A (Newbs) Guide to Home Recording

Flight

Molten Core Raider
I'm going to start off with a side note so folks don't have to read my drivel to get to this important fact : If you have a PC you can get into this now, for free, by downloadingReaper, checking out some Reaper tutorial vids on Youtube (there are lots of good ones) and start laying down drum, bass and instrument tracks down immediately from that package. There has never been a better time to get into this. What cost tens of thousands of $$$$ to do fifteen years ago is now available from free.

I started playing guitar in the '80s. For the last ten years or so I've had a strat, but never picked it up. Last time I did any recording it was in the stone age, before PCs, when it was all hardware and getting any kind of decent sound meant spending many thousands $$$. It suddenly occurred to me last week that I wanted to do some recording on my own.

I am as green to doing this as a new born babe. What I'm about to lay down is just what I've read the last couple of days. I have zero, zip, zilch, nil experience. I'm sure folks can offer better advice and correct me on things. But maybe I can pique your interest, let you know what's needed and lay down some of the options.

For me I just want to set a drum pattern down, play a little bass, rhythm and lead and put some dogged awful singing on top of it. For you it might be rapping or hip hop. It might be you fancy putting a pod cast together.

Now I found a few guides but I also found that the software (especially) and the hardware is evolving so quickly that most of them are out of date in one part or another.

The first decision is are you going to use hardware or software. Do you want a physical mixing desk, a hybrid or are you taking the software approach. We know PCs, we like music, so the first decision for me was easy - software. Software also allows much easier, more flexible and more powerful editing. It can also be lots cheaper. The hardware approach is all but dead when there is a choice - it is still useful if you have to, for example, record something while you are out and about, but then the best idea is to take it back and transfer what you have recorded onto the software for editing.

rrr_img_7954.jpg

The things we need which we hadn't considered before are :

1)A physical audio interface.Something to plug in your microphone/guitar/MIDI into that interfaces with your PC. Though if you just want to put some drum and bass down you can do without this.

Using an audio interface also means you need a couple of things to plug directly into it - largely due to the problem of sound delay caused by CPU processing sound - as well as a microphone and any instruments :

i) Headphones;

ii) Monitor (speaker(s)).

2) A Digital Audio Workstation.The software. Everyone needs this. This is like 'the motherboard' of your operation. Part of its GUI can look like a Mixer desk but it is oh so much more than this. It's kind of like a virtual mixer board that you can plug in literally hundreds of apps and thousands of tools into. Most, though, come with a range of their own sampled instruments and tools so you can start composing as soon as this is installed. They all have trial or free condensed version. Above that most have price points for different levels of the software package.

Flight

Molten Core Raider
1. AUDIO INTERFACE

As I said if you just want to put some drum and bass down (or if you just want to use generated instrument sounds rather than recording any of your instruments or singing/rapping) you don't need the audio interface. Go straight to (2) DAWs.

The PCAudio InterfacesI looked at were USB, Firewire and PCI-E card. PCI-E card I dismissed pretty quickly based on a number of factors including price, flexibility, market support and useability.

That leaves Firewire or USB. Firewire is faster but any option I looked at in Firewire came with poor reviews or were significantly more expensive. USB is more than fast enough for small scale recording and seems to have had far more development $$$ thrown at it for small scale recording.

So I narrowed it down to USB. I only wanted a max of two inputs at any one time. After MUCH reading and research I further narrowed it down to the following (e.g. you need 'Phantom Power' facility if you are going to plug in Condenser microphones - Condenser variety being used for vocals/some acoustic instruments and much less suitable for instrument amplifiers) :

NI Komplete Audio 6(actually has 6 inputs, 2 x mike/quarter inch (front), midi, spdif, 2 x quarter inch (no level)

Presonus 22 VSL(Beware of thePresonus Audiobox USBand its bundles. It's cheap and looks the same as the 22vsl/44vsl but it is NOT USB 2.0 - 44vsk version has extra inputs and is also USB 2.0)

Roland UA-55 Quad-Capture

Line 6 Pod Studio UX2- Comes with Pod Farm - guitar/amp modelling siftware

Focusrite Scarlet 2i2

They all come with varying DAWs (lite/starter/artist editions). Note that Presonus are the only manufacturer that market their own Audio Interface and a DAW - Studio One. This is a solid choice pairing. But the use of VSTs (plug in apps) is limited to the most expensive DAW upgrade with Studio One).

Side note : If you are going to record live drums you will want more than two inputs/microphones.

