Adventures with Corndog: Corndog's Fish Store

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
I don't know anything about fish, but I know I'm fucking lazy and I buy tons of shit with my prime account for higher prices than the wal-mart that I have to pass on the way home.

Cybsled

If you've ever bought a digital download on Amazon, there is a list of items you can't return, which does mention live animals.

Of course, customer service considerations would no doubt come into play.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
I don't know anything about fish, but I know I'm fucking lazy and I buy tons of shit with my prime account for higher prices than the wal-mart that I have to pass on the way home.
Not really lazy is it? You save money and headache by not dealing with the dregs of society at Wally World.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Hey Corndog, I was just hoping to hear the latest on how the shops going and see the latest photos!

You'll definitely be raking in some cash on Amazon. I needed some targets and I was right by it, so I went by Walmart today. Fucking hated it. Had to battle all the morons in the parking lot that can't walk more than 1mph or else their die of heart failure, then I go inside, find what I need after dodging homeless fat shitheads, then go to check out and every line is at least 4 retards deep with big baskets full of high calorie no-nutrition foods. I finally find one short line, and I go and it's literally a retard checking people out, and he's moving so slow. I give it 1 minute, then I just dropped all my crap I was going to buy and just walked out. I just ordered all the same shit off Amazon and it will be here Wednesday. Free shipping, no tax.

On a side note, I stopped by the liquor store too, and I walked in, got my bottle of Crown, and paid, and was out in less than 2 minutes. I fucking love competent stores. I actually left there happy with how easy it was to just go in and buy my shit without all the drains of society ruining my day (boy I sound fucking pissed). So I think your store will do great either way, as a competent store owner that isn't overrun with tards, or as an online seller. Either way and you can't lose!

Corndog

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'll shoot some pictures tomorrow. Today I vacuumed a bunch, painted some backs/sides of tanks. Primer conduit and put some paint on them. Also got a 180 gallon tank into the store as well.

Corndog

Lord Nagafen Raider
Photo Bomb time.

First rack for tanks is up.
DSC_0057_zps7b7b76e2.jpg

Sales counter area. All wood is maple from a sustainable local lumber source. Live edges on the counter. Sign is hand carved by my builder.
DSC_0048_zps8fefe007.jpg

Electrical I had done. All circuits are on a GFI and on switches. I've never seen another fish store with this capability. Fish stores are notorious for popping breakers, using extension cords and surge protectors to flip lights on/off.
DSC_0199_zps161a8605.jpg

Some plumbing shots. Indirect waste line. Only option I had in this space and it being commercial.
DSC_0195_zps4c3983cd.jpg

Airline pvc in the back. Water drip manifolds in front for automatic water change.
DSC_0194_zps3115fe40.jpg

Stand with flat black wall, and black backed tanks with all tubing etc being black. Should show the fish off nicely once lighting is installed.
DSC_0179_zpsdc507bd9.jpg

DSC_0057_zps7b7b76e2.jpg

DSC_0048_zps8fefe007.jpg

DSC_0199_zps161a8605.jpg

DSC_0195_zps4c3983cd.jpg

DSC_0194_zps3115fe40.jpg

DSC_0179_zpsdc507bd9.jpg

Corndog

Lord Nagafen Raider
Painting tanks black. Some tanks have custom backgrounds that are done by my builder. This tank looks weird, but you have to build the colors front to back. The tank looks great from the front. Also today I noticed my horrible stained carpet now has spray paint overspray on it. It's been raining for weeks here, had to do it inside. I'm wondering if professional carpet cleaning can get it out. I had planned on putting area rugs in this room to hide the dead body stains that were in here before I got here.
DSC_0191_zps739ba6c1.jpg

Stack of tanks that I have to clean/paint still. Got them for $10 each. Saved a ton of money, not a ton of time lol.
DSC_0192_zps842f8fbc.jpg

Track lighting to light up the Enjoy Nature Daily Sign. Lots more track lighting to go in once the dry good displays are in. There will be no general overhead lighting. Only tank lights and track lighting to light up merchandise.
DSC_0200_zps5c136d97.jpg

180 gallon Acrylic I picked up for free, stand was free. Had to sand the scratchs out of the acrylic and paint the stand. Just need to fill it and drain it to get the dust out of it. You can also see my bathroom sign mounted at exactly 60 inches per ADA, and the fire extinguisher at no more than 5 feet!
DSC_0198_zps10a2d40b.jpg

DSC_0191_zps739ba6c1.jpg

DSC_0192_zps842f8fbc.jpg

DSC_0200_zps5c136d97.jpg

DSC_0198_zps10a2d40b.jpg

Corndog

Lord Nagafen Raider
Now that I got pics up. I have a question. How do I pay myself a wage through the business? I'm guessing it's not just as easy as transfering money from Business account to personal account. I assume I need to pay the social security, L&I etc right then? I'm sure some ofyou guys pay yourself a salary through the business. Can it be done by yourself? Or have like a tax guy do it etc?

Unidin

Molten Core Raider
Now that I got pics up. I have a question. How do I pay myself a wage through the business? I'm guessing it's not just as easy as transfering money from Business account to personal account. I assume I need to pay the social security, L&I etc right then? I'm sure some ofyou guys pay yourself a salary through the business. Can it be done by yourself? Or have like a tax guy do it etc?
It may be worth it to hire a payroll service like ADP. It's expensive for what they do, but they will calculate taxes for you and if it gets screwed up, they pay IRS penalties. They can also handle your quarterly tax payments too for the business.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
You need a CPA if you don't have one but you can do this yourself. Your CPA can tell you how. As far as the taxes go though, there is a formula for social security and such based on your income and W-4. You will write a check (or a transfer) to yourself and one to social security for each pay period.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I thought there were banks that handled payroll pretty easily especially for small business

opiate82

Bronze Squire
I do all of my own payroll. Yes, you need to deduct L&I, Fed Income, SS, SUTA and FUTA. You are in WA right? Everything can be done online and I can give you links.

I think for a business of your size, a payroll service would be a waste of money.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Corndog - Are you planning to get employees right away or are you going to be a one man show to start out? Sometimes I would like to have an employee but it seems like more trouble than it's worth a lot of the time.

Corndog

Lord Nagafen Raider
I plan to start out solo. Then add an employee as sales justify it. I figure if I'm struggling to be known at the beginning, what good is having 2 people sit there instead of one.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
We have a CPA that setup QuickBooks for us. After that, QB does all of the figuring. There's no need to pay someone when QB will do it for you in five minutes a week (and that's with people working for you). Plus, you can do the rest of your books from QB.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
I'm guessing you mean Quickbooks calculates deductions automatically for you? Or can you set it up to make the actual deposits as well?

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm guessing you mean Quickbooks calculates deductions automatically for you? Or can you set it up to make the actual deposits as well?
QB automatically computes deductions and the final check. You can actually print the checks from QB. I usually deliver checks by hand, it gives me an excuse to be on the job. And then it puts that payroll number on your P&L. Any changes in the tax code are automatically updated in QB also.