Activision files patent for driving microtransactions

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Not Activision (Capcom), but seems like an appropriate place to complain.

It is awesome telling my kids they cant play new superhero characters in Marvel vs Capcom because they want 8$ per character and 4$ per costume. They even show up on character select screen whether you own them or not, just to tease them. I look like an asshole to them because I refuse to be ripped the fuck off with 60$ worth of dlc for a game I bought them for 60$ less than a month ago. It is getting way out of hand.
Set up monthly allowance they can spend as they want, they will notice the shitty practices really quickly and it will teach them the value of money.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Set up monthly allowance they can spend as they want, they will notice the shitty practices really quickly and it will teach them the value of money.

Don't forget to make them work for it. For every hour long piece of work they do throw 2 bucks in it. Then they can say, "Oh hey that stupid costume wasn't worth cleaning my room, washing the dishes, and dusting the living room for... what so ever. "

Get them hating MT's early on. Never forget.

• 1Like

goishen

Macho Ma'am
Fuck, I'll never buy anything from Activision again. Wonder what whales fighting will look like?

*miss* *miss* *miss* "You can't hit me, I'm in $759 armor!" *head shot* *report for cheating* *ban whoever paid them less*

Great times.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Sulrn

Deuces
Hyperbole is a pretty dumb way to sell the argument against P2W. I don't believe the suits running the industry are that dumb to cut off their main revenue source for the great white whales.

The whole system revolves around being as insidious as possible and making millions $0.50 to $15 at a time, preferably in the background, so "gamers" don't get uppity and the weak minded come to their defense with shouts "YOU CAN EARN IT IN GAME FOR FREE" or "YOU DON'T HAVE TO BUY IT JUST BECAUSE IT'S THERE" and "I'M NOT TOUCHING THE STORE SO IT DOESN'T EFFECT ME OR MY GAMEPLAY." While failing to recognize how the game was redesigned around them in the first place. All of which we've seen on this forum, one of the homes of "real gamers", within the last month.

Just like our [American] government, we're getting exactly what we deserve for being an uninformed, selfish, and lazy populace. Our hobby is going to get worse as eventually the holdout studios standing on principle of "good games sell themselves" will lose market share and get bullied out / shut down. That's what EA's core strategy is and they aren't alone in it. Meanwhile people are still paying premium prices for the deevolution of games we had over a decade ago because they look / sound like Star Wars in a modern engine!

Congrats team, we're the real threat to the industry. Which is pretty sad, considering the role FoH played earlier in its history.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Activision is "claiming" this was an independent team that filed this as an exploratory patent and it hasn't been implemented in any of their games.

Now I'll leave it to you on if you trust Activision PR or not.

And....

Call of Duty: WW2 multiplayer servers already up – watch the elaborate supply drop opening routine

You cannot make up all the lies these idiots tell. As far as I am concerned these people need to start being held accountable by us, and the gaming press, and everyone else.

Mario Speedwagon

Gold Recognition
<Prior Amod>
Games are being ruined because gamers are fucking stupid and have no principles. You can see it happen on this very board. The same people that bitch to high heaven about the practices of the industry are the same ones buy the worst fucking offenders because they can't handle not owning every major release. Some of them will rationalize it by saying they aren't buying microtransactions so it's ok, but eventually most of them will buy those fucking microtransactions.

• 1Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
For me, I do my part by using Gamefly. For the games that are worth the purchase without this type of garbage, I'll buy. For those like this where I still want to play a piece of the game (Namely, Single Player) I'll rent so the publisher doesn't see a damn dime and I can still go through the Single Player WW2 Campaign. And I am finding now plenty of options to rent games - RedBox, Gamefly, etc. Not once will I ever subscribe to a publisher led service either.

So this way, we can still play their game, and still stick it to them. Or, pirate the damn thing. I haven't pirated anything in a LONG time. I doubt I even know how to anymore. But any game that includes this type of system, just don't ever pay for it so the publisher sees a cent. Or don't play it.