Your Ideal EQ Server

Zaide

TLP Idealist
If we were to start our own little Rerolled emulated Everquest server, what would you like to see in it?

Template:
  1. Client - (Titanium, Underfoot, Trilogy etc)
  2. Style - (Full Classic, Semi Classic, Custom)
  3. XP Rate - (100%, 150%, 200% etc)
  4. Spawn Timers - (Variance/No Variance) (Faster? Slower? How much)
  5. Difficulty - (Full Raids, Small Raid, Group Oriented, Solo, or Harder than Classic)
  6. Boxing - (No, 2, 3, etc)
  7. Expansions - (Self explanatory)
  8. Progression or Full Release - (Full release i.e. all expansions open at launch)
  9. Red or Blue - (Self explanatory)
  10. Transportation - (Classic, PoK style, Druid/Wiz Port bots, Nexus Style, /zone anywhere)
  11. Soul Binders - (None, Yes in starting cities, Yes in most/all zones.)
  12. Additional Details -

My Answers:
  1. Client - Titanium
  2. Style - Semi-Classic
  3. XP Rate - 150%
  4. Spawn Timers - No Variance, Slightly faster respawns (for raid mobs)
  5. Difficulty - Full Raids (Classic)
  6. Boxing - Two boxing
  7. Expansions - Classic through Luclin
  8. Progression or FR - Progression
  9. Red or Blue - Blue
  10. Transportation - Classic
  11. Soul Binders - I prefer no but would accept starting city binders if population demands it.

I'd like to see additional/semi original GM events
  • Lord Nagafen & Fire Giants attack Freeport.
  • Lady Vox and Ice Giants attack Qeynos.
  • Mayong Mistmoore and MM mobs attack Greater Faydark.

I'd also like some minor changes such as:
  • Mayong Mistmoore is a permanent raid mob.
  • Special Titles for taking part in major server firsts or GM Events.
  • Yellow Text on raid mob kills & major server firsts (ala TLP servers)
  • Plane of Shadow created for Luclin.

Nulolan

N00b
Client - Underfoot
Style - Semi Classic
XP Rate - 150%
Spawn Timers - 24 to 72 hours, random (for raid mobs). Same for group mobs.
Difficulty - Dependent on server size, full raids if its viable.
Boxing - 2 or 3
Expansions - Velious
Progression or Full Release - Progression, 3 months of so unlocks after certain mobs die.
Red or Blue - Blue
Additional Details - I don't want any luclin content, but I would like if the luclin AAs were unlocked after velious is beaten.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
  1. Client - Titanium works fine.... i hated not seeing mana numbers and %ages over the bars and etc.
  2. Style - very slightly modified Classic
  3. XP Rate - 100% is fine by me
  4. Spawn Timers - classic, no variance
  5. Difficulty - classic
  6. Boxing - two boxing
  7. Expansions - classic through PoP, but with PoK travel removed somehow... and no MGBs like we saw on EQMac.... lots of people on EQMac sucked because they relied on MGBs to get them through the first 40 levels
  8. Progression or Full Release - server-wide progression, preferably not tied to raid mobs
  9. Red or Blue - Blue
  10. Additional Details - if you modify it from classic too much then you won't draw enough people to make the server interesting.

i like your additions Zaide... also i would like to see a completed Plane of Mischief instead of the half-itemized version that was in classic.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
Oh, and I'd recruit Nirgon as the Minister of Classic Gestapo to make sure we didn't Kegz it up.

2002User

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Client - Trilogy
Style - Full Classic
XP Rate - 100%
Spawn Timers - No Variance, simulated server repop days
Difficulty - Full Raids
Boxing - 2
Expansions - Ruins of Kunark, Scars of Velious, potentially Planes of Power instead of Luclin but with a more classic game design
Progression
Red or Blue - Sullon Zek rules > Red > Blue

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
i've said this a lot, but as a social experiment i would love to see an item-loot PVP server with Firiona Vie style removal of NO DROP tags

possibly with teams, and if there are teams then also add in Firiona Vie style language restrictions

edit -- actually lets do Firiona Vie language restrictions either way

and the classic Firiona Vie Trivial Loot Code.... no level range on PVP, but apply Trivial Loot Code to PVP as well.

Friday

Lord Nagafen Raider
Template:
Client - Titanium
Style - Full Classic
XP Rate - 100%
Spawn Timers - (Variance)
Difficulty - (Full Raids)
Boxing - (No)
Expansions - (Progression based on account)
Progression or Full Release - (Custom progression unlocks)
Red or Blue - (Blue)
Additional Details - Remove all no drop item flags

2002User

i've said this a lot, but as a social experiment i would love to see an item-loot PVP server with Firiona Vie style removal of NO DROP tags

possibly with teams, and if there are teams then also add in Firiona Vie style language restrictions

edit -- actually lets do Firiona Vie language restrictions either way

and the classic Firiona Vie Trivial Loot Code.... no level range on PVP, but apply Trivial Loot Code to PVP as well.
Sounds like a pretty neat concept.

Swagdaddy

There is a war going on over control of your mind
Template:
Client - Titanium
Style - Full Classic
XP Rate - 100%
Spawn Timers - (Variance)
Difficulty - (Full Raids)
Boxing - (No)
Expansions - (Progression based on account)
Progression or Full Release - (Custom progression unlocks)
Red or Blue - (Blue)
Additional Details - Remove all no drop item flags
awww yissss

Zaide

TLP Idealist
Imagine the griefing you'd see if it was individual progression with normal spawns etc. The top guild could literally cockblock the whole server out of experiencing an entire expansion. Want to play Iksar? Better join Guild X.

