Favorite albums of all time?

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
After getting over my music snob phase I came to a serious conclusion: Madonna slaps.
yeah, at the time her music was way overplayed on the radio and videos were playing nonstop and they were hyping her up way too much as the second coming or something, i was more into the underground stuff like speed metal, stuff they didnt play on the top 40 stations. so it took a long time for all the Madonna stuff to subside and then i could pay attention to her songs and then i realized she was actually very good and perhaps deserved some of that hype she got during the 80s and 90s. not all though. she was also a gorgeous chick before she got that horrible perm and became a sex machine. i liked her better with her denim outfits. she looked more like the girl next door.
iu

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I always come back to Can't Buy a Thrill by Steely Dan. Masterclass album

• 1Like

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I always come back to Can't Buy a Thrill by Steely Dan. Masterclass album

More of an Aja guy but Steely Dan as a whole is fucking amazing. Can't Buy a Thrill is certainly one of the better albums.

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Some more albums I can play start to finish. Metal edition

Opeth - Orchid. I could choose many albums from this group and the usuals always get mentioned, Blackwater, Ghost Revs etc. But for me its the original.

1714964972878.png

Original Sabbath - The birth of Metal

1714965164295.png

Pantera - Vulgar display of Power. Easy straight through listen

1714965321199.png

Metallica - Justice for All. The hipster choice I know.

1714965381179.png

Machine Head - Burn my Eyes. This album got me into metal and just holds a special spot.

1714965453318.png

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
More of an Aja guy but Steely Dan as a whole is fucking amazing. Can't Buy a Thrill is certainly one of the better albums.
I just listened to Aja today and forgot deacon blues was on it. I think I give the lead guitar a better score on Thrill but the composition and overall feel might go to Aja.

Vuuxo

Karen
<Gold Donor>
These were albums I listened to A LOT when I was growing up.

1000004258.jpg

Benediction: The Grotesque/Ashen Epitaph

1000004259.jpg

Metallica: Master of Puppets

1000004260.jpg

Carcass: Reek of Putrefaction

1000004261.jpg

Napalm Death: Scum

1000004262.jpg

Testament: LOW

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
As an old fart, most of my top ten list is going to be dominated by classic rock (I will leave classical out of this since the thread is about albums) but I do have something from most decades in here and a lot of styles. For something to be a top ten for me, it has to be something I will play on a loop and never hit skip track while listening to. Limiting myself to one spot per band. So, my list is basically:

1- Night at the Opera (Queen) - The masterpiece of what is probably my favorite band of all time.
2- Ok Computer (Radiohead) - I could probably justify putting multiple records by Radiohead on this list, but this is clearly the standout that I can listen to repeatedly and never get tired of, as well as finding new little quirks of music they stuck in the mix.
3- Abbey Road (Beatles) - I have listened to this record my entire life and still enjoy it. So many people covered tracks from this over the years as well.
4- Vampire of Time and Memory (Queens of the Stone Age) - Never thought anything would top Songs for the Deaf, but then along comes this album and then honorable mention Villains practically one right after the other.
5- Back in Black (AC/DC) - Hard rock was basically dead and AC/DC had a total unknown replacing a legendary front man. This record changed the entire music scene and caught everyone by surprise when it came out. I consider it the definitive hard rock album of the entire genre.
6- Running on Empty (Jackson Brown) - The half in concert style of this album set it apart from anything before or since. This record is still insanely popular (and good).
7- Songs in the Key of Life (Stevie Wonder) - I am not a funk or RnB guy, but holy shit is this record still amazing. So many hip hop people ripped this album off for sample tracks. The whole thing is a cover to cover masterpiece that would be my number one if I were into those genres.
8- Sports (Huey Lewis and the News) - Every song off of that fucking record is a top ten hit basically. Its easily one of the most well remembered and successful albums of that entire era of music.
9- Breakfast in America (Supertramp) - This is the one album wonder on my list, but god damn if its not an amazing record. Goodbye Stranger tops a list of all time classics.
10- The Long Run (Eagles)- Tough call between this, Hotel California, and On the Border as for which is their best. I have to give the nod to The Long Run because it has the most variety (Hotel California was basically a Don Henley album in all but name) and really showcases all the talents of what really was one of the last supergroups ever to exist.

Honorable Mentions:
Uprising (Muse) - I really like Muse, but like most of their records this one had some skippable shit that was just poppy singles aimed at women.
Downward Spiral (NIN) - Amazing record, but I really need to be in the right mood to listen to it.
Days of Future Passed (Moody Blues) - Another amazing record, but you really need to be in the right mindset to sit down with this one.
Let the Bad Times Roll (Offspring) - I hated these guys when they first emerged, but they have won me over with each record and this one tops them all. Every song on it is great.
Blue Album (Masters of Reality) - You either love this album or you don't know it exists. Wall to wall blues standards with a hard rock band backing them sounds amazing.
Aenima (Tool) - Probably the best all around record by one of the most unique hard rock bands to ever exist.
Grind (Alice in Chains) - Probably the best grunge album of all time for people who don't worship Pearl Jam and Sound Garden.
Flood (They Might Be Giants) - Almost made my top ten, but its another record I have to be in the right mood for.
Four (Blues Traveller) - A few forgettable tracks, but the bulk of this record are all time classics that have aged a lot better than most 90s music.
Full Moon Fever (Tom Petty) - Only reason this one did not make my top ten is that they overplayed the living fuck out of it back when it came out.

• 1Like

Djay

Trakanon Raider
I just saw this thread...I made a list a couple years ago, so I'll share it even though I doubt most of you will agree with it based on the musical tastes I'm seeing. There were a couple albums mentioned here recently that I'll go check out (Sports and The Cars) to see if they meet my criteria, though.

Criteria:
Every song on the album needs to be enjoyable; Nothing that I'd skip during a road trip.
Replayability is important. Can I leave the same album playing in my car for a month or more without getting sick of it?
Flow is impossible to quantify and hard to qualify, but albums where one song leads into another (musically or thematically) is a plus.
Greatest Hits and Compilations are excluded.
Unless specifically noted, the albums listed are the base albums, not extended versions. Hidden tracks are not taken into account.

Finally, it should go without saying, but this is my personal musical preference. Genres I don't enjoy are not going to be represented, obviously.

American Idiot - Green Day
Bat Out Of Hell - Meatloaf
Blue Album - Weezer
Breakaway - Kelly Clarkson
Diamond Rio - Diamond Rio (Putting this one as an honorable mention, as it bends one rule - I skip the last song on the album because it's purely instrumental)
Gasoline - Theory of a Deadman
Jagged Little Pill - Alanis Morissette
Kerosene - Miranda Lambert
Kickin' It Up - John Michael Montgomery
Measure of a Man - Kevin Sharp
Poodle Hat - "Weird Al" Yankovic
Revolution - Miranda Lambert
Rumours - Fleetwood Mac
Songs About Jane - Maroon 5
Stand Still, Look Pretty - The Wreckers
Thriller - Michael Jackson
Under My Skin - Avril Lavigne

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Tholan

Blackwing Lair Raider
In no particular order
Deftones - Adrenaline
System of a Down - steal this album
Pennywise - Full Circle
NOFX - The Decline
Queens of the stone age - Songs for the Deaf

I would add Blink 182 - Enema of the state on the list cause I played that cd for like 4 years straight, especially during my early everquest play, but I don't listen to it anymore. But the nostalgia is strong, play one song and I can tell you what i was doing in EQ during that - killing aviaks in South karana, Camping the Caitiff in Mistmoore castle, etc. fun times.

• 1Like

Drakurii

Golden Baron of the Realm
8- Sports (Huey Lewis and the News) - Every song off of that fucking record is a top ten hit basically. Its easily one of the most well remembered and successful albums of that entire era of music.
My freshman year HS was '86 thank you for this mention holy fuck, 3 months from 52 years old the memory isn't what it used to be. 80's is the best decade in history hands down.