2. DIGITAL AUDIO WORKSHOP

Two things to say here. Firstly there are as many opinions on the options here as there are people with arseholes on this forum. Secondly, things have changed massively over the last couple of years. It used to be that there were only two or three options. But there have been a great number of options released and developed fairly recently that are as good as the old hands - in many peoples opinions better - and also much more user friendly. (As an example of how fast - Reaper, which was voted #1 app only a year ago recently came in at #7 in the same poll of the same people).

Some of the most popular and common from a small number of years ago have developed over many iterations - Cubase started on the Atari in the 80s! Like a legacy network they have had layers of functionality and applications added onto their base GUI. In a number of cases they are not the prettiest or user friendly. Two new players particularly have risen to amongst the top software (voted 1 and 3 from 15) in just the past couple of years. I'm talking about Studio One from Presonus and FL Studio (10) from Image Line (based on a very simple older drum s/w called Fruity).

As I spent more hours researching DAWs the same half dozen or so names got recommended over and over again on different forums, for both newbs and experienced folk.

1.Reaper- User friendly, good for instruments, practically free (download full version for trial and after a month you'll get popups suggesting you pay for ridiculously low price of $60 for a license.

2.Ableton Live- Good for loops and electronic music. Great for 'live'/DJ/jamming. Other things not so much. Mid priced.

3.Cubase- Been around since the Atari. Somewhat bloated. Possibly still the most used.

4.Cakewalk Sonar

5.Presonus Studio One(New kid on the block, but from a team with a lot of experience and history)

6.FL Studio 10(Originally fruity - Grown/Evolved massively in last 18 months. The 'toy' app is now a top contender with a friendly UI and logical layout)

7.Pro Tools(Industry leader for a long time. Complex. Expensive.)

8.Garageband(OS X, cheap)

Note : If you or someone close to you is in education - learning or teaching - you can get significant discounts on some of these products.

I only include the names of these to give you a general idea of what to research. Opinions vary massively. None of the software is truly 'easy' to use, but some are far more complex than other. Some things to consider :

i) Pattern vrs linear DAWs

ii) Take it with a grain of salt and it would start arguments on recording forums but the following is interesting and generally informative :

http://www.musicradar.com/tuition/te...today-238905/1

Flight

Molten Core Raider
If you have a PC you can literally download software for free and start creating tracks of drums and instruments. If you want to record yourself singing/using instruments it starts from next to nothing, but a reasonable starting set up is going to cost around $400, depending on your choice of DAW.

My choices :

Audio Interface :
Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6

All I listed were solid choices. When you're deciding what to go for take note of what software is offered with each package. That was the deciding factor for me as this came withKomplete Elements.

DAW :

FL Studio 10
It's not cheap, but it's cheapest of the mid price options. It's one of the newest packages, but it's based on a long time product called Fruity. So it has a lot of experience and know how, a lot of funtionality, combined with a sensible GUI that hasn't been bloated over many years. I'd all but decided on Studio One, but that is a little limited in terms of plugins (VSTs) and I especially wanted to be able to use EZdrummer and/or Addictive Drums with it.

FL Studio 10 comes with free lifetime upgrades to future versions !

Microphone :

Shure SM57
If it was just for voice there would be a small number of other products to consider, but as I want to use this for instruments as well this is great for both.

As an aside, ebay is choc full of people selling Chinese copies of various microphones. Not worth saving a few bucks on these unless it's a reputable seller and then you don't save much going second hand. Buy new would be my advice.

Flight

Molten Core Raider
RANDOM LINKS

Home Recording Forums

Basic Home Recording Studio Site

Tweaks Guide to the Home and Project Studio

Beginning/Basic Recording Tools thread at UG

The Basics of Home Recording

Free Cubase LE

The 15 Best DAWS in the World Today

Gearslutz Favourite DAW Poll

Best Software for Beginners ? - Future producers forum

Comparison of Multitrack Recording Software (Wiki)

RANDOM SOFTWARE (DAW) VIDS

Why Reaper is my DAW of choice:

Basic editing in Studio One :

I didn't touch much on plugins. Most of the DAWs come with a significant range of drums/instruments that you can immediately start creating tracks with. But there's a whole world of extraneous packages/tools/instruments/sounds out there designed to be used along with them. Here's a few vids on the drum packages I mentioned.

Addictive Drums :

EZdrummer (over 7,000 individually sampled drums, which can be individually edited to create new ones):

Making a drum track in Pro Tools with EZdrummer

Note that many of these 'plugin' packages have many further options for expansion. One of the drum packages, for example, comes with over 1,000 different sampled drums/cymbals, with amassive amount of options based on three famous drum manufatcurers. But then you can get, for example, a download of death metal drum kits.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Nice thread. I've been wanting to get into home studio recording for quite some time but I've always been intimidated by my complete lack of knowledge and experience. I've recorded live shows a ton, but nothing with studio polish. Seventh has always pluggedReaperas great recording software for some time. You might want to add that to your list.

