World of Warcraft: Current Year

xmod2

<Gold Donor>
Yeah, they clearly wanted a D3 style 'build diversity' idea with legendaries. Shit, they ripped off a bunch of other D3 systems in Legion so why not the legendaries? The 'problem' was the disconnect between the MAU/control crowd and the gameplay crowd. Clearly, D3 works because you can grind out a ton of legendaries to build your set and then fish for good rolls. In order to keep everything under their strict, autistic thumb, they limited the drops to realistically one every ~2 weeks. Anyone who played D3 or WoW knew this was a retarded idea and fundamentally changed how the D3 system would feel, but someone either didn't care or someone in a decision making position was too low iq to realize it. I blame it on the SOVLLESS execs/leadership who want to make money more than they want to make games. I mean, I get it. Luckily, it seems that SOVL is becoming a metric that more gamers are starting to recognize. We need a new term to classify these games anyway, since 'mobile' used to work but more and more 'real' games now are just adopting that shitty style.

Btw, I think the art team feeding back ideas to the rest of the team is a good thing, I was just pointing out that it happens. The art team was always seen as one of the most competent teams that carried WoW when the rest of the teams stunk. Though that seems to be waning now as well.

• 1Hodjing
Reactions: 1 user

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Luckily, it seems that SOVL is becoming a metric that more gamers are starting to recognize. We need a new term to classify these games anyway, since 'mobile' used to work but more and more 'real' games now are just adopting that shitty style.

Could you explain SOVL really quick please?

xmod2

<Gold Donor>
Autistic internet for soul. Prob initially for filter evasion. Something that makes you feel something vs just being shiny/flashy.

• 1Hodjing
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 1 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Legendaries were a good idea except for the fact that specific legendaries put you leaps and bounds ahead of other players of your same spec and class without them. That and you had no control over which you got for half of the expansion. Not that you needed them for most content sure but given two similarly skilled players with BIS legendary and without the one with the legendary is going to to so much more DPS than you its not a closeable gap.

Legendaries locked completely different ways of playing your character behind them. That was the bullshit.
What kept bothering me during legion is how they said up and down that the difference in strength for legendaries was minimal.

In the first month, I was lucky enough to get the BIS legendary for Spriest. Meanwhile, the spriest that "was" beating me in DPS in EN ended up getting the bubble legendary first. The DPS difference after I equipped that legendary was night and day to his DPS. There was just no contest for him to keep up unless I utterly failed at S2M. I'm not a high APM type of player which I think was very integral to that iteration of S2M, so a better player should have shown me up quite easily and it just didnt happen. He ended up quitting his Spriest and went on to play a Hunter - which essentially was a system of "reroll till you get a better legendary" which is far from how I personally think the system should have panned out.

Great concept, poorly executed. But there was a lot more in Legion that I liked than disliked. The Class Halls were cool. The mage tower was cool. I really dug the story of my weapon and how the AP grind would also give superficial/cosmetic changes to your spells in combat etc. Mythic dungeons for the most part were cool. Just a lot of shit they did in Legion, they did "right" and all of it outweighed any stupid shit that they did. If you played Legion and then went on to BFA or play SL's now - you just start to ask why they didnt/dont put the same time and care into similar shit.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
It took me almost 2 months of playing to get my first legendary, just to have it be a fucking prydaz. Keep in mind, I took that week off work and poopsocked the shit out of the expac when it released and just got straight fucked by RNG. The ring that boosted damage for each element you hit with for enhancement was fucking busted. I didn't get it until Tomb of Sargeras came out, long after it got nerfed and right after I cancelled my sub because fuck that whole fucking system.

• 4Like
  • 3Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Was that where people would level up more of the same class to get more rolls of the dice? Get shit legendaries and the fastest way to get different ones was to make a new character and level it?

• 1Like

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Well at the start Bliz fucked up some coding and two issues that should of been adjusted immediately happened. One when you got a legendary is was supposed to lower the chance of getting the 2nd, but this was reversed on the launch of legion so many people ended up with 2 or 3 pretty fast, the rich get richer. Whoopsie Daisy.

