Your favorite moments in video games (Or "WOW" moments"

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I was thinking about some of my favorite video game moments and wanted to hear others. There will be some spoilers here if you have not played the games, but I am guessing most here have played them by now. These types of moments in the game solidify, in your mind, you will never forget the game. A few cut pieces that when someone mentions the game itself you flashback to a few of them and remember what it was like to play through that for the first time.

Bioshock Infinite has two for me: Obviously an 80's throw back here which is why it stuck, but the fact that on the theater Marquee (French in this video) stated "Revenge of the Jedi" instead of "Return of the Jedi" was pretty damn awesome since that was supposed to be the original name of the 3rd Star wars movie in 83 before Lucas determined that wouldn''t work since Jedi's did not believe in revenge. Tears for Fears is awesome as well.

The second Bioshock Infinite Wow moment for me was the amount of effort and time development took to place this small 2 minute piece in the game knowing most might just run by it and not even care. The amount of effort here is awesome from a development stand point, but the couple dancing to it and the song reminded me of my wife when we get older. So it hit me in the feels. Watching a documentary on the game it took a LOT of Ken Levine takes to get this exactly how he wanted it. It's these small things we hardly ever see anymore that create a soul of a game in my opinion.

Last Bioshock but this is Bioshock 1. Sander Cohen the artist. The quest line wants you to take pictures of bodies and place them in a shrine. When complete, Sander Cohen comes down the stairs like he is receiving an academy award.

Soma: This one doesn't have a video, but the moment that:
You realize you are not human - but a copy of your conscience hosted in a Robot and part of a plan to get off the earth to save the knowledge of mankind
That freaked me out a lot.

Horizon Zero Dawn:

I went into this game blind and didn't read much about it aside from knowing it looked awesome. So, when I found my first vantage point and realized I was in Denver, Colorado after seeing this I thought it was cool as hell.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Serpens

<Silver Donator>
Loading the original Doom for the first time and moving my character. Blown away by the 3D.

• 5Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
Spawning for the first time as a Dark Elf in Innoruk, immediately falling into the water and drowning and then spawning outside in the dark forest, not knowing where I was, what was going on.

But in awe that I was in a living, breathing 3D world populated by other players as well as NPCs. It was the start of a beautiful friendship.

• 9Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 9 users

mewkus

Blackwing Lair Raider
beating that arcade game i dumped my pre-teen wage into.
not beating that game i dumped my early teens into when it didn't actually have an end level (fuck you buck rogers).
logging into everquest and going "wow!" then losing my lvl 5 blind human monk in blackburrow and literally despairing. turned out to be the best moment in my life because it introduced me to gnomish necromancy.
getting the hang of eve online and knowing we truly live in the future.
spending 6 months getting killed with no clue in squad.

there was a comic in FSR (about 60 pages back by now) showing a kid in front of a computer, then 6 frames going forward through the ages until he's on his deathbed and as he dies he does a fistpump and goes "yessss". it will probably end something like that.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Dark Forces
Basically my first FPS experience as a kid. I was terrible at the game, but with a lot of time and perseverance, I got to the end. The first time you run into a Dark Trooper, I think I shit my pants.

220px-Dark_Forces_box_cover.jpg

Subnautica
This might be the most immersive game I have ever played. There are moments of pure wonder, exhilaration, and utter terror. Queue this guy... He starts by sneaking up on you, shrieking in your ear, then ripping your Seamoth to a million pieces when you are 1000 feet under the surface of the ocean... RIP:
Reaper_Leviathan_9.jpg

EverQuest
I stayed with my cousin the Summer of '99 and he introduced me to the world's of Fantasy & RPG's. First, he had me play Baldur's Gate. After becoming completely obsessed with it, he unleashed EverQuest on me. 'GG' real life.

I was blown away with just the character creator. The number of races, in combination with the number of classes was amazing. I knew immediately, it was a Troll's life for me and my first character was a Troll Warrior. I also fell into the first pond I spawned by and drown shortly after. The first death of probably 50 on the way to level 10, which took at least a week of non-stop playing.

How do you narrow it down to one moment with a game like EQ?