Flight

Molten Core Raider
Nice thread. I've been wanting to get into home studio recording for quite some time but I've always been intimidated by my complete lack of knowledge and experience. I've recorded live shows a ton, but nothing with studio polish. Seventh has always pluggedReaperas great recording software for some time. You might want to add that to your list.
Thanks Alex, I appreciate it.

Reaper was certainly something I considered. Following is purely what I've read in the last few days, so I can't vouch for it. Reaper has a very small footprint (10Mb install). It's cross platform (MAC and PC). The trial is the full package. You can decide to use it forever and never pay - you just get popups suggest you pay after the trial month. If you do pay it's only $60 for everything. On the flip it can be unstable (don't think this would affect most folks - it seems to be when the CPU is 70%+ loaded and a lot of editing is going on). Graphics are somewhat limited - to the extent that some features look like Excel spreadsheets. It looks as though you are working on an Amiga 500. Visual feedback not always the best so you don't always see what's happening or what you are doing. Lack of some advanced functionality (not a problem for most users).

For me a major point was this - NONE of these DAW packages are easy to start using off the bat. They all have an 'EvE' like learning curve. You are going to have to invest time in reading, watching vids, leaning how to do anything and everything from the basics up. All the feedback is that it takes months to evaluate and learn the product. Once you have been using another one product and turn to a different DAW it's like starting the learning process all over again - most of the time you've spent with other DAWs is wasted in this respect. Given the up front investment in time and effort it seems to me it's best spent on something you are going to feel comfortable with medium and long term.

My advice would be if you just want to fuck around, put something down and not spend a lot of time with it in the future go for Reaper. But if you think you are starting something that's going to last then reconsider.

Also consider which companies are going to invest development $$$ and how much in the future. Things are changing and advancing so fast. Reaper was voted #1 in that poll up above just a year ago, but the recent poll of the same people it came in #7 with new boys (who have a serious amount of know-how in this field from associated technology) coming in #1 and #3.

Bottom line to take from this post - no matter how long you spend learning a DAW, most of that time will not help you when you try another DAW out. Consider that when you make your choice.

Seventh

Golden Squire
My advice would be if you just want to fuck around, put something down and not spend a lot of time with it in the future go for Reaper. But if you think you are starting something that's going to last then reconsider.
I obviously still put Reaper at #1, and agree with most of your points, but completely disagree with you here. Just because Reaper is cheap and has a small footprint doesn't mean that it's underpowered. I have Logic and Reaper now, and have used PT a bunch, and really for the average non-professional any of them is going to be more than enough. It's all about what workflow you like best. Reaper is certainly powerful enough for the long haul, it's community is fantastic, it supports VST/AU, it has a ton of third-party support and free plugins, and runs brilliantly cross platform. It also doesn't need an obnoxious iLok to function. I'd say it's the perfect DAW to use if you want something that's going to last.

What exactly are you basing your opinion on? What can't it do that you're looking for, that PT/Logic can?

Edit: You don't even have Logic in your list!
wink.png

Flight

Molten Core Raider
Seventh,

As I said I'm a total newb. You have vastly more experience than me and I'm open to learning
smile.png
I will say my point was that it seems time spent (and it takes a lot of time to learn a DAW) is largely not transferable when you move to a new DAW. I only said reconsider Reaper, not reject it, if you are going to be spending a heck of a lot of time with a DAW> ie don't pick it just because it's the cheapest, because if you move on from Reaper most of the time spent with it is redundant.

I didn't include Logic because it's OS X and I'm primarily looking at PC (I think you can get Logic working on some PCs and with some workarounds but it's primarily a Mac product ?). I included Garageband as a nod to OS because it's so cheap ($10). I didn't try and create an exhaustive list, just noted the ones that kept getting recommended on forums I looked at.

As I'm sure you'll agree there are a massive range of opinions and debates on DAWs. In the case of Reaper it's largely centred on Pro Tools vrs Reaper. My advice to a newb - purely based on research - would be to ignore PT, unless you will be working in - or exchanging work with - an environment that needs PT. PT seems over marketed, over-hyped, over complex and bloated.

I would however recommend looking at FL Studio 10 and Presonus Studio One.

1. Recording/pre production Reaper sounds equal - or even superior to PT.

2. Reapers GUI is under developed. It's like working on an Amiga, with many of the in app systems looking like small Excel grids.

