2023-2024 NFL Season : Arizona's QB Search Continues

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
He needs to pick right and get his shit together that's for sure. He has basically played his way out of the hof these past 2 years

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Im mean, im out of the loop. Besides the Lets Ride meme shit and shitty coaching, what happened to make Russ so hated?
didn't he give an interview where he literally said he didn't give a fuck about the fans or the team? Aside from that he seemed to be full of nothing but platitudes. Like he had a -2 charisma modifer. He'd say the right things and no one would buy it.

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
I'm not sure I see that Wilson is a better option than Mayfield. I mean, maybe he's asking for a crazy amount of money, but he's much younger and he showed some pretty good success last year with an offensive line that wasn't that good. I don't think Wilson is going to come there and play better.

oh I’m not saying he’s better than Baker. I’m saying he’s good enough on a vet minimum to take the bucs to the playoffs in that shit division

Fadaar

That guy
Dude is so underrated - hes going to end up top 5 in every stat pretty much and people still act like Julio was better. Evans has had, what, 3 years of GOOD QB play in his career and is an all timer. Imagine if he would have had a decade of Matt Ryan or Matt Stafford.

He had 5~ish years of Jameis "Send It!" Winston and 6 straight seasons (2017-2022) of the Bucs being top 5 in passing yards, 5 of those years being #1 or #2. He was a massive part of it and bailed Winston out so many times. I dread to think what his INT's would have been without Evans.

edit: Also fuck no to Wilson, I'll pass. The team gelled nicely over the course of the season, rather give Baker at least one more year.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
He had 5~ish years of Jameis "Send It!" Winston and 6 straight seasons (2017-2022) of the Bucs being top 5 in passing yards, 5 of those years being #1 or #2. He was a massive part of it and bailed Winston out so many times. I dread to think what his INT's would have been without Evans.

edit: Also fuck no to Wilson, I'll pass. The team gelled nicely over the course of the season, rather give Baker at least one more year.

Fair point, he had good quality QB play overrode by pure volume and garbage time

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Wilson never learned to see the field like a real elite QB. Seattle's run-heavy offense and his big arm and excellent ability to escape and make plays outside the offense made him exciting to watch even though he always took a lot of sacks that got blamed on the O-line but he also contributed to them. Then he started getting butthurt about not getting any MVP votes and convinced Pete to open up the offense and let him throw the ball more which made it clear that he couldn't see the field because he was throwing tons of picks while also being too beat up to run around like he used to. Pete took back over the offense despite maximum Russ butthurt and traded him to Denver in an all time great trade.

Russ rolled into Denver with his own trainer, strength and conditioning coach, and massage therapist that were just for him and acted like Jesus Christ himself had come to town to play football. On a bad team with a bad coach his limitations became even more obvious and of course he stunk up the place and got the coach fired. Sean Payton managed to polish the turd a bit this year, but the fact that they released him and ate $85M tells you everything you need to know about what Payton thinks of him. He thinks the team is better off paying Russ $85M to not play for them. Pick that dude up at your peril. He's a bad QB with a huge ego and a locker room cancer. Russ is cooked.

Last edited:
  • 6Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 6 users

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Then he started getting butthurt about not getting any MVP votes and convinced Pete to open up the offense and let him throw the ball more which made it clear that he couldn't see the field because he was throwing tons of picks while also being too beat up to run around like he used to.

You can blame the sacks on his lack of field vision but in what season did he throw a ton of picks that was wildly inconsistent with the run heavier offenses (accounting for higher volume)? Seems like pretty consistent play with normal variation, certainly so in his Seattle years.

1709748754177.png
1709748834774.png

Russell Wilson has never been careless with throwing the ball. He's #8 all time in interception percentage. He would rather take a sack than force the pass in a lot of situations and that's certainly a problem but he never was throwing tons of picks. His year with the most is also the one with the most touchdowns and yardage and was sandwiched by three pretty low interception seasons.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Ome

Molten Core Raider
Plus this year you can get Russel Wilson on a one year bridge for pennies thanks to the Broncos picking up the tab.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
You can blame the sacks on his lack of field vision but in what season did he throw a ton of picks that was wildly inconsistent with the run heavier offenses (accounting for higher volume)? Seems like pretty consistent play with normal variation, certainly so in his Seattle years.

View attachment 518371 View attachment 518372

Russell Wilson has never been careless with throwing the ball. He's #8 all time in interception percentage. He would rather take a sack than force the pass in a lot of situations and that's certainly a problem but he never was throwing tons of picks. His year with the most is also the one with the most touchdowns and yardage and was sandwiched by three pretty low interception seasons.
I don't have stats but it was during the "let Russ cook" experiment. Throwing from the pocket means throwing to where receivers are going to be and reading defenders to know that the players are going to be open at that spot. If you watch a legit pocket quarterback they are very often letting go of the ball before the receiver even comes out of his break and deciding where to throw by which way a safety or linebacker takes his first couple of steps. If you can't do that, but you can run around and buy time then the defense breaks down and you can just see the guy is open and throw to him. You don't throw a lot of picks playing like that because you don't have to use as much timing and anticipation. The problem is you need to be quick and agile enough to stay away from the Watts and Bosas of the world while you're waiting for your guy to get wide open and that gets harder and harder to do the older you get and the more sacks you take.

To give Russ some credit, I don't know if I've ever seen anyone more elusive than Wilson in his prime. The number of times I thought we had him dead to rights for a sack and he somehow weaseled out of it and then completed a pass down field made him frustrating as hell to play against. I'm sure plenty of defensive players and coordinators have laid awake nights thinking about it.

Last edited:

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
To give Russ some credit, I don't know if I've ever seen anyone more elusive than Wilson in his prime. The number of times I thought we had him dead to rights for a sack and he somehow weaseled out of it and then completed a pass down field made him frustrating as hell to play against. I'm sure plenty of defensive players and coordinators have laid awake nights thinking about it.

Completely different style of escapability, but Big Ben gave me endless rage fits for years.

• 2Like

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Wilson is toxic as fuck in the locker room. That is why Denver was willing to eat a giant shit sandwich to get rid of him. It's also why Seattle never had a deep run again after their SB loss to the Pats. Dude ran off two top level WR off the team (granted one banged his then fiance LOL) and is probably the biggest reason Lynch threw in the towel when he did. He is only worth it at "free" for teams that are complete dumpster fires or circuses already. If Darth Bill were still around, sure the Pats could get some use out of him at the bargin bin price he is at because Bill gives no fucks and would reign in his bullshit. Anywhere else, he is going to make a bad situation worse with his Jesus pimping and weird other bullshit he brings with him.

And I don't think he is washed up, I think he was never that good in the first place. He had great success..... when he had the best RB in the game and a monster Defense built on rookie contract and Sneaky Pete's inside knowledge of the existing incoming draft talent. In the end of his run with the Seahawks after all that had long melted away? Gino Smith was able to do just as well as he did with the same people around him. He also has to be the all time beneficiary of PI calls over the years, which again tapered off (especially in Denver) when he clearly lost a step. He got payed way too much for his actual level of talent. He is like a slightly more successful/better coached Dak. Denver were idiots for making the trade they did.

• 1Like
  • 1Cutler
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 2 users

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Full picture for those that don't want to have to click on it.

It is pretty astonishing the number of safeties that were released though.
1709839008956.png

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
Keep in mind, were these salaries or 'salaries' that were almost never going to happen in reality and would have seen a restructure if the players were good enough to stay with the team, probably driven by backloading contracts during the covid-driven salary cap shrinkages?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
It's funny to hear them talk about the Russell Wilson trade being the worst ever when we literally watched Joe Flacco's old ass make Cooper and Njoku look like stud playmakers while Deshaun "Fully guaranteed contract" Watson looked barely a step above hot shit.

• 2Like

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Yeah Watson screwed the Browns for a lot more money and has produced possibly even less than Wilson. I guess since they haven't cut Watson yet, and they probably won't because it would be $136.9M in dead money which is like half the cap, there is still hope for that one.