Aarklash Legacy

Azziane_sl

shitlord
Just found the 2 guys in the undead place. At the risk of sounding like a broken record I don't understand the thinking behind having half my guys at level 9 and there rest at level 1 without even all their skills. Especially when I don't get to pick my party anymore.

Unless maybe I am really only at the beginning of the game but from what I hear the game is somewhat short. Still feels like a tutorial. A little. Not a lot. But it bugs me not to have an even party!

Game still fun, moving on.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Just found the 2 guys in the undead place. At the risk of sounding like a broken record I don't understand the thinking behind having half my guys at level 9 and there rest at level 1 without even all their skills. Especially when I don't get to pick my party anymore.

Unless maybe I am really only at the beginning of the game but from what I hear the game is somewhat short. Still feels like a tutorial. A little. Not a lot. But it bugs me not to have an even party!

Game still fun, moving on.
Enemies are easier etc to adjust being forced to use noobs, you are still near the beginning so eventually everyone will be max level, when you get party control back just use who you want.

Pancreas

Vyemm Raider
Just picked the game up yesterday. Only played it a little bit. I decided to head right out of the gate on Ragnarok difficulty. It seems very well balanced for that level. All of the fights have required a lot of attention and can be really close if I don't figure out target priority and burn skills as soon as I can, to get through cooldowns. I see a lot of influence from WoW style raid mechanics, especially in the boss fights.

I like the game so far, but they weren't kidding when they said that you have to pause and just assess the situation, read all the enemy skill tool tips and figure out a plan before you let 1 second of the battle progress. I really hope they release more content for this game if it is only 10 - 12 hours long.

The skill trees seem interesting. Lots of tweaks and synergies, not only within a single character, but between characters; That's just good design.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I'm absolutely loving this game, but what gets me the most is that they clearly saved costs by having an intro that is nothing more than a grey screen and some words, and cut scenes that are nothing but the actual game just kind of recorded, for lack of a better term. Now, I love a great intro of course, but other than a few memorable ones, most games I don't give a shit and this accomplished what it needed to. It was actually kind of shocking to just be thrown into the game with very little in the way of a tutorial, and I could see a lot of the teens of today thinking it was a shitty game because it didn't hold their hand for 30 minutes at the beginning. I'm glad it is stripped down to the basics, because hopefully they squeezed as much game into it for the money as they could, and left out unnecessary crap.

That being said, I'd pay double this price for a truly epic Planescape-type story with this system. I'm only to the part where the cannon guy shows up (died to the second wave and had to go to bed so I didn't retry it), so maybe the story gets a little more in-depth, but right now it is just sort of there to make me keep clicking in a particular direction and get into more fights. I'd love to have more decisions than just which guys I'm going to have in my party.

The other thing I love about this game is the totally fresh outlook on skills. A tank that has to spend health to use abilities, a healer that has to steal health from someone else to cast more spells, a dps machine that doesn't gain any more hps (I figured out that ae bleed isn't always as awesome as it sounds on paper), etc. While I clearly like some skills more than others, every one of them has made me go "wow, that's neat" when reading what options I have further down the line. I grew up on D&D and would still play the shit out of a Pool of Radiance gold box type modern game with classes I've known for 30+ years, but having a game turn a bunch of those ideas on their head is incredibly refreshing.

I greatly look forward to expansions, DLC, sequels, copy-cats, whatever of this game. We need more like it.

Azziane_sl

shitlord
(died to the second wave and had to go to bed so I didn't retry it)
Quick FYI if yo udid not know - you can save between each wave if you have auto-pause turned on. I totally did not die to the second wave 3 times before I realized I did not have to re-do the first wave as well. Nope, not me.

Also - just started playing with the new Tank/ogre guy & my life just became a lot easier. I think the ogre has more typical tank skills but they are also just much better. I especially like the 150% reflect damage on taunt right now. Knokka's self heals don't really compare the the ogre's health and regen. And the ogre does not spend health to use skills. He might have a lesser DPS but his survivability seems way, way higher.

I'm glad it is stripped down to the basics, because hopefully they squeezed as much game into it for the money as they could, and left out unnecessary crap.
My initial thoughts - after the first 4-5 levels - was that they really could have lengthened the levels and re-used the same enemies more extensively. I am not of fan of reusing content but anytime I felt like I was begining to get familiar with one enemy type, completely new shit was thrown at me instead of giving me an extra level with packs of the same mobs - maybe with just more enemies or basic difficulty progression (more health or atk dmg on enemies or whatnot). I realize I am complaining the wrong way around and I'd be the first to whine if they had just piled on reused content for the sake of more gameplay hours per $.

But this is truly a game with a huge variety of enemies. I'd enjoy the game even more if I had some more time to feel completely superior to enemies before they disappear. Or even an endless or arena mode after each "arc" would do the trick.

Game's good yub - can't help but wish for more though.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Quick FYI if yo udid not know - you can save between each wave if you have auto-pause turned on. I totally did not die to the second wave 3 times before I realized I did not have to re-do the first wave as well. Nope, not me.
I did not know that, thanks for the tip! Probably won't get to play it until tomorrow or later in the weekend, but I'm anxious to get new characters and skills more than almost any other game I've played in awhile. I obviously am not finished, but I can't help but wish I could have started a party from scratch with any characters I wanted, but on the other hand I have no compunction whatsoever about swapping characters out right now, so I guess there is some appeal to that as well.

turbo

Molten Core Raider
Great catch on this. Still early on but it feels more like what Dragon Age 2 should have been. I'd love to see a full fledged 50 dollar game on this premisie and style of play. Abit more gear and things of that nature but all and all seems pretty good. I jumped straight into hard since I like abit of ass kicking to make me feel worthwhile and it provides a good sense of challenge without being completely unforgiving.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Thanks Hatorade for mentioning this was a thread. Anyone who missed this the first time around this is 60% off on Steam.

Goddamn I wish there was a confirmation before hitting F9 would reload a saved game. I use F5 and F9 so damn often, I've accidentally hit F9 a few times when I meant to save, and had to re-do some fights again. Blech.
First thing I did in this game was hit F9 instead of F5 when I saw that helper tooltip for the first time. It was like 2am and I'd just installed it before going to bed, oops.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
This game is pretty good, but I really hated the itemization (I have like an hour or two in the game on the hardest difficulty). It was too much equipping stat sticks. Might get better down the road I guess.