Car ?'s

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I got rear ended at the gas station while pumping gas last Saturday.

By some Mexican who recognized that he hit me, then immediately drove off. So I call up insurance. Cosmetic damage was done to the tailgate of my Tundra. But they apparently have to replace the entire tailgate... and the faggot body shop USAA had me to go wants to keep the totally driveable truck for the duration of the repair. Which is ~3 weeks.

What the fuck is going on here?

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>

By some Mexican who recognized that he hit me, then immediately drove off. So I call up insurance. Cosmetic damage was done to the tailgate of my Tundra. But they apparently have to replace the entire tailgate... and the faggot body shop USAA had me to go wants to keep the totally driveable truck for the duration of the repair. Which is ~3 weeks.

The obvious answer is to get an EV so you don’t have to go to the gas station :trollface:

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Tell them you will bring it in when the parts are there and the work will be done. Otherwise, find a new place. There is no rule that says you have to use a shop the insurance company picks.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Tell them you will bring it in when the parts are there and the work will be done. Otherwise, find a new place. There is no rule that says you have to use a shop the insurance company picks.

There can be benefits though. I got rear ended a few years ago and Allstate gave me a lifetime warranty on the repair if I used their recommended shop.

• 1Like

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
People used to go to a busy shopping center/mall and find one of a close year and color and then drive off with it in their vehicle. I guess they mostly have locks on them now.

Assuming yours damaged the truck as well as the tailgate? Sounds like a scam to get insurance to pay for storying your vehicle for a few weeks. I've never heard of that and my mom retired from the office of a body shop.

Rais

Trakanon Raider
you get a life time warranty for using their partner shop. Tell them to order the parts and you’ll be back. Happens 100% of the time and your truck more than likely on back order right now anyways. Partner shops don’t get paid to sit on cars at the shop so there isn’t a benefit for them to keep it there. The repair cycle time and how much rental you burn up will hit their numbers.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
you get a life time warranty for using their partner shop. Tell them to order the parts and you’ll be back. Happens 100% of the time and your truck more than likely on back order right now anyways. Partner shops don’t get paid to sit on cars at the shop so there isn’t a benefit for them to keep it there. The repair cycle time and how much rental you burn up will hit their numbers.
Hit what numbers? Not sure what you're talking about. I have a rental they gave me for now.

Burns

Hit what numbers? Not sure what you're talking about. I have a rental they gave me for now.
Numbers in terms of their bottom line. The shop gets to charge the insurance company a storage fee while your truck sits there and waits for parts. If the shop is also setting up the rental/loaner car, then they get to charge the insurance company for that. If they are using a outside rental company they probably still get a "referral" skim too.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
I have some sort of custom lug nuts on the wheels of my Hyundai Tucson that were put on by previous owner. I vaguely recall having the tool at some point but I can't locate it. I can't replace my tires or brake pads until I find the custom key/attachment to remove them.

Is anyone familiar with this? Where would I start looking? What should I be looking for? Should I just take it to the dealership, have them remove them and put on standard lug nuts?

What the best way of solving this?

IMG_20240519_164733867.jpg

IMG_20240519_164736648.jpg

IMG_20240519_164740789.jpg

IMG_20240519_164755530.jpg

IMG_20240519_164803941.jpg

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I have some sort of custom lug nuts on the wheels of my Hyundai Tucson that were put on by previous owner. I vaguely recall having the tool at some point but I can't locate it. I can't replace my tires or brake pads until I find the custom key/attachment to remove them.

Is anyone familiar with this? Where would I start looking? What should I be looking for? Should I just take it to the dealership, have them remove them and put on standard lug nuts?

View attachment 529465

View attachment 529466

View attachment 529467

View attachment 529468

View attachment 529469
these are spline lugs
yours looks like a 6 spline
spline lug nut socket

• 1Like

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>

View attachment 529465

View attachment 529466

View attachment 529467

View attachment 529468

View attachment 529469
Code:
https://www.amazon.ca/MIKKUPPA-Point-Spline-Nuts-Socket/dp/B087227SCK

Screenshot 2024-05-19 at 16-58-42 MIKKUPPA 1pc 6 Point Spline Lug Nuts Socket Key - for 17.6mm...png

Kobayashi

Vyemm Raider
This is the kind of innovation I like to see.

You're joking, right? Maybe I'm just to fixated on the title of that video. Unless you've got an adjacent axle like that trailer, this thing would be completely useless for changing a tire in a normal vehicle.

It's kind of interesting for jacking up the wheels, not sure I'd trust crawling underneath it though.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
You're joking, right? Maybe I'm just to fixated on the title of that video. Unless you've got an adjacent axle like that trailer, this thing would be completely useless for changing a tire in a normal vehicle.

It's kind of interesting for jacking up the wheels, not sure I'd trust crawling underneath it though.
i'd love to see the youtubes on it

except the torque would send the wrap around ramps up into the fender

i know it's only for a trailer, but come on, ppl are gonna try to use it otherwise

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
This is the kind of innovation I like to see.

There's a simpler version that's been around for years...

Screenshot 2024-05-22 7.47.53 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-05-22 7.49.16 PM.png

Yes they are only useful for tandem axle trailers but they are tits when you have a flat on a trailer full of cows and unloading them along the side of the road isn't really an option. Very much more secure than keeping a trailer full of large moving critters balanced on a hydraulic or hi-lift jack and that's assuming you can actually get a jack under the trailer that is also capable of lifting it high enough to get the tire off. I have one with me every time I pull a trailer.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
My woman has decided she wants a god damn Rivian R2 and not the Rav4 I had been pushing on her.

God help me.

• 1WTF

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
My woman has decided she wants a god damn Rivian R2 and not the Rav4 I had been pushing on her.

God help me.

I was debating between a Model 3 and a Rav4 plug in hybrid. Ended up getting on the waiting list for the Rav4 at a Toyota dealership in SoCal that is the largest in the world that doesnt charge any mark ups. The main thing that scared me for a full EV was the range anxiety. The plug in hybrid gives me the best of both words where I dont have to use gas most the time but dont have to worry about range issues. Charging EVs in public is a pain.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I was debating between a Model 3 and a Rav4 plug in hybrid. Ended up getting on the waiting list for the Rav4 at a Toyota dealership in SoCal that is the largest in the world that doesnt charge any mark ups. The main thing that scared me for a full EV was the range anxiety. The plug in hybrid gives me the best of both words where I dont have to use gas most the time but dont have to worry about range issues. Charging EVs in public is a pain.
What’s your commute like? Other frequent driving? Potential to charge at home?

IMO the biggest factor between the Model3 and RAV4 is cargo area, which the RAV wins handily. Though the Model 3 trunk is good sized.

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
What’s your commute like? Other frequent driving? Potential to charge at home?

IMO the biggest factor between the Model3 and RAV4 is cargo area, which the RAV wins handily. Though the Model 3 trunk is good sized.

Moving tomorrow and about to have a 45 mile round trip commute at the new place. Plus with my fiance now we drive around a ton on the weekends. So the 40 mile battery range of the Rav4 plug in hybrid will nearly handle it and will hardly use any gas for my commute. Wanted the Rav also for ground clearance. Like to go rock climbing outdoors so the extra ground clearance helps to get to some of the climbing spots. Currently drive a 2015 WRX that keeps having more and more problems. The Rav4 is gonna be a lot more practical for my needs. Should also add im moving into my fiance's place and she has solar. During peak summer her electric bill is $20 a month and that is with running AC all the time. So figure the electric driving will basically be free.

I was gonna go with the Tesla at first even with the range anxiety since the dealer experience with a high demand Toyota is awful. But found out that the largest Toyota dealership in the world is in SoCal(where I am) and they dont charge mark ups and just get you on a waiting list for the high demand cars. Got on the waiting list a few weeks ago and they told me 1-3 months for the Rav4 Prime with the premium package option.

These things seem to do it all. With 300hp, 40 mile electric range, and 40 mpg after that. Can drive 600 miles with a full tank and a charged battery.

Last edited: