Zero Dark Thirty (2012)

Wuyley_sl

shitlord
So I just watched this tonight and they didn't explain a couple of things. How is the girl recruited from high school? Is this movie BS, or confirmed? Also, why did they not keep the body and IIRC toss it into the ocean? It also doesn't go into why they released a fake picture of his dead body and why they still haven't released it yet.

Szlia

The official reason for a burial at sea is that it has the double advantage of respecting muslim tradition and not leaving a grave site that could become a symbol or a pilgrimage destination.

Pancreas

Vyemm Raider
So I just watched this tonight and they didn't explain a couple of things. How is the girl recruited from high school? Is this movie BS, or confirmed? Also, why did they not keep the body and IIRC toss it into the ocean? It also doesn't go into why they released a fake picture of his dead body and why they still haven't released it yet.
You might want to askthiswoman why we have never released concrete evidence of his death.

Pancreas

Vyemm Raider
That edit was too slow. The NSA had the time to store it.
I suddenly remembered this wasn't the general forum. No point in derailing a thread about some entertaining fiction
tongue.png

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
yeah this movie blew. the most boring spec ops raid ever.

necro'ing this. Just watched it 3 times over past few months, cuz I might use it in my RL (teacher).

The end of the film, after everything is done, the female lead is alone and thinking about this terrible journey. Tell me the soundtrack music is not a very subtle vamp on the MASH theme. The first three notes of the theme (Call it the "He is finally dead" theme) are almost exactly the same, and as the credits role it gets even closer.

If so, sly move by K. Bigelow the director. Very sly.

edit: about 2h 25 m mark.

Last edited:

kudos

<Banned>
This move is a great piece of film if you're an analyst or in the intel community at all. It's a true story and it's actually the most talked about because Camp Chapman was the worst killing of CIA personnel in 25 years (the car bomb on base). It's a great example of why checks are put in place and why you do not break protocol for special cases such as that.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
The official reason for a burial at sea is that it has the double advantage of respecting muslim tradition and not leaving a grave site that could become a symbol or a pilgrimage destination.

The source being clandestine in nature has raised more than a few eyebrows, criticisms of the "burial" notwithstanding. Intelligence services have aided and abetted many lies and manipulated many agendas over the decades, I'm afraid we have to favor healthy skepticism here.

The movie was a piece of shit, and pales even further without 3rd party confirmation of the actual execution, nevermind the capture itself. I'm not saying give him a trial, as that would be a threat to national security, but at least some chain of custody outside of the CIA would have been really nifty and cool of them.

And it could have worked wonders for this story.

kudos kudos The fact he wasn't droned along with the 1,000 other people who were droned in the region that year speaks to something being amiss. He was an intelligence asset, anyone who understands what that means knows he would have been rendered, not killed. That is why boots were put on the ground. That is why he wasn't droned, because intelligence assets aren't summarily executed-- they get rendered. Tossing him off a boat just doesn't jive. The community knows that but aren't free to speak their mind.

So I just did it for you.

Last edited:

kudos

<Banned>
The source being clandestine in nature has raised more than a few eyebrows, criticisms of the "burial" notwithstanding. Intelligence services have aided and abetted many lies and manipulated many agendas over the decades, I'm afraid we have to favor healthy skepticism here.

The movie was a piece of shit, and pales even further without 3rd party confirmation of the actual execution, nevermind the capture itself. I'm not saying give him a trial, as that would be a threat to national security, but at least some chain of custody outside of the CIA would have been really nifty and cool of them.

And it could have worked wonders for this story.

kudos kudos The fact he wasn't droned along with the 1,000 other people who were droned in the region that year speaks to something being amiss. He was an intelligence asset, anyone who understands what that means knows he would have been rendered, not killed. That is why boots were put on the ground. That is why he wasn't droned, because intelligence assets aren't summarily executed-- they get rendered. Tossing him off a boat just doesn't jive. The community knows that but aren't free to speak their mind.

