2021 Academy Awards: why even bother

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I can't think of another year where i've seen a lower percentage of nominated movies. I've seen very, very few of these.
Only film on this entire list I have seen is Love and Monsters. Worst award season ever.

Cybsled

I thought that to be Oscar contention a movie had to have at least a limited theatrical release?
Did they wave this for the Kung Flu?

For something to be eligible, it usually has to be released in a few select major cities for at least a week. It can literally just be at one theater, I think.

For this year, they loosened that restriction a bit since many theaters were closed.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Barely anything got released in 2020. It’s easier to win a contest when there are less contestants to go against, and the ones you do go against are all in your league
Which is why I say it's going to cheapen the award in general.

When Sacha Baron Cohen wins an Oscar (or possibly even 2 this year), it makes every other one look ridiculous.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Which is why I say it's going to cheapen the award in general.

When Sacha Baron Cohen wins an Oscar (or possibly even 2 this year), it makes every other one look ridiculous.
the oscars have been meaningless for at least ten years.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Cybsled

Pretty much. The award has been shit in so many years. Like Shakespeare in Love winning over Saving Private Ryan.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
Of those nominated:
I've seen pieces of a woman and promising young woman which were both very good.

I've seen the Eurovision movie which was bad but had it's moments.

I've seen mulan which was awful.

I saw the first 20 minutes of borat 2 and then turned it off.

elidib

Vyemm Raider
Just finished Sound of Metal. I loved it, whatever awards it wins are completely deserved and Riz Ahmed was incredible. No contest for best actor, not even from Gary Oldman.

I don't know that Paul Raci really brought enough to earn best supporting actor for it. I haven't seen Judas but I'm sure Lakeith Stanfield will win for that category.

Mank is the kind of movie hollywood jerks themselves off over, so it will probably win best picture.

Don't care about any of the others categories.

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
this is like the third oscars where I haven't watched a single nominated movie.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Of those nominated:
I've seen pieces of a woman and promising young woman which were both very good.

I've seen the Eurovision movie which was bad but had it's moments.

I've seen mulan which was awful.

I saw the first 20 minutes of borat 2 and then turned it off.

Obviously different opinions, but I hated promising young woman. “Oh every man is a rapist.” Fuck that! The women I’ve dated are much worse pieces of shit than I am ;)

Juvarisx

Florida
Saw "The Father", as someone who had a grandparent with dementia its a really powerful movie. Hopkins should win Best Actor for it its really really good.

spronk

FPS noob
Bad Boys 3 and Bloodshot were robbed

they can only make it up if they give all the oscars to Zack Snyder's Justice League in 2022

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
Fuck man.

I looked through that list. What the hell are these movies??

Not too long ago, you'd know most of them by name, seen a few and that way you had a 'horse in each race' so to speak. But this year . . . .

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
Sound of metal -grade A. Deserves awards.

Borat 2- My youngest kid basically insisted we watch it. It's one of the worst movies I've ever tried to watch. I made it about a half hour in, he made it 15 minutes.

Szlia

I actually saw Trial of the Chicago 7 in theater just before they got closed again. Enjoyable movie, but nothing amazing. Sasha Baron Cohen is indeed very good in it.

Some of my friends have seen Mank and Promising Young Woman and liked them, so I heard of them, but I have seen neither. Pretty curious about them all though. Especially Sound of Metal and Nomadland (the previous film by Chloé Zhao was the very very good The Rider). Also Minari : a korean language american film ? You don't see that every day !

I have seen exceptionally few movies in 2020 (just shy of 70 compared to around 300 usually) and the ones that stand out have not been 2020 movies.... The best I can do is Dwellings in the Fuchun Mountains. It's a quiet, unusually long family portrait with several moments of pure cinematographic bravado, but it's a 2019 film. I guess Portrait of a Lady on Fire is 2020 for the US ? It was nominated for best foreign language film at the Golden Globes last year though.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Almost this entire thread: I haven't heard of something so it must be bad and not worth watching.

spronk

FPS noob
mank is the story of the jew who was the writer for citizen kane, its gonna win a lot of awards since hollywood loves movies about itself and its in black and white so thats like auto oscar boner

its probably pretty good since it has Gary Oldman and Amanda Sigfried but i could not give a single fuck about old hollywood stories