2019 NFL Offseason: Chargers Started Early

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Gurley should be an easy reference for why not to give a giant contact to a running back with health concerns.

• 4Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Gurley should be an easy reference for why not to give a giant contact to a running back with health concerns.
Exactly the reason I feel this way. If they want to give him a big pay day it needs to be one where the team can cut him in the future with minimal impact as he declines.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
When we say health concerns though, they guy missed 5 games total his first 3 years, and played all 16 two years ago. The play he got hurt on towards the end of the year last year was some dumb ass double reverse they decided to run up a couple scores if I recall. Pretty freak play.

I agree on not giving any RB a lot of term, but he's still a stud TD producer and one of the better finishers inside the 10 yard line. Before the injury he was killing it for them.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
He's had nagging injuries throughout his career, though, besides just the games he's missed. This last year was the only year he produced a good yards per rush average. If I was a fan of the Chargers, I'd feel pretty nervous about giving him Gurley/Bell money.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lasch

Trakanon Raider
That will make fantasy football a bit more frenetic with the cap on games played.

• 1Like

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Nobody wants to watch fucking games with a back up QB, especially ones that count. Even if they made an exception for QB's no fucking thanks.

FFS this idea is bad.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
NFL has no idea what they're doing. I will still lap it up all Sunday while looking forward to Thursday and Monday nights.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah that is a pretty retarded proposal. You would probably have to expand the roster to allow for that.

Holy shit what a terrible idea

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
It does have some strategic value to it. For instance, Patriots could rest all of the starters except a few maybe during week 15-18. Would also allow for you to decide which teams you can get that W from without key players. Maybe you have some injuries and you play light loads for the starters before and after the bye.

Shitty for fans but potentially have big impacts on your teams season.

EDIT if you are a Philly fan you could schedule around Wentz next injury and maybe have him in the post season for once

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Worf

Merrith

He's had nagging injuries throughout his career, though, besides just the games he's missed. This last year was the only year he produced a good yards per rush average. If I was a fan of the Chargers, I'd feel pretty nervous about giving him Gurley/Bell money.

I don't think any RB should get Burley/Bell money, the shelf life is just too short. But I think sometimes his injuries only get reported/etc more because Chargers have such a decent backup. Always a thing in fantasy if Gordon is heard to be nursing anything. I imagine most guys nurse stuff all year. Obviously the thing last year happened, but 5 games in the first 3 years isn't too bad for a RB, and I heard the injury prone stuff going into last year too. Still can't believe they ran that play with the score the way it was in that game. His yards/rush did jump this year, but first time in awhile they felt like a complete team, and he's always a threat catching the ball, too. Solid at getting into the end zone, as well.

• 3Like

Merrith

I have to be honest, at first I thought this was dumb as shit...but if they expanded the rosters a little? Backup QB's might be a little better around the league, development of lower round picks might accelerate if they got a couple games in. That said, selling the idea to fans is a little weird. Even if 100% healthy, your favorite stars HAVE to sit 2 games. Obviously Belichick would figure out the perfect formula of who to sit when so his winning % in games where all his starters aren't in is some ungodly amount better than any other coach's.

• 1Like
  • 1Barf

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I have to be honest, at first I thought this was dumb as shit...but if they expanded the rosters a little? Backup QB's might be a little better around the league, development of lower round picks might accelerate if they got a couple games in. That said, selling the idea to fans is a little weird. Even if 100% healthy, your favorite stars HAVE to sit 2 games. Obviously Belichick would figure out the perfect formula of who to sit when so his winning % in games where all his starters aren't in is some ungodly amount better than any other coach's.

You're watering down the only sports season where almost every game is crucial and throwing in a silly gimmick. You're risking fucking things up to squeeze a couple extra dollars out of a season

• 4Solidarity
  • 3Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 7 users

Merrith

You're watering down the only sports season where almost every game is crucial and throwing in a silly gimmick. You're risking fucking things up to squeeze a couple extra dollars out of a season

This is true. Scrap it.

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
On one hand, everyone hates four preseason games, and more real games equals more money for everyone. On the other hand, players point out few players get out of even 16 game seasons healthy, so 18 is just a recipe for backup QBs in playoffs. Hence this Frankenstein proposal.

Leaving aside the realism of it passing, I would expect most teams would go all out at the start of the season and essentially treat it as a 16 season league with two weird 'pre'season weeks after that everyone ignores. You would have to exclude some positions - is a playoff team going to cut a guy just so they can roster a second punter for two weeks - but most players probably miss two games in the course of a season anyway. The downside is the cellar dwellers buying tickets for the superstars coming to town and getting their stunt doubles instead.

My preferred scenario is to lose a preseason game or two and add more bye weeks. Make TNF teams or London teams always have byes the Sunday before. Extra rest should make players healthier and therefore appear in more games per season. The total number of games doesnt increase, but the number of TNF / MNF games does, as well as the average audience per game - don't tell me you guys don't have some other game on in the background, even if your team is on a bye.

• 2Like

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Get rid of 2 pre season games.
Add two more weeks to the season
One week is an additional bye week. The other is a 17th game.

Bump the roster to 55.

• 1Like

Sterling

El Presidente
Get rid of 2 pre season games.
Add two more weeks to the season
One week is an additional bye week. The other is a 17th game.

Bump the roster to 55.
could use that extra game as those shitass neutral field foreign games that fuck over a team by counting as a home game.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf