Y: The Last Man

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
1.00 star(s) Rating: 1.00/5 2 Votes
Title: Y: The Last Man

Genre: Sci-Fi & Fantasy, Drama

First aired: 2021-09-13

Creator: Aïda Mashaka Croal, Michael Green

Cast: Ben Schnetzer, Diane Lane, Olivia Thirlby, Ashley Romans, Juliana Canfield, Marin Ireland, Amber Tamblyn, Diana Bang, Elliot Fletcher

Overview: Traverse a post-apocalyptic world in which a cataclysmic event has decimated every male mammal save for one lone human. The new world order of women will explore gender, race, class and survival.

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm

Trailer doesnt really show much. But please FX dont fuck this up like you did with Preacher.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
*Streaming exclusively* = to the high seas!

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

Brodhi

I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.
<Donor>
This would be a really interesting movie if done correctly, and not make believe shit of how women pretend they would act.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

spronk

FPS noob
nah it would be an awful movie, 2 hours isn't long enough to tell a compelling long story like this. I only read like 2-3 of the comics long ago so don't remember anything but its a story built for TV series. A movie would have to shortcut so much it would be a stupid story of men all die in the first 30 mins, 60 mins of Last Man on a quest, and a shitty rewritten ending where women learn that women rule and don't need any men.

the only bummer is that its on FX / cable TV, it could have been pretty neat on HBO or Netflix if they went harder into gore and sex and violence, that'll get a bit neutered.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
One of my all time favorite comics, I actually like pretty much all the cast choices, but I am certain they will fuck this up.

Volto!

Lord Nagafen Raider
One male left on a planet full of women and the patriarchy will still be to blame for everything.

• 3Worf

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
she looks better as a blond
olivia-thirlby-anderson-dredd.png

• 1Like

Caliane

well see... in this day... who knows.

Even back when it was written, by a raging male feminist. The theme was basically just women are the same as men. Yoricks sister was a female supremacist, and is expressly shown to be wrong. But, even then, it never delved into actual toxic femininity. not the witch hunts, hysteria, vanity, constant power dynamics, or cattyness women actually do all the time.

ffs, Thirlby is like a perfect cast for Hero though.

just an FYI, the comic throughs out multiple conjectures of what the "cause" is. None are meant to be taking as word of god. They are all the point of view of the person saying it.
(theres one that is the most actually plausible, and its the "correct" one, per the author., but its never actually stated in the comic itself)

Last edited:

Cybsled

It's like Walking Dead - the virus is just a plot device to setup the world

wamphyr

Molten Core Raider
FX makes good shows.
I have faith in this.
And I want lots of lesbian scenes.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
i wonder how the show is gonna handle trannies

trannies killed = not real women
trannies not killed = ??, can still rape?

watching twitter tards trying to deal with actual implications of Y chromosomes

MMO_Wolf_McQuaid.jpg

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Comics are some of the best ever written.

No way this does them justice, but we can at least hope it's well made and they don't miss the point entirely.

Odds on them cutting the one-tittied amazon gangs entirely? I give it 30% they are still in the story.

Mandriana

I thought the comic was okay, nothing great, and as mentioned, they really avoided a lot of the more interesting (to me anyway) issues that would arise in this world, mostly females are psycho, and inter-woman dynamics. Which is why they will fuck this up, in 2021, media is not allowed to provide introspection of, and accountability to, "oppressed" populations. I am slapping money on the Vegas odds table now, white men and western capitalist patriarchy will somehow be to blame.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Unfortunately I agree with the fact that they will spin this into "look at the horrible position all those men put the women in (by dying!), they're obviously to blame for the fact that women never tried to get into STEP and/or make up half the industrial class workforce."

And as mentioned above, what do they do about all those beautiful women who just happened to have been born men and transitioned? Will they change up the cause to say it only affected people with over a certain Testosterone level? If they do that what about the FtM who are on T boosters? And do little boys get born, then die when they hit puberty? I don't see a way through this minefield for them without pissing large swaths of people off this day and age.

Cybsled

Hence 'Y: The Last Man". If you transitioned, you still die because you didn't change your genetics.

spronk

FPS noob
yeah thats 2002 comic book Y the last man, i think a bunch of us are saying 2021 TV version will NOT do that and somehow trannies will survive. be really happy to be proved wrong by the show tho

either way it's gonna be good for a laugh

Haus

<Silver Donator>
yeah thats 2002 comic book Y the last man, i think a bunch of us are saying 2021 TV version will NOT do that and somehow trannies will survive. be really happy to be proved wrong by the show tho

either way it's gonna be good for a laugh

Well.. in the comics they presented a lot of possible reasons for the "all the men died" event happening. In the end the author said they told the audience the actual reason, along the way, but also included a lot of red herrings. This was so that people would supposedly have to think and be led to the reason/excuse they felt was correct. This included everything from Nature "self correcting" once men were no longer needed to reproduce, to chemical warfare gone horribly wrong, to ancient curse on an amulet.. I think there were something like 4-5 "explanations" and the most the author did after the fact was say "Yeah.. one of those was right."

Now, this leaves the TV series open in that they can go "hard science" and kill the MtF trans folk as well and that leans towards the scientific explanations. They can go the "what gender you represent as determined it" which would lean into the mystical reasons. And various permutations in between. Most fear they will hardline on "present as".

Now, they wrote a movie based on this afterwards. And in the movie treatment as to make the audience not have to do that silly "thinking" so much they just nailed it down that it was the US launching some chemical warfare attack on China intended to decimate them by making all the women be unable to bear male offspring, and instead the chemical went ham, killed everything male, and went global. Which leans right into "We can blame this all on those MEN in the government"

I guess we shall see. For me I suspect this will be a "wait for the whole first season, then visit my friends at the bay for a copy and watch it" thing.

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Think I'd rather watch the Sliders episode where they jump to a world where the men died off. At least it was fun watching Quinn, Rembrandt, and the Professor have another wacky adventure.

This just looks miserable, and I'm sure we'll be lectured to every episode about the patriarchy.

TV show information provided by The Movie Database