Car ?'s

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I got rear ended at the gas station while pumping gas last Saturday.

By some Mexican who recognized that he hit me, then immediately drove off. So I call up insurance. Cosmetic damage was done to the tailgate of my Tundra. But they apparently have to replace the entire tailgate... and the faggot body shop USAA had me to go wants to keep the totally driveable truck for the duration of the repair. Which is ~3 weeks.

What the fuck is going on here?

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>

By some Mexican who recognized that he hit me, then immediately drove off. So I call up insurance. Cosmetic damage was done to the tailgate of my Tundra. But they apparently have to replace the entire tailgate... and the faggot body shop USAA had me to go wants to keep the totally driveable truck for the duration of the repair. Which is ~3 weeks.

The obvious answer is to get an EV so you don’t have to go to the gas station :trollface:

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Tell them you will bring it in when the parts are there and the work will be done. Otherwise, find a new place. There is no rule that says you have to use a shop the insurance company picks.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Tell them you will bring it in when the parts are there and the work will be done. Otherwise, find a new place. There is no rule that says you have to use a shop the insurance company picks.

There can be benefits though. I got rear ended a few years ago and Allstate gave me a lifetime warranty on the repair if I used their recommended shop.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
People used to go to a busy shopping center/mall and find one of a close year and color and then drive off with it in their vehicle. I guess they mostly have locks on them now.

Assuming yours damaged the truck as well as the tailgate? Sounds like a scam to get insurance to pay for storying your vehicle for a few weeks. I've never heard of that and my mom retired from the office of a body shop.

Rais

Trakanon Raider
you get a life time warranty for using their partner shop. Tell them to order the parts and you’ll be back. Happens 100% of the time and your truck more than likely on back order right now anyways. Partner shops don’t get paid to sit on cars at the shop so there isn’t a benefit for them to keep it there. The repair cycle time and how much rental you burn up will hit their numbers.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
you get a life time warranty for using their partner shop. Tell them to order the parts and you’ll be back. Happens 100% of the time and your truck more than likely on back order right now anyways. Partner shops don’t get paid to sit on cars at the shop so there isn’t a benefit for them to keep it there. The repair cycle time and how much rental you burn up will hit their numbers.
Hit what numbers? Not sure what you're talking about. I have a rental they gave me for now.

Burns

Hit what numbers? Not sure what you're talking about. I have a rental they gave me for now.
Numbers in terms of their bottom line. The shop gets to charge the insurance company a storage fee while your truck sits there and waits for parts. If the shop is also setting up the rental/loaner car, then they get to charge the insurance company for that. If they are using a outside rental company they probably still get a "referral" skim too.