World of Warcraft: Current Year

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Granted, there's some raid utility and such built in to some of those difference. Not all, obviously, as we know they're shit at balancing classes/specs. But that's part of the point, too. Considering all that, why should the players also then have to worry about another ~5% from yet another system added on top to the basic class stuff.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Not sure if it's changed since I've played, but damage aside, the feel of the Venthyr ability for enhancement is just straight head and shoulders above the rest with only Night Fae coming close. And between those two, you have the Night Fae ability that you have to stand and channel as a melee and have to ground target (yes I know you can just macro the shit) yet scales down with number of targets, vs. Venthyr ability that you can just instant cast with maelstrom stacks and gets better with cleave and is just satisfying as all hell to just press. I really, really wanted to play Night Fae since I liked their aesthetics and flavor, but pressing that Venthyr chain shit just feels so fucking good vs. the clunky Night Fae shit that I just couldn't justify staying. Literally everything else about the Venthyr can suck my balls and I fucked hated playing in that covenant.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
297.jpg

• 15Worf
  • 1Galaxy Brain
Reactions: 15 users

Cybsled

Might be large reason why Kaplan is gone. Ion can't be far behind.

It's insane they've lost players during the pandemic. They should have gotten a little reprieve from it.

The investor meeting highlighting the departures of certain executives, but not mentioning Jeff, gives some insight on that. Most interesting thing was WoW Classic provided a very brief bump of 1M, then immediately lost that and the prior cycle of lost users eventually continued.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Classic had its pump, but even with its loss of players... which was expected.. you cant expect it to stop the hemorrhaging from the Live side. I really wanted to believe in the win one, lose one, win one scenario for WoW, but SL's has just ended up being awful. I dragged people back into Live for this expansion and I regret doing that. I really want the current "vision" for WOW to burn to the ground and hope for the phoenix to raise that pile of shit into something great again. MWGA or something? :p

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Those numbers just mean they failed to capitalize on Legion's success.

Of course there would be an expected loss of players since Legion. It doesn't mean Ion's job is safe though, you're right about that.

The foot should be hitting his ass if SL continues to trend downward sharply into 9.1 to 9.2.

If 9.2 tanks he's out.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

xmod2

<Gold Donor>
The goofy forced gating always leads to the same cycle for me.

1. Start out playing a ton and completing my homework each week.
2. Slowly gets later in the week until I'm doing all my homework Monday night before reset.
3. Miss a reset and then say fuck it and don't play until the next major patch.

• 11Like
  • 5Solidarity
Reactions: 15 users

Cybsled

Speaking from my own experience (and what I assume many others experience), when logging into a MMO starts to feel like an obligation rather than something you enjoy, then that is the beginning of quitting the game.

You can only sustain a "log in daily" content model for so long before people begin to burn out and then stop wanting to log in. If you're just logging on to do your dailies, then immediately logging off after you do them, then that means your game has inadequate content or avenues of content to keep chunks of the player base engaged in a healthy, sustainable way.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
^ The only thing that's kept Ion profitable. The shop hit record highs

Players might be down-- but people blew more money than ever, from Legion forward.

• 1Barf

Chris

Potato del Grande
Better crank out more shop mounts.
This is exactly what will happen.

Other nerd culture hobbies with a contracting and aging userbase go the premium route to get more cash out of existing customers, rather than fixing any problems.

See Marvel/DC Comics, Warhammer, Magic: The Gathering etc...

• 1Like