Seeing Sand Giants mow down dozens of noobs at the Oasis Docks, while you hide in the ocean. Swimming to the bottom of Lake Rathetear and looking for the Kracken. Hearing rumors, then finding an extensive cave system under Everfrost, then running into the crazed undead Lich that murders you in one spell. Making some coin with the Beg skill, only to have an NPC attack and murder you. Trekking to Highpass Hold and clenching your sphincter as you run pass the Mucktail Gnoll Clan patrolling the valleys. Stumbling into this weird zone called Beholder's Maze, getting blinded, and stumbling out of the place an hour later. Losing your corpse in Befallen and developing a true terror of the Necromancer class. Hanging out with the evil boys in the sewers in North Freeport. Hopping on a boat in the Ocean of Tears and seeing a 100 foot tall Dinosaur stomping around an island. Going to Kelethin, hearing the music, and seeing the Wood Elves in the trees. Dungeon crawling though Castle Mistmoore and searching every corner of the internet for information on how to find Mayong. Camping the Ghoul Lord and finally seeing the Ykesha in his hand. Actually seeing a dragon for the first time and then dying .25 seconds later. Zoning into the Plane of Fear and having it rain Blood on you. Returning back to your home city after days of adventuring and dumping all your copper, sliver and gold into the bank, tidying up your inventory and reloading on iron rations & milk.

Those moments were as good as it gets.
Gargrim5_2.jpg

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
In no particular order, really memorable moments.

Samus taking off her helmet at the end of Metroid.

When the T-Rex in tomb raider comes running out of the fog.

Multiple moments in Metal Gear Solid. The heartbeat through the controller, the guy who could read your thoughts and you had to switch to second controller slot.

When Kefka destroyed the planet.

The time traveling in Chrono Trigger blew me away.

Cloud not being Cloud.

The opera scene in parasite eve.

Playing Everquest. The entire concept was just amazing and thrilling to me at the time.

Chris

Potato del Grande
When you have to shoot the portal gun at the moon in Portal 2 to suck the antagonist into space...

THAT isn't the WOW moment, the WOW moment is that the game has subtley been making you hit distant white objects so much THAT YOU ACTUALLY SHOOT THE MOON without thinking about it, because the game trained you to do that.

You wouldn't naturally try that as a serious strategy if you thought about it.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Mizake

Trakanon Raider
The beginning and the ending sequences of The Last of Us. I've been playing computer games for over 30 years, since the original Wizardry, Ultima, Adventure.....and I've never played a game before where I became so invested into the characters as Joel and Ellie in TLOU.

• 2Like
  • 2Solidarity

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Dark Forces
Basically my first FPS experience as a kid. I was terrible at the game, but with a lot of time and perseverance, I got to the end. The first time you run into a Dark Trooper, I think I shit my pants.

220px-Dark_Forces_box_cover.jpg

Subnautica
This might be the most immersive game I have ever played. There are moments of pure wonder, exhilaration, and utter terror. Queue this guy... He starts by sneaking up on you, shrieking in your ear, then ripping your Seamoth to a million pieces when you are 1000 feet under the surface of the ocean... RIP:
Reaper_Leviathan_9.jpg

EverQuest
I stayed with my cousin the Summer of '99 and he introduced me to the world's of Fantasy & RPG's. First, he had me play Baldur's Gate. After becoming completely obsessed with it, he unleashed EverQuest on me. 'GG' real life.

I was blown away with just the character creator. The number of races, in combination with the number of classes was amazing. I knew immediately, it was a Troll's life for me and my first character was a Troll Warrior. I also fell into the first pond I spawned by and drown shortly after. The first death of probably 50 on the way to level 10, which took at least a week of non-stop playing.

How do you narrow it down to one moment with a game like EQ?

Seeing Sand Giants mow down dozens of noobs at the Oasis Docks, while you hide in the ocean. Swimming to the bottom of Lake Rathetear and looking for the Kracken. Hearing rumors, then finding an extensive cave system under Everfrost, then running into the crazed undead Lich that murders you in one spell. Making some coin with the Beg skill, only to have an NPC attack and murder you. Trekking to Highpass Hold and clenching your sphincter as you run pass the Mucktail Gnoll Clan patrolling the valleys. Stumbling into this weird zone called Beholder's Maze, getting blinded, and stumbling out of the place an hour later. Losing your corpse in Befallen and developing a true terror of the Necromancer class. Hanging out with the evil boys in the sewers in North Freeport. Hopping on a boat in the Ocean of Tears and seeing a 100 foot tall Dinosaur stomping around an island. Going to Kelethin, hearing the music, and seeing the Wood Elves in the trees. Dungeon crawling though Castle Mistmoore and searching every corner of the internet for information on how to find Mayong. Camping the Ghoul Lord and finally seeing the Ykesha in his hand. Actually seeing a dragon for the first time and then dying .25 seconds later. Zoning into the Plane of Fear and having it rain Blood on you. Returning back to your home city after days of adventuring and dumping all your copper, sliver and gold into the bank, tidying up your inventory and reloading on iron rations & milk.