Then the 2nd major and it was major as fuck is one you got your 3 or 4th Lego that was it. It was coded so no others could drop for the character until later patches... as such many people in high end guilds remade 2 or 3 of the same class to try and get a Lego again, because if your first character got the wrong ones it was officially fucked and a dud they had to bench because it would never see raid play. How either of those fundamental fucked things even made it past beta is an insult to their player base.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
Well at the start Bliz fucked up some coding and two issues that should of been adjusted immediately happened. One when you got a legendary is was supposed to lower the chance of getting the 2nd, but this was reversed on the launch of legion so many people ended up with 2 or 3 pretty fast, the rich get richer. Whoopsie Daisy.

Then the 2nd major and it was major as fuck is one you got your 3 or 4th Lego that was it. It was coded so no others could drop for the character until later patches... as such many people in high end guilds remade 2 or 3 of the same class to try and get a Lego again, because if your first character got the wrong ones it was officially fucked and a dud they had to bench because it would never see raid play. How either of those fundamental fucked things even made it past beta is an insult to their player base.
It was on purpose, rerolling means higher engagement metrics.

Tananthalas

<Gold Donor>

What pisses me off is that had the legendary aquisition been better (like they would later implement) Legion would have been perfect. Still it was the first WoW expansion I was sub'd the whole time. Hadn't happened before Legion or since. Shit it hadn't happened in an MMO since EQ when they were releasing new expansions every other week.

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
Conspiracy theory time: "The story sucks because of a feud between Dave Kosak and Alex Afrasiabi"

• 5Worf
  • 2WTF
  • 2Like
Reactions: 9 users

Qhue

Trump's Staff
That seems likely. There's so much story fail throughout the last couple of expansions that it makes sense that it came down to dick waving creatives.

Ultimately there is no redemption for Sylvanas at this point. At best she tried to kill all the Night Elves in order to 'stop death', at worst she was a genocidal nutjob who committed atrocities in the name of securing Azerite. Remember Azerite? It was supposed to be magical uranium only it never actually did much of anything and is now totally forgotten.

Instead of anything approaching nuance they devolved the whole story into moustache-twirling ugly people vs soft-spoken virtuous glowing people.

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
1638523999500.jpeg

• 11Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 11 users

SimSimSalabim

Molten Core Raider

Oh my god the comments...
Lol. Shadowlands storyline had so much potential. But Instead of the Jailer being some kind of lawful-evil figure whose motivation to undo reality hinged on his belief that the cycle of life and death was unfair, we get evil Jailer who does evil things because he’s evil.

I believe they pulled the plug on this expansion early because of all of their failures, shortcomings, misdeeds, etc. 9.2 raid was going to end with Anduin and 9.3 raid would end with zovaal, but in scrapping 9.3 (all while pretending publicly ‘this was a story in 3 acts’) they mashed their 9.2 and 9.3 raids together. This is why there’s a major story pause and content timegate after Anduin. Whatever cliffhanger comes at the end of that fight would normally dangle for 8-10 months now it will only be a week.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
Lol. Shadowlands storyline had so much potential. But Instead of the Jailer being some kind of lawful-evil figure whose motivation to undo reality hinged on his belief that the cycle of life and death was unfair, we get evil Jailer who does evil things because he’s evil.

I believe they pulled the plug on this expansion early because of all of their failures, shortcomings, misdeeds, etc. 9.2 raid was going to end with Anduin and 9.3 raid would end with zovaal, but in scrapping 9.3 (all while pretending publicly ‘this was a story in 3 acts’) they mashed their 9.2 and 9.3 raids together. This is why there’s a major story pause and content timegate after Anduin. Whatever cliffhanger comes at the end of that fight would normally dangle for 8-10 months now it will only be a week.
Yeah one of the top comments in the first thread I linked is someone breaking down how each afterlife is set up to be bad and a natural justification for Zovaal doing what he is doing... all of which were dropped and ignored.

You couldn't make this shit worse if you tried.

• 1Like