World of Warcraft: Current Year

Cybsled

Those are some pretty large numbers. Did they really overtune the content that much?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Why the fuck are you still in this thread?

Booze hates live WoW and doesn't play it all but he basically posts the most in this thread now, making sure to tell everyone else how awful it is. You learn to ignore it, its been a broken record for at least a year now.

But yes I agree its odd player housing was never done in WoW, given how players are already fond of collecting things, especially transmog. Also the fact it's something that isnt hard to implement anymore and another thing you can add items to the store for that people would pay cash for. Given some of the things they have done over the years and just abandoned in the next expac, housing would still be around and could basically be forever added too.

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm not playing, but check in occasionally. Looks like we've come full circle, and discussion in the WoW thread has once again turned to Garrisons, Player Housing & Dress up.

Usually a pretty good indicator that the current expansion has already blown its load. That was a little "premature".
Eh, we've reached the point in the content cycle when everyone who isn't doing mythic raids wants the next things to grind. It's to be expected.

Cybsled

Which is exactly why you need meaningful content outside of rinse/repeat raid and mythic clears and rep grinds

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Those are some pretty large numbers. Did they really overtune the content that much?
Depends on who you ask. The bosses imo aren’t the difficult parts of the dungeons. Raiding this tier I’ve stepped out completely but the complaints, even from the bleeding edge were loud and clear.

Eh, we've reached the point in the content cycle when everyone who isn't doing mythic raids wants the next things to grind. It's to be expected.
I’ve always thought WOW should have been the mmo that offered content on a 3 month rotation. But if the competition can’t or won’t even try to step up to that plate, then why would they care to either.

When I see that #.5 is generally the end of content for an expansion every time.. I’m a bit rustled that your average person pays 15/month and 40-90 bucks for each expac. As if they know that they can get away with short cuts and not bringing things to completion. “Our idiotic choices have screwed this expac. Best we rush out the next iteration to try to get people back.” It’s not that I’m bitter about it, just wish they would do more with the money they make.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
I don't think player housing is what killed Wildstar. I think that was actually one of the more lauded features, as it was super customizable. I personally didn't care for how it played no role in the economy though. It was purely for the dress up aspects.
Didn't say that it was what killed Wildstar. But maybe I did, in an indirect way. So much, development time was invests there, while a story, game play, balance, fun, everything else suffered dramatically. The game was beat and done in less than 60 hours. For an MMO, that's.... Pathetic.

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
Didn't say that it was what killed Wildstar. But maybe I did, in an indirect way. So much, development time was invests there, while a story, game play, balance, fun, everything else suffered dramatically. The game was beat and done in less than 60 hours. For an MMO, that's.... Pathetic.
Maybe. The number of models they had to create for that housing system was retarded. With WoW I don't think this would be as much of a problem though because they have 16 years of models they can pull from.

From everything we've heard over the years, housing has actually been in development hell forever. Maybe they've already wasted a ton of development resources on it that could have been better used elsewhere.

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
They made meaningful player housing with garrisons, it's in the game. The dev time has been spent.

You don't need to manually place every high res teapot like in FF14, a small choice of buildings and trophies like they actually had implemented is enough.

Like I said, if it was for guilds only (have an upkeep of resources so you can't solo it, perhaps ones you earn just by playing), it would actually build a community if that's where you all went for portals/crafting/some resource gathering/defence quests.

Then you have major cities for trading. Maybe a different AH for each resource to make more use of the space and so everyone isn't stood in the same spot all day. Class Halls from Legion should have been in cities too.

These are all design issues, not dev time issues. The dev time is wasted when features are limited to one expansion only. They have never sat down and worked out where they want players to be and why they would be there to make the world active.

Tide27

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
To preface, I no longer play WoW or really any other MMO anymore, but do follow them.

I am one of the ones that are a fan of the housing systems in various games like EQ2 and ESO. The idea of getting trophies and placing them on walls was so much better than a random +100 meaningless achievement points that amounted to nothing.

It also gave a great reason for content to be run that wasn't the most current released, which is where the majority of folks ended up being. It gave incentives for others to go out of their way to play in non bleeding edge content. For someone like me that may have missed the past expansions or raid zones, it gave me a way to go back and experience zones I might never have gotten to see.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Qhue

Trump's Staff
I'm just wondering why they didn't budget/plan to have weekly small story increments as they had for the first couple months. Could even have some of those weekly but be filler like the Torghast missions were so long as people made some meager progress every other week.

• 1Truth!
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
It also gave a great reason for content to be run that wasn't the most current released
But they don't want that. They always had a strange relationship with things players did "for fun", and instantly clamped down on anything that made it even remotely possible to "play the game the wrong way."

I'm just wondering why they didn't budget/plan to have weekly small story increments
I guess with the internal turmoil, lots of poeple leaving, and work-from-home + lockdowns they have problems with project management and maintaining a content pipeline.

• 1Solidarity

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
I think it's likely also a matter of flexibility. Delivering content on a weekly basis at the scale that they do things could be rife with issues that wouldn't allow them a lot of lead time.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
They should just create an event cycle. This already exists in game with things like Darkmoon Faire and Timewalking. They just need to expand on it to include more weekly or weekend events with special perks and boosts.

So many games do this and its almost always received well and keeps the game feeling fresh.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
There's nothing that drives people to do certain parts of the game like during Legion? Doing such and such has a boosted AP reward this weekend, or whatever.

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
Since we're somewhat on the topic, add me to the list of people that think WoW should go with Player Housing. Garrisons are at best a timid step in that direction, but they were barely customizable. When I see stuff people have been able to make in much less polished games like EQ2 with creativity and imagination, it's pretty amazing.

The way I envision Player Housing in WoW, you'd get your own plot of land (a bit like the MoP farm) so it's only a small patch of phased land, but inside that your place is entirely customizable. You could choose your house based on your race at first but you could have quests in place to unlock other cultural architectural types. Also, I'd add a ton of recipes for most professions to craft items to decorate or improve your house..

Like add a Carpentering profession that gathers wood from various trees in each expansion to craft furniture (they had some lumberwork stuff in WoD so it's doable).

Then let Blacksmiths make tools or metal gates, Jewelcrafters can make ornaments and trinkets to decorate the house, maybe a big crystal chandelier? Tailors can make carpets and tapestries, or maybe even couches. Leatherworkers can make leather couches and chairs and you could have them use skins and beast parts to make wall trophies and skin carpets like a snow bear pelt. Enchanters could make cool automated items like a broom that sweeps the floor on its own or other fun novelty items. Engineers could make little robots that do stuff around the house and turn it into Doc Brown's lab basically. With Herbalism you could do stuff in your garden outside the house or create flower pots and other decorations inside the house.

Plus as was stated above, you could have a ton of trophies from old content raid bosses and meaningful quest lines, select achievements, feats of strength, a menagerie for your favorite pets, an exposition room for your favorite archaeological finds.. some manequins to equip your favorite armor sets, like they had kind-of in your class hall.

In fact, most of the ideas are somewhat already implemented but sprinkled about in the game, all it needs is some will behind it and it could happen rather easily.

I think it would revigorate the professions a lot, and add a lot of collectibles which is basically what the people that don't raid or do M+ do all the time in WoW, so a significant part of the playerbase in my opinion.

With the lukewarm reception and tepid staying power of Shadowlands, I wouldn't be surprised if they finally get off their "You think you do but you don't" high horse and go with housing for the next expansion.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
I'm just wondering why they didn't budget/plan to have weekly small story increments as they had for the first couple months. Could even have some of those weekly but be filler like the Torghast missions were so long as people made some meager progress every other week.
Because this thread is full of people paying to farm their +1 dogooder or suffering through their 3rd alt.

Financially it makes no sense when you have a loyal fanbase of retards.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Maybe they'll add real controller support soon.
Why? Morons made it for them for free with ConsolePort.

Putting WoW on consoles is kinda obvious though given that their competitor is on PS4 and PC.

It's amazing how many opportunities they pass up. They have this weird mix of being cheap/lazy and letting money slip through their fingers.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Why? Morons made it for them for free with ConsolePort.

Putting WoW on consoles is kinda obvious though given that their competitor is on PS4 and PC.

It's amazing how many opportunities they pass up. They have this weird mix of being cheap/lazy and letting money slip through their fingers.
I would be willing to be that they are almost two different audiences. Especially when you add controller support into the mix. General Chat in both games is almost entirely different for reference. People in FFXIV are the most understanding, forgiving people Ive ever ran across in a game.

Juvarisx

Florida
NEW PTR build is up with a release in March, M+ gearing turning into PvP gearing which is great

We’ve opened the Public Test Realm (PTR) for Patch 9.0.5, the next update to World of Warcraft, which is now in-testing and expected to be released in March.

This update will be a bit different from our usual patches. It’s focused almost entirely on systems, responding to community feedback about rewards, doing tuning that requires the sort of notice and iteration that a PTR allows, and fixing a range of bugs that are beyond the scope of our ability to hotfix. We know everyone is eager to hear about the next chapter in the Shadowlands saga and what new adventures and rewards it will bring, and we’ll have a lot more information on that in the very near future. In the meantime, we’ll use this patch to get changes into your hands faster than a large content patch would allow.

Here are two of the larger changes you’ll see in 9.0.5, with further iteration to follow over the next few weeks:

Upgradable Mythic Keystone Gear - The Return of Valor Points
We’ve seen a lot of feedback about the pros and cons of the various sources of gear in the Shadowlands endgame. After a rewarding first few weeks, we know that many dungeon-focused players reached a point where the only relevant rewards from the system come from the Great Vault. While the Vault should represent a major goal and the source of the best rewards the endgame has to offer, we want to find a way for the loot from the chest at the end of a challenging Mythic Keystone run to feel relevant, without bringing back random upgrade systems such as Warforging, which partially solved this problem in the past. We also want to provide a more consistent reward for the effort for players who do not receive an item at all.

The framework for a system that attempts to address these goals should be present in this first PTR update, subject to ongoing tuning and refinement. Gear from Mythic Keystone Dungeons is now upgradeable, initially with a cap of item level 200, which players can raise to item level 207 by completing all eight Shadowlands dungeons at Mythic 5 or higher. This will award a new “Keystone Explorer” achievement, while the existing “Keystone Conqueror” achievement (for all +10s or higher) will increase the cap to item level 213, and then to item level 220 by completing the “Keystone Master” achievement for all +15s in time. The currency used to upgrade Mythic Keystone gear is Valor, which is earned from completing Mythic Keystone dungeons, or by doing covenant Callings, with a weekly cap. Upgrade costs will vary by item slot and will be consistent across all item levels.

Covenant and Legendary Tuning
We’ve deliberately used a very light touch with any hotfixes that might affect Covenant or Legendary balance, as we’re keenly aware of the resources players have invested in those systems. A patch, however, allows for ample notice for the community and a testing and feedback loop that should help ensure that we don’t unintentionally undermine your investment in your covenant or legendary items.

In many cases, the changes coming in 9.0.5 are improvements to Legendary items and Covenant class abilities that have seen comparatively less use by players. Our goal with these changes is to provide more gameplay options for crafting and utilizing Legendary items in specific situations, and to make sure that more players feel that the Covenant that suits their aesthetic, narrative, or other preferences for their character also feels more viable for their preferred playstyle.

We’ll have a number of bugfixes, tuning adjustments to other systems, and other changes coming to the PTR in the coming weeks.

The 9.0.5 PTR is available to all players via your Blizzard Battle.net App. To test with us, go to the app and change your Game Version to Public Test Realm.

We greatly appreciate bug reports! As always, while testing on the PTR, you can submit a bug report for any item, spell, or object by mousing over it and selecting default hotkey F6. Bug reports created in this way include valuable metadata about the spell, your talents, and your player-state when the bug is submitted. If you’ve unbound your “Open Bug Report” hotkey, you can rebind it in Keybindings -> PTR.

If you wish to discuss issues related to this patch with other players, we’ve opened a discussion forum here.

9.0.5 PTR General Discussion

Thank you for testing, and we look forward to your feedback!

• 1Seriously?