Adventures with Corndog: Corndog's Fish Store

Corndog

Lord Nagafen Raider
So drama tonight at the shop. Neighbor comes over and says their window cracked down the middle of it and claims my construction caused it. Which is basically 0% chance as we were working on the other side of the unit.

They claim the landlord wants nothing to do with and said to come talk to me. What I need to know is can this be pinned on me? Because Myself and the crew working here are in shock. Cause obviously we didn't cause that damage.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Even if some shit bag professional comes in there and says it is your fault and he takes you to court, what do you buy him if you lose? A new window i'd guess.

Don't pay it and just repeat "be reasonable" to the moron any time he says something.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
So drama tonight at the shop. Neighbor comes over and says their window cracked down the middle of it and claims my construction caused it. Which is basically 0% chance as we were working on the other side of the unit.

They claim the landlord wants nothing to do with and said to come talk to me. What I need to know is can this be pinned on me? Because Myself and the crew working here are in shock. Cause obviously we didn't cause that damage.
"Hey, _____, this is Corndog. I'm very sorry that your window was cracked. I've talked to the construction workers at my shop and they say they know nothing about it. When I was in the shop, I was with them and they were working on the other side of the unit, so I'm sure that they didn't crack you're window while I was there either. Again, I'm very sorry your window was cracked. I know I'm the new kid on the block, so it's tough being in a situation where I'm being accused of doing something I didn't do, however I'm very willing to help you in any way I can outside of replacing the window. Let me know if I can help!

Thanks,
Corndog"

Something like that, but with words. Don't cop out and send them an email/phone call/angry brick through the rest of their window. They're accusing you of doing something you didn't do, so just be polite and tell them like it is...to their face!

Corndog

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm going to talk to the maintenance man tomorrow. But so far I've been saying I don't see how it's my fault. This looks like a landlord problem not ours.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
I'm going to talk to the maintenance man tomorrow. But so far I've been saying I don't see how it's my fault. This looks like a landlord problem not ours.
Don't make the mistake of looking at it in terms of, "I don't see how it's my fault." Instead, look at it in the reality that, "It is in no way related to me. I'm sorry your window is cracked." Don't even humor the notion.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole

Welcome to being a business owner. Get used to family, friends, vendors etc. that try to get something for nothing. People will look at you as a human piggy bank, be ready to tell them to go screw themselves.

Corndog

Lord Nagafen Raider
Smoothed things over. Neighbor realizes it's not my fault. She submitted claim to her insurance. They kicked it over to the landlord and now the landlord is dodging it it seems. Atleast it's out of my hair now and I didn't make an enemy somehow.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Landlords are all degrees of evil. Not much getting away from that. Something like a broken window like that can be a grey area on who is responsible for it depending on how it broke. If I were the landlord I wouldn't just be rolling over and accepting that it was my responsibility to fix it.

Corndog

Lord Nagafen Raider
Today was frustrating. The electrician I hired originally quoted 4 days to get the work I wanted done. That was last Saturday. He was also supposed to start last Friday not Saturday. Then after starting a day late, he took Sunday off for football. Early in the Week he thought he'd be done by Thursday. Thursday came and went and said he'd be done before noon today. Today came and went and says he needs 3 more hours to finish it up. But has another job starting tomorrow... And apparently he is going to start that job tomorrow and come back and finish my work on Monday... Very aggravating, since the work hes doing is great work and at a great price.

I'm just flabbergasted that once he was running behind he never once put in extra time after 5pm... I know myself would have stayed all night tonight until it was done as I'd of been a day late from my quote again.

Gadrel_sl

shitlord
"Hey, _____, this is Corndog. I'm very sorry that your window was cracked. I've talked to the construction workers at my shop and they say they know nothing about it. When I was in the shop, I was with them and they were working on the other side of the unit, so I'm sure that they didn't crack you're window while I was there either. Again, I'm very sorry your window was cracked. I know I'm the new kid on the block, so it's tough being in a situation where I'm being accused of doing something I didn't do, however I'm very willing to help you in any way I can outside of replacing the window. Let me know if I can help!

Thanks,
Corndog"

Something like that, but with words. Don't cop out and send them an email/phone call/angry brick through the rest of their window. They're accusing you of doing something you didn't do, so just be polite and tell them like it is...to their face!
Never take legal advice on the internet, especially from someone who doesn't know the difference between "your" and "you're."

opiate82

Bronze Squire
I don't know what it is about electricians and/or contractors, but every single one of them is like that. They don't have "deadlines" they have "rough time-tables adjusted for personal convenience." I myself try to only pay for materials and withhold all other payments until the job is done. Even then they will come to me when the project is behind schedule and not finished asking for money.

bofa_sl

shitlord
that's not really legal advice there. more along the lines of "how to handle situations where people are trying to fuck you and take your money". fuck those people. empathy goes a long way with handling people and high stress situations. however much you might disagree with them, just mentally put yourself in their shoes for just 10 seconds. for all you know, she could have lost a big account that day, dealt with some bullshit customer, found out her husband is cheating on her, whatever. she rolls up to work, sees the new guy ripping apart the building next to hers, she walks in and notices her window is cracked, who's the first one she's going to blame? i can tell you from using bobcat jackhammer attachments on concrete sidewalks 15ft away from windows, it is possible for them to crack.

tmac knows how to play the game and avoid all the bullshit that can come out of a broken widow disagreement. you handle it wrong, tell her lol and fuck off. next thing you know, you pissed your landlord off right at the rip, potential bullshit lawsuit and made enemies with a neighbor who will most likely slander your name any chance a customer asks. they should teach situations exactly like this in "business" schools. there's always, someone out there who is and will do anything possible to fuck you. keep your guard up at all times and be able to recognize / read into each situation you encounter.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Never take legal advice on the internet, especially from someone who doesn't know the difference between "your" and "you're."
Protip: you don't need legal advice to respond to your neighbor. I'm happy to see you're proof reading my posts though. Let me know if you find any more errors.

Corndog

Lord Nagafen Raider
As far as payment for the electrician goes. I've put $500 towards parts. Holding all other payment till the job is done.

The neighbor seems to be cool with me now. After having the night to think on it she realizes it likely wasn't me at all. And has focused all the attention to the landlord as her insurance company say it's the landlords problem and the landlord is playing hard to get ahold of now.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I know it's probably been covered, but when do you think you're going to be able to open? Are you going to do a soft opening and then a grand opening or anything along those lines?