that was about it. The pristine archaeology items also would show up in a little room in your Town Hall as you collected them as well, which was cute. I don't think actual housing would automatically be a bad thing to add to the game, but really depends how they implement.

Serpens

<Silver Donator>

I thought the general consensus was "Garrisons are cool! We like them! But they are fully functional personal cities that nobody ever has to leave, which is overboard and stupid"
My gnome's garrison has gnome guards and recruited all 24 possible gnome champions and leveled them to max. Shame there weren't 25. And you can guess the music theme.
ndfkgneorngls.jpg

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Wasn’t their talk of player made towns and fortresses year ago?
As I type this I remember what that became...but yeah if you could build and upgrade a place the community could work together on. Both sides could have places to attack and defend.

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
One of EQ's initial goals was player housing, apparently.
Smedley, McQuaid & Trost wanted that and pushed very hard but the instancing wasn't there that would allow for it.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
There were two "statue" locations that have a very limited number of options. Such as completing the campaign, the main achievement for flying or some such, and beating the last raid. And maybe a PVP one. Your garrison was filled with your companions. And the music box - I think I used the Arthas theme. Getting the auction house was the best part. And really chapped my fuckin ass when they increased the load time into your garrison by 3000%. The rest was pretty cookie-cutter depending on what you wanted to do. I cycled through and maxed a few buildings to unlock various things -- like the barracks for gear or a companion, and the stables for all the mounts. And you unlocked a quick-travel burrow thing during the Story. Plus upgrading your mine/garden. Not to mention the massive fishing parties in the pond. The garrison was definitely a highlight of that expansion, but once you maxed everything out, it got really old, really quick. Plus the overabundance of crafting materials really fucked the economy and nearly killed crafting. Oh, there was also the little segment tied to the story with the legendary companion, Garona. And a portal to the legendary ring questline.

Other than Vanilla, it's the only time I ever played Alliance and preferred it. Horde garrison appearance and location fucking sucked save for farming fur for bags.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Player housing and a real crafting system would go a long way in alleviating this problem.
I honestly thought Twisting Corridors was going to alleviate some of this problem but it was too easy to beat.

I think a fun addition to Torghast would be Diablo-style loot that you can give to your mission table companions.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>

Why they didn't turn this sentiment into making Guild Garrisons I'll never understand. A cool place for your guild to show off all of your accomplishments in all aspects of the game, with some fun things to do while hanging out there, would really take WoW to the next level.

Adding more guild-centric stuff in general would be very interesting.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Yeah seems odd they never implemented any form of player housing. Seems like really low hanging fruit as theres no long term balancing and patching issues with it.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
What's funny is that with Garrisons, yeah people hung out in their personal town all the time, but they socially interacted more than they do today. People would screw with the Auction House, farm ore/herb from their personal garden/mine, do missions, etc...all while bullshitting in public chat for hours. They'd let people in to use their AH or get access to the special quest NPCs for example.

Its humorous to see that WoW has gotten less "social" than that.

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

Kiki

Log Wizard
Player housing was awesome in archeage. Nothing like stealthing outside some weeb house waiting for them to come pick potatoes in their garden so you could gank them and take their potatoes.

• 1Worf
  • 1Weird Boner
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
One of EQ's initial goals was player housing, apparently.
Smedley, McQuaid & Trost wanted that and pushed very hard but the instancing wasn't there that would allow for it.

In an interview regarding EQ prior to its release, Brad was quite adamant that there would be guild halls in the near future and player housing.

I honestly think it is one of EQ2's best qualities. I really enjoyed my house and moving up through different types of apartments and homes. At one time you would trade skill and even benefit purchasing from players homes instead of the market board.

I always wanted guild run cities with brokers and merchants. Sending guild caravans (roaming merchants) with food, items, etc. instead of having random NPC huts and quest hubs. I think New World is attempting to do something like this but its never really been fully attempted but it may also not be worth it.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
DAoC didn't instance player housing.

It just had 4 gigantic zones per realm to put houses in.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The problem with player housing is making sure you implement it where it isn't like FFXIV's...fucking mad dash to log in and snatch up available lots.

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider

ns4opt2b1a221.png
Why the fuck are you still in this thread?

Cybsled

The problem with player housing is making sure you implement it where it isn't like FFXIV's...fucking mad dash to log in and snatch up available lots.

FF and Archeage both used uninstanced housing is the difference. Archeage invited bots because you could resell the land. FF just has a supply/demand issue (on some servers anyways, plenty of land on crystal data center).

FF and Archeage both had “active” requirements to keep the house, though. FF you need an active sub and have been inside your house within the past 45 days, Archeage just required taxes (p2w).

FF housing is a lot more robust decorating wise than AA was, though. If WoW did housing, I would want it to be like a FF style vs some shitty “you can place 15 items on the ground, no Z axis allowed” shit. I’m just not sure their engine could support anything more than some bare bones crap that would make a FFXI Mog house look advanced.