Those moments were as good as it gets.
Gargrim5_2.jpg
subnautica is honestly such an amazing experience from start to finish. i normally don't care so much about spoilers or whatever, but in that game, knowing about the creatures before you actually encounter them absolutely ruins the experience

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Metalhead

Blackwing Lair Raider
Lots of good ones here.

One of my oh wow moments was discovering there was a whole nother castle to explore in Symphony of the Night after freeing mind controlled Richter.

• 3Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Completing a non rogue/druid epic where your whole guild is so happy, they TP along w/ you to the final hand in.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
back in like, 1989 or something.. naughty dog made a game for the sega genesis called Rings of Power. it was a pretty terrible game, overall... but there was a code you could input that would make the intro logo show some nudity. it was amazo for my 10 year old self.

Rings-of-Power-Electronic-Arts-Naughty-Dog-Sega-Genesis-Mega-Drive-Nude-Girl-Pixel-Art-Xtreme-Retro.png

• 2Worf
  • 1Weird Boner

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
In Phantasy Star 2, at the end, when you realize the bad guys are the surviving Earthlings looking for a new planet after the destruction of Earth. Then your party said "fuck it" and attacks them, knowing they're going to die regardless. That shit blew my 13 year old mind! Now it would just look like some ham-fisted global warming propaganda.

• 3Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
The first time I ever learned about / did the MissingNo. trick in Pokemon Red/Blue and my young mind (was about 12 or 13 years old) started to grok the way computer programs work. This led to an obsession with hacking games, had a GameShark Pro to make my own codes, got a HEX editor for my PC, etc etc, eventually over the years worked my way up to coding and programming. I'm sure I would have made my way there eventually, but that one brief glimpse inside the janky code of a GameBoy game ended up inspiring a lot of my life.

• 3Like

yimmien

Molten Core Raider
The first time I played a Mario 64 demo kiosk at a Target a few months before n64 released. Absolutely blew my mind.

Loved this scene in CT, shit got me so pumped as a kid.

Entering the witchs woods area in the new God of War in HDR. It had been so long since I had been wowed by graphics in a game. It just looked amazing.

• 2Solidarity

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Lots of moments in EverQuest of course. My first time through Plane of Time, my first guild meeting with the RP guild I joined when I first played called the Gresh’Maj. First time seeing Quarm, finally getting my Time’s Antithesis. Seeing Kurn’s tower for the first time. Getting lost in a million different places. Holding a funeral for a good friend named Ooka, this ogre lady who always wore full pink. Having said funeral get trolled by folks. Parking Koushirou in my favorite spot in Nedaria’s Landing and watching the sun set over the water one last time when I retired.

Getting a GameBoy finally so I could play Pokémon. Still never gets old to me to this day.

Playing FFX for the first time and also it being my first FF game. Yunalesca fight was nuts to me at the time. Also top notch music.

Scoring a US 4th kill on Heroic Ragnaros in WoW. Loved that fight.

Playing Skyrim for almost three days straight in the middle of finals week when it came out.

Lots of good story bombs on Horizon: Zero Dawn and also just a gorgeous game.

Most recently, the Amaurot dungeon from FF14 in Shadowbringers that just came out. This dungeon is a masterpiece of visuals, story-telling, design, and music and currently takes it for my biggest “wow” moment. I can’t really put into words how stunning the experience was.

• 2Like

Cukernaut

Sharpie Markers Aren't Pens
<Gold Donor>
Getting my epic for the first time when I was young in eq was so satisfying.

Adding to this- there were websites for various classes that actually kept lists of people that had their epics because it was somewhat special back then. Getting on that list made me somehow feel like I made permanent history in the game. Lol.

You know, that time in the internet when it had those types of websites was pretty amazing.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
  • 1Solidarity

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>
I rolled a 99 in a /ran 0-99 for a Carmine robe on my first trip to Fear and almost immediately puked up a few hours worth of mountain dew and doritos. At the time it was like the second or third on Povar.

And I totally agree in The Last of Us. The beginning and end are two of the highlights of my modern console experience.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Loved this scene in CT, shit got me so pumped as a kid.

yeah that whole sequence from there up until the giant portal opens up at the end of the Magus battle is so damn good!! so many good cinematic moments, great use of musical cues, it was better directed than the majority of the movies i was watching in the 90s

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity