Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
[SERIES][TVPOSTER]
N0BjnG960GEIFgMx40BjpwyUAc.jpg
[/TVPOSTER][SERIESWRAP][EPISODENAME]11.22.63[/EPISODENAME]

Genre: [GENRE]Drama[/GENRE], [GENRE]Sci-Fi & Fantasy[/GENRE]

First Aired: [RELEASE]2016-02-15[/RELEASE]

Overview: [PLOT]An English teacher travels back in time to prevent the Kennedy assassination, but discovers he is attached to the life he has made in a bygone era.[/PLOT][/SERIESWRAP][/SERIES]

this is an 8 part miniseries based on the Stephen King novel about traveling through time to prevent JFK assassination and stars James Franco
its out as of yesterday, havent seen it yet.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
There is. They're just trying to convince you to buy Hulu Plus. When you go to the homepage, just click the Hulu logo in the top-left corner to get past the advertisement.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
I watched this last night and was impressed with it. I haven't read the book it is based on,but the length of it seems suited to the miniseries format. I actually like that they are releasing one episode a week because it allows time to talk about it with people vs having to hide until you shotgun the whole series and then play catching with commentary.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Np. Was surprised when I saw the ad during Better Call Saul.

Also from that trailer I think the starting timeline is different from the book by a few years. Isn't it 57 or 58 during pennywise's feeding?

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Np. Was surprised when I saw the ad during Better Call Saul.

Also from that trailer I think the starting timeline is different from the book by a few years. Isn't it 57 or 58 during pennywise's feeding?
In the novel he goes back to '58 and basically has 5 years to prepare to stop the assassination. Not sure they can do a novel of that size and depth justice in 9 episodes.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I'm guessing they explain it later, but

Why doesn't he just kill Oswald ASAP and see if that saves JFK? If it turns out Oswald didn't even kill Kennedy then he could just reset the timeline by going back and forth real quick. Also, don't know if I missed it but did it explain how he comes back to the present?

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I'm guessing they explain it later, but

Why doesn't he just kill Oswald ASAP and see if that saves JFK? If it turns out Oswald didn't even kill Kennedy then he could just reset the timeline by going back and forth real quick. Also, don't know if I missed it but did it explain how he comes back to the present?
i read the book back in 2011 so my memory is a lil hazy on every detail, but the way i remember it
the diner owner dude went back first and did a whole bunch of research on the events, but he still wasnt sure if in fact it was oswald and not somebody in a "conspiracy" so since he was dying he entrusted his research and secret of time travel to the hero. that research told him what he needed to do and events he needed to confirm and then how he needed to kill oswald. also there i8s a "something" that is trying to stop him from changing fixed points in time so its very difficult for him to just cap oswald and come back home.
there is more but thats all i can remember right this second. when i watch the show the other little details will come back.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
i read the book back in 2011 so my memory is a lil hazy on every detail, but the way i remember it
the diner owner dude went back first and did a whole bunch of research on the events, but he still wasnt sure if in fact it was oswald and not somebody in a "conspiracy" so since he was dying he entrusted his research and secret of time travel to the hero. that research told him what he needed to do and events he needed to confirm and then how he needed to kill oswald. also there i8s a "something" that is trying to stop him from changing fixed points in time so its very difficult for him to just cap oswald and come back home.
there is more but thats all i can remember right this second. when i watch the show the other little details will come back.
This is pretty correct
The goal is only to save JFK. The diner guy is not certain that Oswald killed JFK so it doesn't guarantee anything. Even if you kill Oswald early and he was the shooter, the diner guy believes he was hired to do it so someone else just will if Oswald is gone.

So far the show is ok. They have changed some things around from what I remember (He gets there in 57-58 instead of 60, he doesn't go straight to Dallas right away, etc.). I'm not the biggest fan of James Franco but it seems like they got most of the general idea from the book. One more thing

With him showing up in 60 and going straight to Dallas, I thought they were going to skip over the whole 1st third of the book where he saves that student's family (where his mother and siblings are killed with a hammer) but it looks like they are not which is good. I also wonder with it being a miniseries how in depth they are going to get with the romance of the girl.

I thought the book was really good, one of King's better ones.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I understand the part where he thinks Oswald might not have done it, or that someone else may have put him up to it. But it's explained early on that if he comes back to today and then goes back to the 60s again, everything happened the first time is erased. So why not kill Oswald, come back to today to see if it worked and if didn't go back and forth to erase you ever killing Oswald.

Basically the time travel version of save scumming

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
I understand the part where he thinks Oswald might not have done it, or that someone else may have put him up to it. But it's explained early on that if he comes back to today and then goes back to the 60s again, everything happened the first time is erased. So why not kill Oswald, come back to today to see if it worked and if didn't go back and forth to erase you ever killing Oswald.

Basically the time travel version of save scumming
Yea he can technically do that (he actually does something like this with the student's family because he sorta screws up at first) but also keep in mind that he has to wait for Oswald to get back from Russia first which means he has to spend time in the 60's. Also time is actively trying to prevent him from changing anything which means it isn't going to be easy. Not sure if the show is going to go into it but the way it's explained in the book is the bigger the change you are trying to make, the more resistance 'time' is going to give you from changing it).

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm disappointed they didn't use the grandfather paradox joke:

"Yeah, but what if you went back and killed your own grandfather?"

He stared at me, baffled. "Why the fuck would you do that?"
I loved the simplicity of that and can really picture Chris Cooper delivering the line.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Watched the second episode last night. That is a turn I was not expecting, although it should have been obvious that something of that nature was going to occur.

BoldW

Molten Core Raider
Anyone still watching this? I was a bit preoccupied but wasn't much for this last episode.. I'll rewatch it though. First few episodes were good.

Djay

Trakanon Raider
I was really into it after the first couple episodes. The last couple have felt a little flat to me, though. The "clothespin" thing came out of nowhere and confused me. Hoping the second half of the season gets back on track.

uncognito

Trakanon Raider
I have been enjoying this for the most part. but they seem to be getting side tracked a lot. a little less of the love story/husband would be nice. I also was expecting him to go back to his time and see some changes by now then start over again when he sees he fucked stuff up. I was looking forward to the outcome of him saving the life of that guy's family and killing his dad. like perhaps it turns out the guy's mom was a psycho and fucked him up and he ended up exactly the same, or he turns out to be very smart/normal and is the principal of the school.. or whatever. but instead we are stuck watching the main dude romance some chick, and the useless stuff with her ex.

moar time travel, less BS.

khalid

Unelected Mod
Really liking this. They have lots of changes to the book, but they keep the core, which to me is the relationship with Sadie and the struggle to deal with the assassination. Great show.