3. Reaper can be unstable - YMMV, this seems to be (?) depending on your PC, but many people report crashes and crashes = work lost.

4. Editing / post recording Reapers contextual tools aren't as good as other DAWs. Also Visual feedback on processes being caried out aren't as good.

This is just me. I could be wrong on all points. But I've tried to research it with an open mind. The reasons I ended up at FL Studio 10 and Studio One is that they are new, but developed by people with massive experience with sound technology. Because they are new their interfaces and GUI are outstanding and process development is logical, instead of being years old applications that are like legacy PC networks with bits added in and plugged in all over the place. Us newbs need all the help we can get (on this it's worth mentioning that FLS has a context sensitive in application manual - if you are doing a task and press F1 you will get the relevant page of the manual opened inside the GUI as well as context sensitive help).

DAWs are developing so fast. Here's a couple of recent comparisons (though of course they aren't the bottom line) :

http://midi-software-review.toptenre...io-review.html

http://www.musicradar.com/tuition/te...d-today-238905

Seventh

Golden Squire
I don't want to be Mister Negative Pants, but Reaper absolutely destroys FL Studio and PSO, and if you think it's UI is under developed, you must have missed the bazillion themes for it. Look at this, for example:

http://www.houseofwhitetie.com/reape..._imperial.html

Reaper is the best thing going right now, and it's perfect for new users. Every DAW takes getting used to, so starting out with something that does a lot of handholding and then moving to something that has actual flexibility is just going to bite you in the ass later.

2. Reapers GUI is under developed. It's like working on an Amiga, with many of the in app systems looking like small Excel grids.
Are you talking about the MIDI editor? They all look like that.

3. Reaper can be unstable - YMMV, this seems to be (?) depending on your PC, but many people report crashes and crashes = work lost.
It's not any more of less stable than the other DAWs, and it has an autosave feature to save your work every x_minutes. Crashes = Work lost in everything. I've had one Reaper crash in ~5 years of using it and it was the plugin, not the DAW that died. Talk to ProTools guys who have their iLoks die and CANT do anything until they get a new $50 hardware dongle.

Not trying to crap on your thread, but you're completely wrong about Reaper on just about every count. It wouldn't matter, but you're making a Newb's Guide, and discounting the hands down best DAW out there in terms of price, power, flexibility, supported plugins and room to grow. It's like starting a Car Newb thread and saying "Whatever you do, don't get a manual transmission".

Flight

Molten Core Raider
you're completely wrong about Reaper on just about every count.
Ok mate, I can accept I'm wrong. I wasn't trying to act as an authority, just explain my thought process. Just to be clear, though, at no point did I say to anyone don't get Reaper or discount it.

Vittra

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I've been using ProTools for the last 11-12 years, upgrading every new version and across new PC's every couple of years. If I could have that time back, I'd probably had gone with another program, but instead was locked into the Digidesign stuff cuz of the hardware we own. I've had tons of crashes over the years, and can't wait to get a new computer now.
I'll be sticking with it though, since I'm so accustomed to it and I've never really expiremented with transferring sessions to other DAW's

Fuse

Silver Knight of the Realm
I'm totally new to this, just downloaded reaper on the pc and a bunch of stuff on my ipad (Beat Maker 2, iMaschine, Korg iPolysix and iKaoscillator, Rebirth, Animoog).

No idea what the fuck I'm doing, but it sure is fun. Just discovered Soundcloud too, I had no idea. A band I really like is in the studio, and uploaded a demo to soundcloud that anyone can download and play around with. Mind = Blown.

This looks like it might be a good resource for free .vst for people looking to muck around like I am.

http://www.musicradar.com/tuition/te...ay-277953/2#!1

Also, if you like samples, here are 42,000 free not pirated ones:

http://www.musicradar.com/news/tech/...ds-217833/2#!1

Duppin_sl

shitlord
I'm getting ready to start doing this soon, so I can record myself playing to show to friends and such.

Is Reaper still the go-to software, and will a Shure SM57 be a good all-purpose mic for recording vocals/acoustic/electric guitar well enough to just record myself dicking around?

My emphasis is going to be on easy to use, early on.

Seventh

Golden Squire
I'm getting ready to start doing this soon, so I can record myself playing to show to friends and such.

Is Reaper still the go-to software, and will a Shure SM57 be a good all-purpose mic for recording vocals/acoustic/electric guitar well enough to just record myself dicking around?

My emphasis is going to be on easy to use, early on.
Yes X2. Though for acoustic/vocals, grab an MXL990 set. Two condensers for $70, absolutely ace for acoustics and damn good for vocals too.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...ophone-package