3DS, DS, Gameboy RPG's

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
Figured a 3DS, DS, Gameboy rpg thread would be fitting since the library is pretty large. This thread can serve as can archive for all the really good nintendo-based handheld RPG's.

off the top of my head:

-Dragon quest series.
-The World Ends With you.
-Shin Megami Tensei series.
-Mario and luigi RPG titles.
-Various Final Fantasy remakes.
-Chrono Trigger remake.

Any other suggestions for great RPG'S for Nintendo handhelds, to expand this thread, would be great.

Szlia

As far as RPG oddity go, Grasshopper Manufacture released a bizarre game on DS called Contact. I played very little of it so I can't say much, but you can checksome reviews.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Disgaea
Orcs and Elves
Heroes Saga: Laevatein Tactics
Etrian Odyssey (There's 3 of them)
Black Sigil: Blade of the Exiled
Dawn of Heroes
Fire Emblem (I think there's two of these)
Luminous Arc (1 and 2)
Rondo of Swords
Suikoden Tiekreis
Valkyrie Profile
Puzzle Quest (1 and 2)
Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes
Knights in the Nightmare (Weird fuckin game)
Chrono Trigger
Bunch of Final Fantasy games
Bunch of Dragon Warrior games

Those are ones I've played that I remember are playable/fun. Dragon Warrior 9 is the best NDS RPG out there imo. The Final Fantasy remakes are solid, as is the Chrono Trigger remake. Play Knights in the Nightmare if you want to be entertained and confused for a few hours.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
I loved the Etrian Odyssey games. The second one wasn't magical compared to the other two, but still solid. If are a fan of some fairly difficult fights with old school map making built into the game... You simply can't go wrong with those three.

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
Disgaea
Orcs and Elves
Heroes Saga: Laevatein Tactics
Etrian Odyssey (There's 3 of them)
Black Sigil: Blade of the Exiled
Dawn of Heroes
Fire Emblem (I think there's two of these)
Luminous Arc (1 and 2)
Rondo of Swords
Suikoden Tiekreis
Valkyrie Profile
Puzzle Quest (1 and 2)
Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes
Knights in the Nightmare (Weird fuckin game)
Chrono Trigger
Bunch of Final Fantasy games
Bunch of Dragon Warrior games

Those are ones I've played that I remember are playable/fun. Dragon Warrior 9 is the best NDS RPG out there imo. The Final Fantasy remakes are solid, as is the Chrono Trigger remake. Play Knights in the Nightmare if you want to be entertained and confused for a few hours.
Ah, thank you. I was trying to remember what the name of Knights In a Nightmare was. Why is this game so weird? It looks pretty awesome.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I don't remember specifically. I just remember it being very confusing on what the goals were and how to achieve them. I remember it being fun, but also remember being completely lost.

From Wikipedia...

Battle

The battles take place in real time on an isometric grid (see Isometric graphics in video games). The "Wisp," which resembles a small ball of light, is controlled via the touchscreen and moves around the field to give orders to allied units. When the wisp comes into contact with a unit that can be controlled, the attack must be aimed by moving around the Wisp into one of the four intermediate compass directions and then lifting the stylus off the touchscreen. However, the wisp will be under constant enemy fire, so the player must guide the Wisp to dodge the shots as well as order the allied units to attack. Normal attacks generate "Gems", which recharge the Magic Point meter. Equipment, such as swords, axes, and magical wands, can be used to generate Skill Attacks which can kill enemies and destroy objects on the field.

Despite having a timer, "time" is only deducted for charging attacks and when the player's wisp takes "damage" from on-screen bullets. Thus the player has virtually unlimited "time" to plan strategies and in this manner resembles other turn-based strategy role-playing games, but this is done instead in real time. If there is any "time" left, it can be converted in the Pause Menu to either Experience Points or Magic Points and will end the battle "turn".

To further change the pace of the battlefield, the game has a "Rush Count" system. Each time an enemy is hit, this counter ups by one and activates the condition associated with that number, as long as that number remains the same between hits and if there is one available. For example, one hit to an enemy may give a Rush Count number of replenishing to a Knight, similar to how a healing potion works in common role-playing games, while another hit may give maximum health to the enemy.

Goals

Excluding boss battles, the goal of each battle is not to defeat as many enemies as possible, but to align the enemy deaths in a tic-tac-toe style (that is, horizontally, vertically, or diagonally) across the "Enemy Matrix" (which is displayed at the bottom of the screen) labeled in-game by "KILL markers". This isn't accomplished in one "turn", but over multiple, since the enemies are selected manually by the player via roulette. Since boss battles always have one central enemy to kill, this system isn't used, and is instead represented by a health bar going across the bottom of the screen, but these bosses normally have extremely large amounts of health and deploy larger amounts of bullet hell-like instances.

However, there are a limited number of times the player can have in any of these battles. Permadeath exists as characters have a "Vitality" stat which decreases when they use skills, and the same applies to the Equipment, but is referred in-game as "Durability". Vitality is replenished through leveling up in the Setup screen, the "Transoul" system, and other special circumstances such as the "Rush Count" system, while Durability is similarly acquired from merging like Equipment.

Azziane_sl

shitlord
Figured a 3DS, DS, Gameboy rpg thread would be fitting since the library is pretty large. This thread can serve as can archive for all the really good nintendo-based handheld RPG's.

off the top of my head:

-Dragon quest series.
-The World Ends With you.
-Shin Megami Tensei series.
-Mario and luigi RPG titles.
-Various Final Fantasy remakes.
-Chrono Trigger remake.

Any other suggestions for great RPG'S for Nintendo handhelds, to expand this thread, would be great.
People need to post the platform. I'd be interested in some 3DS RPGs for my kid's christmas.

Malice_sl

shitlord
Tales of the Abyss is a surprisingly decent 3DS RPG, been playing through it recently. Has a pretty nice sense of scale to it.

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
People need to post the platform. I'd be interested in some 3DS RPGs for my kid's christmas.
As posted above, Tales Of The Abyss is supposedly pretty good. The 3ds is a little limited on RPG's but it's backward compatible so that's not much of an issue. If you're looking for 3ds specific titles it's going to be more limited, though. Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overlocked is another one, but i'm not sure about your kids ages so that might be a hard one to recommend.

Malinatar

Lord Nagafen Raider
Necro(ing) this thread. So I just got my older daughter (8) a 3DS XL for her birthday and does anyone have any recommendations for any fun games for that age? Also I'm sure I'll get some time with it here and there so does anyone have any updates to any RPGs since December they've played?

Azziane_sl

shitlord
My 8 year old has about 10 games on her 3DS but only ever plays Mario Kart and donkey kong. I think Classics are the way to go on handhelds. I have not bought any yet but if she's into RPGs I think FFIV has been remade on the DS and retro-compatible with 3DS.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Etrian Odyssey 4, Fire Emblem Awakening, and Shin Megami Tensei IV have all been released since December.

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
Anyone played the FF4 remake? I'm thinking of checking it out. I heard that it's a lot harder and the gameplay improvements are pretty awesome. Wanted to see if anyone has checked it out before i buy it. Those old school ATB RPG's are a never-ending addiction for me, and I have no dragon quests except for 8 left to play(and sadly my PS2 is dead).

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
The World Ends With You is worth the cost of a DS alone. The DS was an amazing system.

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
The World Ends With You is worth the cost of a DS alone. The DS was an amazing system.
I bought The World Ends With You and thought the gameplay was fantastic but I fucking hated the look, the music, and the dialogue.

Needless

Toe Sucker
Anyone played the FF4 remake? I'm thinking of checking it out. I heard that it's a lot harder and the gameplay improvements are pretty awesome. Wanted to see if anyone has checked it out before i buy it. Those old school ATB RPG's are a never-ending addiction for me, and I have no dragon quests except for 8 left to play(and sadly my PS2 is dead).
It's a little harder, i still prefer the sprite version though just because of the true nostalgia you get from it. Definitely worth playing anyway.

I chuckled at the thought of an 8 year old girl trying to play through SMT4... yeaaah nooooooope.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
The Etrian Oddyssey games are top notch RPGs. Can't recommend them enough. There's a remake of the first game that came out this past week so it probably got drowned out by Pokemon to some extent, but it is really really good.