So I just did it for you.
Yeah, let's drone a fucking location literally steps away from a god damn air base and training facility.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Fadaar

That guy
Yeah... you aren't going to fly a non-stealth aircraft that near a Pakistani air base at the normal altitude that Predators/Reapers operate at. Their only option was either some kind of stand off weapon (JSOW, Tomahawk) or bring boots in low and quiet, especially with that type of target. You'd want identification done immediately.

kudos

<Banned>
Let's not also forget had it not been for the fucking helicopter crashing and burning they would have never known anything happened which was the whole point. Some a-rab on Twitter in a neighborhood was the only one going on about it for hours. They were already near the border before the Paki's starting going for them.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Don't get too worked up, jayrebb thinks vaccines are an insidious government plot or something. Of course Bin Laden is still alive in his mind.

• 1Picard

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Yeah, let's drone a fucking location literally steps away from a god damn air base and training facility.

Fair enough. Next.

Why no TOS order? What's up with the extraction?

Are you going to use the positive identification excuse? Would he have not have been identified before violating the sovereignty of Pakistan?

No terminate on sight is just another indicator to me that he was rendered.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Don't get too worked up, jayrebb thinks vaccines are an insidious government plot or something. Of course Bin Laden is still alive in his mind.

I'm afraid the burden is on you to prove that he wasn't rendered. I can't post the actual hack, but anyone familiar with it knows which email I'm referencing. Wikipedia is as far as I'm willing to take it. I won't even link to a fucking news article on it. Barrett is essentially doing prison time for linking to the actual email pool itself in an article. Heads rolled.

Str4tfor is a top contractor. They deal in operations and collection for the D3partment of Defens3.

2012–13 Stratfor email leak - Wikipedia

An email involving a Stratfor analyst stated that it had been determined that up to 12 officials in Pakistan's Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI) agency knew of Osama bin-Laden's safe house.[11] Another email indicated that Stratfor Vice President Fred Burton had knowledge of the killing of bin Laden, and that the body was not dumped at sea, but rather sent to Dover Air Force Base in the United States.[12] This further fueled doubts about the US Government's account of the killings.[13]

That's all you get buddy.

Last edited:
  • 1Picard

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I'm afraid the burden is on you to prove that he wasn't rendered. I can't post the actual hack, but anyone familiar with it knows which email I'm referencing. Wikipedia is as far as I'm willing to take it. I won't even link to a fucking news article on it. Barrett is essentially doing prison time for linking to the actual email pool itself in an article. Heads rolled.

Str4tfor is a top contractor. They deal in operations and collection for the D3partment of Defens3.

2012–13 Stratfor email leak - Wikipedia

That's all you get buddy.
I could argue that the burden of proof is actually on you, since you're the one making the claim that is contrary to the official story. However, I don't really care, and I'd say the burden I wanted proven, that you are a nutburger, has been pretty well handled by this very post of yours. So thanks for doing my job for me!

kudos

<Banned>
Fair enough. Next.
Would he have not have been identified before violating the sovereignty of Pakistan?
He was never positivley identified. It's well known they used GEOINT and specifically had help from NGA (which is semi-evident from the movie if you watched it).

Here's an article from 2008 which mentions how they should find OBL using shadows: Shadow analysis could spot terrorists by their walk

One of the main things they used was his height as it was significantly different than those in the region.

Also, you're completely disregarding the nurses who gained access to the compound.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I could argue that the burden of proof is actually on you, since you're the one making the claim that is contrary to the official story. However, I don't really care, and I'd say the burden I wanted proven, that you are a nutburger, has been pretty well handled by this very post of yours. So thanks for doing my job for me!

The people can decide. Nutburger, but all I know is Void isn't the Associated Press senior editor, you aren't CBS News, you aren't NPR, you aren't Reuters. You are none of those guys. Me? I'm with those guys. We've got questions we want answers to.

The burden is still on you and the narrative, considering your own refusal to turn over records of physical evidence.

The primary source of skepticism about the U.S. government's story has been its own refusal to provide any physical evidence to substantiate its claim. Though the Abbottabad raid has been described in great detail by U.S. officials, no physical evidence constituting actual proof of his death has been offered to the public, neither to journalists nor to independent third parties who have requested this information through the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA).[22] Numerous organizations filed FOIA requests seeking at least a partial release of photographs, videos, and/or DNA test results, including The Associated Press, Reuters, CBS News, Judicial Watch, Politico, Fox News, Citizens United, and NPR.[23] At the time of filing their FOIA request, The Associated Press said:

This information is important for the historical record. That's our view.

— Michael Oreskes, Senior Managing Editor, The Associated Press[22]

Well said Michael Oreskes.

***MIC DROP***

Last edited: