12 Years A Slave

Sterling

El Presidente
Yes, italian immigrants had it just as bad as blacks held in slavery, no doubt...

Every time one of these movies comes out some moron has to display his thesis on why slavery wasn't that bad and there is no reason to ever talk about it. Every fucking time.
Yeah, I can't believe Astrocreep posted something shitty. Never has that happened before.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Yes, italian immigrants had it just as bad as blacks held in slavery, no doubt...

Every time one of these movies comes out some moron has to display his thesis on why slavery wasn't that bad and there is no reason to ever talk about it. Every fucking time.
This , I also find it funny how people think slavery hasn't been around for hundreds of years and people need to get over it. Peoples great grandparents were slaves for Gods sake, it wasn't THAT long ago.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
long ago enough that nobody alive has any memories of being a slave in the US or knowing a relative that was a slave

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Seems like you were stating facts, not an opinion. For example I think you should be banned is an opinion. You are a moron, is a statement of fact?

See the difference fucktard?

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
The opinion was black people need to stop thinking somebody owes them something because their ancestors were treated poorly by white people ancestors. The fact that nobody alive was ever a slave here bolsters that opinion. These movies basically hold black people back from ever becoming self reliant. Shit needs to stop and people like you need to stop buying into that white guilt shit.

Juvarisx

Florida
I wonder if that point of view will be prevalent in 20 years or so when the last Holocaust survivor dies.

Regardless clearly noone here has seen the movie, I see nothign wrong with making a drama about a "taboo" time in Americana as long as its done tastefully and its well acted. From reviews this seems to be the case and I really don't see how making a movie about black ancestry holds them back any. Sounds like projection of guilt if nothing else and swings right back into the question posed earlier in this post. Would a film like Schindler's List be accused of holding Jews back if it was made 20 years from now and not in the 90's.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Is this one of those sorry tales where black people are slaves "boo hoo" or is it from the white man's perspective and all the white dudes will leave the theater high-fiving eachother and feeling motivated?

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
these movies are so heavy handed, they make the crackers super mustache twirly evil and the slaves are portrayed as super humble and friendly. i decided to just skip these kinds of flicks. my family came to america about ten years after all this shit went down and we (italians) were discriminated against as well. boofrickityhoo. get over yourselves black people.
Implies ALL movies about slavery are heavy handed ::

The alternate representation being what, that slavery was anything less than horrible in every aspect?

Implies that white people are displayed as predominantly wrathful, slaves portrayed as victims ::

As opposed to slave owners who were not inherently malicious; slaves who deserved their bondage?

Does the degree of a slave owner's maliciousness qualify the legitimacy of slavery?

Why would a true story depict a malicious slave owner as less malicious?

Would it not make sense that a malicious person would treat a slave worse than a less malicious person?

Would it not be likely that adherents to slavery were of an order of mental sociopathy that allowed for such maliciousness, as such characterization would go hand in hand with the act of slavery?

Failed to recognize Brad Pitt's character as being sympathetic towards the slave's plight?

Making argument about general black population being self victimizing over an era in history that is no longer relevant ::

No counter arguments, as this argument does not fit the context of this thread.
Thread pertains to a movie of historical events, it has no bearing on a commonly held view by a specific population of people.

Conclusion, your argument is stupid because this movie is a depiction of something that happened, not a nod to a world view held by a population of perople

Your argument might hold a degree of validity were it in the context of the correct thread, which this is not.

However to clarify the fog that surrounds the way in which your brain links together patterns of thoughts ::

You should not feel any guilt for being white, because the slave owner was white; the color of one's skin has no bearing on their responsibility toward events that happened prior to their own existence.

You should be able to sympathize with the black person, as he is a human like you, who is put in a terrible situation and must overcome it.

Anyone that uses events that occurred prior to their existence to self-victimize their existence will find no reprieve, as the past cannot be un-wronged by parties that did not exist at the time or that no longer exist.

As a white person you should be able to appreciate that Africans sold through the slave exchange, had a terrible existence and appreciate the heritage that the descendants of those blacks
have with relation to that history, coming from a place of no money, no culture, no history beyond that of servitude, living in a nation that at one point considered you to be property.

As a black person that is descended from Africans sold through the slave exchange, you should be able to appreciate the terrible circumstances that your ancestors had to overcome, that each step they took, was forward in
the direction of progress so that you, their future children and grand-children would inherit a life not burdened with their past. That is not to say by my meaning, to forget your past, but to reconcile with the the knowledge the past can not be undone, and only the future can be progressed.

As a person you should understand slavery is as old, if not older than humanity, that the people who devised and used it were and are sociopaths who lack empathy with their common man, and their reign should never come again, or continue in places were their reign has yet to end.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Looks like a great film. Astro is gonna Astro, but that doesn't make this film look any less promising. Also: F limited releases, we live in the digital age. I would understand if a theater doesn't want to show it, but with a cast like that? C'mon.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I wonder if that point of view will be prevalent in 20 years or so when the last Holocaust survivor dies.

Regardless clearly noone here has seen the movie, I see nothign wrong with making a drama about a "taboo" time in Americana as long as its done tastefully and its well acted. From reviews this seems to be the case and I really don't see how making a movie about black ancestry holds them back any. Sounds like projection of guilt if nothing else and swings right back into the question posed earlier in this post. Would a film like Schindler's List be accused of holding Jews back if it was made 20 years from now and not in the 90's.
I actually think it is important that they make movies about these kind of taboo subjects. Most people are completely ignorant of what life was really like then. Like, some of the shit from Django Unchained was so far from reality it was dumb, but some of the violence and brutality he showed was just how life was back then in large parts of society. People need to be educated on the realities of shit like the holocaust or slavery, and if our education system isn't going to do it then popular culture might as well.

Buu_sl

shitlord
They have to meet their yearly quota of "white man bad" movies, and I suppose they have already exhausted the black power sports movies (the one involving the all black swim team was the shark jump).