You'd definitely have to make individual progression based on something besides raid mob kills.

Jorren

Maximum Derek
<Bronze Donator>
Client - Everything
Style - The way it is now
XP Rate - Test
Spawn Timers - Random everything
Difficulty - Hardcore
Boxing - Sure
Expansions - Everything
Progression or Full Release - Full Release
Red or Blue - Both, though I have never played Red in EQ
Additional Details - Let us trade everything. Get rid of the level limit on item drops.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I think individual progression server, where you have multiple options to unlock expansions would be ideal. I always thought it was gay as aids that they had progression servers where you could sit back and let the uber guilds unlock everything. What is the point of a progression server, when maybe 50 people on the server are the only ones actually "progressing"?

Individual Options to Unlock Expansions:
1. Kill the expansions raid mobs.
Other option...
2. Personal quest path that included doing things like class quests, named mob bounty hunting, faction grinds, story quest lines, etc.

Example 1: To unlock Kunark, you could kill Vox & Nag. OR you could finish your class appropriate level 30 armor set, gain level 45, and gain a minimum of 125 skill in a primary tradeskill.
Example 2: To unlock Velious, you could kill Trak, Venril, & Phara Dar. OR finish your epic weapon. OR you could gain level 60 & hunt down and kill 20 different named mobs in Sebilis/Chardok/Howling Stones.

2002User

I think individual progression server, where you have multiple options to unlock expansions would be ideal. I always thought it was gay as aids that they had progression servers where you could sit back and let the uber guilds unlock everything. What is the point of a progression server, when maybe 50 people on the server are the only ones actually "progressing"?

Individual Options to Unlock Expansions:
1. Kill the expansions raid mobs.
Other option...
2. Personal quest path that included doing things like class quests, named mob bounty hunting, faction grinds, story quest lines, etc.

Example 1: To unlock Kunark, you could kill Vox & Nag. OR you could finish your class appropriate level 30 armor set, gain level 45, and gain a minimum of 125 skill in a primary tradeskill.
Example 2: To unlock Velious, you could kill Trak, Venril, & Phara Dar. OR finish your epic weapon. OR you could gain level 60 & hunt down and kill 20 different named mobs in Sebilis/Chardok/Howling Stones.
Another really cool concept. I like the idea of multiple objectives to unlock progression; forcing you to do it, not the resident uber guild.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
As far as personal quest path

Classic
Slay the following mobs:
1. The Ghoul Lord or The Froglok King (Good v Evil Alignment)
2. Efreeti Lord Djarn
3. Avatar of Fear
4. The Ishva Mal

Complete the following quests:
1. Your class quest from Sol Ro Temple (Monks must get the Red Sash of Order and Purple Headband instead)
or
2. Get over 120 in at least three tradeskills.

Nulolan

N00b
Zaide you totally had me until:

2. Get over 120 in at least three tradeskills.
No but really this is a real cool idea for a thread, type of EQ server I would like the most was always something I would occasionally think about.

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
real talk.

Client - Titanium
Style - Full Classic
XP Rate - 250%
Spawn Timers - Variance
Difficulty - Full Raids
Boxing - No
Expansions - Classic, Kunark, Velious
Progression - Accelerated Progression (6 Months Classic, 6 Months Kunark)
Red or Blue - (Self explanatory)
Additional Details - FV Removal of all NO DROP tags, Item loot, 4+/4- PvP Range, 3 Teams (Humans, Shorties+Elves, Evil), FV Language Restrictions, Implement OT Hammer for Non Evils and give Paladins Summon Corpse, 1 team 1 character per IP.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
I edited the original post to include two important factors; travel and binding.

I think most people prefer full classic in both categories if population supports it but when pop is low druid/wiz porter bots and soulbinder npcs make the experience a bit more reasonable.

Herv_sl

shitlord
Template:
Client - Titanium
Style - Semi Classic
XP Rate -200%
Spawn Timers - As fast as it needs to be to avoid the usual shit shows. Pocket Instances or Triggered by guild, all on hate list flagged for 3 days.

Difficulty - Four Groups?
Boxing - 3
Expansions - PoK Books
Progression or Full Release - Full Release
Red or Blue - Blue.
Transportation - PoK Books
Soul Binders - Yes
Additional Details - It seems the big problem is open raid targets, whatever mitigates this even a little bit would be crucial. The folks that want to race for raid targets are probably the same folks on black friday.

axeman_sl

shitlord
A server that has shards with instanced raid content. Each shard would contain only the zones with raid targets as well as any trash mobs that are relevant to the encounters. No other mobs exist on these shards. Each qualified raid guild is assigned a shard and can transfer their characters to and from their designated shard at will, but there's no reason to stay there outside of raid sessions as nothing else can be done there. You can't go there and farm seafuries or something, you can only raid. Mobs on these shards have their classic spawn times. The rest of the game takes place on the real server, including perhaps some of the more publically accessible raids like Phinny and such; the shards are intended for stuff like VP and NToV. Account flags prevent people from guild-hopping in order to access more than one raid shard in any given week.

Everything else to be 100% ultra-classic.

That'd be the only thing that really makes sense to me. It seems pointless to make another P99 clone that will just repeat the problem that plagues that server. I highly doubt anyone will make a new classic server of higher accuracy or mechanical quality, so the only reason I can see for wanting to make a new server at all is to provide an alternative to the broken P99 endgame. The only thing P99 doesn't do is simulate the fact that Everquest had about two dozen servers to choose from, and there's really no way to do that without instancing content somehow, but this would have to be done in a way that doesn't compromise other aspects of the game -- hence shards.