8-Bit Christmas (2021)

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
My kid would love this movie. Fuck you multiple streaming services.

Was considering switching from Netflix to Crave and that gets HBO max. Hmmmmmmm........

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
SNES was definitely the king of the early 90s consoles

One birthday I got the super scope - that bazooka looking lightgun setup for the game. Some of those games were hard, though. You actually had to lead your shots on some of the games, like that alien invasion one.
Super Scope was amazing. My brother and I used it for several years after as a heavy club for beating the shit out of each other, too.

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
i would never shit on the 2600, a lot of great games and they tried stuff

like for yars revenge, you actually learned how to play the damn game by reading the comic book that it came with

hell, i just re-read this comic for nostalgia and it's pretty good!

Moon Patrol was my go to game back then. I just couldn't get enough of it.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

phisey

Buzzfeed Editor
Looks like you guys probably need to watch Hi Score Girl the anime. It's basically a love-letter to 90's console gaming, Arcades and the history of fighting games.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Looks like you guys probably need to watch Hi Score Girl the anime. It's basically a love-letter to 90's console gaming, Arcades and the history of fighting games.

I'll check that out. Its hard to sift through all the garbage anime out there to find the gems. Thank god for the anime thread.

• 1Like

phisey

Buzzfeed Editor
High score girl is great.
Yeah but it's really just well-made boomer-bait.

If you were born after 1995 it'll just be another funny but forgettable coming-of-age anime. But if you lived through the 90's, had arguments with your classmates about nintendo vs sega and ever biked to spend all Saturday inhaling second-hand smoke in an arcade, it's irresistible.

• 1Like

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah but it's really just well-made boomer-bait.

If you were born after 1995 it'll just be another funny but forgettable coming-of-age anime. But if you lived through the 90's, had arguments with your classmates about nintendo vs sega and ever biked to spend all Saturday inhaling second-hand smoke in an arcade, it's irresistible.
Are you retarded? Boomer? Try genx or early millennial

• 1Edgelord

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah the boomers were the ones buying us this shit. They may still like it for memories of their kids and Christmas.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i was the only kid i knew who had the Atari 7800 and the Sega CD. they were fun, but it sucked too because i had nobody to trade games with. my options werre to play the same games over or hit Funcoland at the mall for used games if they had them.

• 1Like

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Being that I turned 40 in August, I remember Atari 2600, NES (I skipped SNES) and finally upgraded with a 3DO years later. Kept at my Dad's house, and got a PS1 at my mom's house. Those were great times.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i remember i was like 8, and my mom found a "going out of business" times square electronics store, they really were going and it was just this huge bin of 2600 games for 1$ each

• 3Like

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Being that I turned 40 in August, I remember Atari 2600, NES (I skipped SNES) and finally upgraded with a 3DO years later. Kept at my Dad's house, and got a PS1 at my mom's house. Those were great times.
I worked as a manager at Babbage's during the 90s. I remember the 3DO retailing for $699. This was what? 1993? Freaking insane.

• 3Like

Cybsled

Failures like 3DO and even Sega Saturn highlighted the need for the "magic console pricepoint". For the longest time, no one really wanted their console to pass the $300 barrier and games rarely went past $50 after PS1 saw a lot of success vs the N64 and its pricey cartridges.

Of course, all that shit is right out the window now. In a way, I blame Apple. I think once companies saw people were willing to shell out lots of money for an iphone, then they started to push the console prices higher.

• 1Like

Pharazon2

Molten Core Raider
Companies aren't pushing console prices higher to squeeze customers, they're doing it to break even. When you look at the power you get a PS5 or Series X vs. a PC at a same price point, either is an absolute bargain. They are taking like no profits on the hardware to try to keep you in their ecosystem, although I guess Nintendo operates differently and does make money on the HW.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I worked as a manager at Babbage's during the 90s. I remember the 3DO retailing for $699. This was what? 1993? Freaking insane.
We got a used one from Game Stop. Probably around '94-95. Need for speed wasn't very good. It felt so slow. Road Rash was awesome. I used to play Gex for all hours. My favorite game to play with friends was Return Fire. That was badass.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
We got a used one from Game Stop. Probably around '94-95. Need for speed wasn't very good. It felt so slow. Road Rash was awesome. I used to play Gex for all hours. My favorite game to play with friends was Return Fire. That was badass.
Shit I forgot about that game being on 3DO. My cousin and I played that a lot. I still have my ps1 copy too.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I was only kid in my area with Sega CD as well, and let me tell you the nostalgia from playing Night Trap at 12 years old is legendary. That, Sewer Shark, Corpse Killer and Snatcher shaped my childhood.

My playstation 1 was stolen, I remember being devastated. I had to wait 2 long years until I got my first pc until I could game again. I came back with a vengeance with Rainbow Six ( one of first real fps online shooters. It didnt even have gun models ffs, you only had a picture of your gun and a reticle lol) and Asherons Call in 1999.

Also, this movie was bad. Only redeeming quality is the blatant and random assault commited throughout.

• 1Like

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Being a Babbage's manager gave me the privilege to take games home. Consoles too, although we weren't supposed to check out hardware. But I became a master of re-wrapping stuff so no one could tell it had been opened.

Fun fact: early days of Babbage's they allowed customers to return anything as long as they had their receipt. No time limit. We literally had customers returning merchandise 2 years old for a full original MSRP refund. Right before Babbage's file for bankruptcy (and would then become Gamestop), we had a manager's meeting at their HQ in Texas. They took us on a tour of the warehouse and we noticed pallets of returned 3DOs just sitting around. We knew shit was gonna hit the fan.