Adventures with Corndog: New .com launch.

Corndog

Lord Nagafen Raider
So currently I own 3 .coms. One is for my store's website. One is the Local Fish Forum. The last one is a forum dedicated to a subsection of fish.

The new one I'm launching will be an ecommerce site. The goal is to be able to sell goods online with impunity to the retail store. This allows me to run different prices if I want. Also separate the inventory. This will require another location as the goods I plan to sell won't be integrated inventory.

This will basically be a diary of how hard it is to gain traction with a new .com. Luckily I'm not selling electronics or something with a ton of competition. I plan to only sell live aquarium plants. Perhaps a few accessories that will fit with shipping. The temptation is big to offer it all online. But as I found in the past it becomes a shipping nightmare. Shipping systems quoting systems can't handle separate categories well. Say if you wanted a plant, a fish, a bottle of fertilizer and an aquarium heater. Realistically this takes 3 separate boxes/shipments. The goal will be focusing on plants, and things that won't crush plants during shipping. Like root tabs, plant weights etc. A bottle of fertilizer would crush the plants on the way there.

When I had my store selling all items online. We got a decent amount of orders without trying. I feel like my prices were clearly higher than the competition out there, but the competition was out of stock a lot.

I intend to use the buying power of my retail store to put me on par with my bigger competition and put me above the lower competition. Currently I think everyone can get about the same price. The only leg up is quantity. The more quantity you can move at once, the shipping makes more sense. Via airport it basically costs $60 to ship 1 plant. If you ship 1000 plants it costs $70.

I plan to only offer the plants that I can keep in stock at nearly a 100% up time. All the competitor sites are littered with out of stock items. I also plan to target customer groups that are very large but not targeted specially at all. Currently all aquatic plant vendors target people interested in planted aquariums. In general I find that there are sub groups. One being someone with say a betta bowl. They don't have very good lighting, likely will be cheap etc. That being said they want to provide for their pet. Also Goldfish owners want to keep some hardier live plants and also purchase plants for the goldfish to eat. This is a secondary market. You've also got african cichlid people. Which tends to be a huge market in the midwest. However most people don't realize there are plants that go great in that environment.

I don't intend on giving this website a social presence in the normal sense. No facebook, no youtube videos etc. The goal is to be a well oiled machine. Keep plants in stock and sell plants. Have cut and dry policies on shipping and dead on arrivals etc. In fact I plan to ship out only on Tuesdays no exceptions. This will allow me to only have to schedule either 1 pickup or 1 delivery to the post office a week. Also it should be easier to plan around the store's schedule. Also Plants tend to ship in on Monday from the main supplier ordered the week previously

The platform I'm going to choose to use is shopify. This is familiar because it is what I used to run the old ecommerce website. And while it's not the cheapest especially for some of the advanced options, it is easy to modify products and manage overall.

There will be many things to tweak, and decisions to be made yet. I am interested to see how the general public reacts. The average internet user is not internet savy in the slightest. So much so that I'll be using left hand navigation menu on my site. So many calls from the old site on how to navigate it with top navigation. People forget that the elderly/non internet savvy people still exist and buy things online. In many cases they are the best customers because they have a hard time comparison shopping.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Interesting. I question the 'ship only on Tuesdays' thing, though. As Amazon Prime now delivers in hours to me, I am quite impatient with shipping. Good luck with this venture as well. Good idea to remain market and buyer focused instead of 'pile of inventory'.

Corndog

Lord Nagafen Raider
So the problem stems from live goods. The opposite is kind of true for live goods. Instead of oh my god I want it right now! It becomes, I need you to ship it a week from this Thursday, to not my paypal address, but my work address. Then on top of that, if it say arrives on Saturday, instead of Friday due to any delay, it now sits there till Monday. All the while plants dieing in the box.

So typically live goods should be shipped Monday or Tuesday. What I found in the past was, There are a lot of Mondays that are holidays for the post office. Enough to through monkey wrenches into the week.

As for Amazon. The things people usually buy on there, they could walk into a bestbuy, target, walmart etc and buy today, but want to save money so they buy it on amazon, or if they are like me. I order it on amazon before I forget to buy it in person. Of course we want it asap. With my business no one is offering faster shipping unless you pay for it. So for instance typically my shipping will be $15 flat rate. Priority, which is 2-3 days.

Here are the shipping requirements for I'd say the largest online aquarium plant retailer:
Live Plants:
The "CUTOFF/DEADLINE IS SUNDAY nights AT 9:00pm EST:
-orders placed by Sunday 9:00pm EST will ship on Wednesday or Thursday of the "same" week (if order is placed after 9:00pm on Sunday, it will ship the "following" week.
-If you choose 2nd day delivery, it will ship Wednesday for delivery on Friday.
-If you choose 1st day delivery, it will ship Wednesday or Thursday for delivery on Thursday or Friday

You will receive UPS tracking info after 8pm EST the evening it ships.
If you would like a different delivery date, phone us and we will do our best to accommodate.

If you reside in a region with daytime temperatures above 80 degrees, we strongly urge you to choose "1st day shipping" to avoid damage to the plants!

Equipment/Hardgoods:
These items are shipped on Monday thru Friday.
Plant Order Under $50:
UPS Next Day Air: Regular Rates Apply
UPS 2nd Day Air: Regular Rates Apply
Plant Order Over $50:

UPS Next Day Air: Special Rate= $34.99
UPS 2nd Day Air: Special rate= $19.99
Plant Order Over $100:

UPS Next Day Air: Special rate= $29.99
UPS 2nd Day Air: Special rate= $19.99

I believe the business model my competitors are using are basically. Your order has to be in by Sunday. They place an order for the plants on Monday. Receive them wed/thursday. Reship them out wed/thurs. In the past, when I've used them for wholesale, which they also do, but they are expensive. They have A LOT of outages. And they just substitute other plants unless you specifically say not too. In essence they are selling product they don't have yet, and just hoping it shows up.

Corndog

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm wondering how I should handle my inventory from the public's view. Should I have it display out of stock items and allow people to put in their email to receive a notification when it's back in stock. Or only show them what is in stock? There are also plants that are hard to care for/can be touchy and wouldn't want them sitting in holding tanks for extended periods of time. Half of me says, just sell the bread and butter plants, the other half says, I could have those be pre-order?

I'm wondering if the out of stock inventory, with notification thing will be that useful. In theory it could get a customer back a month down the road, but being online only, perhaps they'll just hop to the next vendor to have it? In my retail store the notification thing worked well because they intended to pick up live fish from the store, not online...

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I think Dr. Fosters only shows in stock for their live section. That is for their salt section though.

Since you are doing plant which just grows and not fish/inverts/corals you will just grow new stock fairly quickly.

I haven't done shopify but is it easy to drag things from one section to another? If you keep out of stock it needs to be visible without clicking into it. I should just know scrolling through a category whether or not it's in stock without getting into that item and then being disappointed.

Corndog

Lord Nagafen Raider
In general the plants will be purchased. The volume of plants that are moving will far exceed growing them. At least it's definitely this way at the retail shop. In theory online should be even more sales than in store.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
So right now you have no reservation system? If I want my aquatic white male tree and it's not in stock I just have to try back over and over until it shows up?

Corndog

Lord Nagafen Raider
So right now you have no reservation system? If I want my aquatic white male tree and it's not in stock I just have to try back over and over until it shows up?
Right, no reservation system. There are plants that far exceed demand. Say I order 50, I get shipped 5, they sell out in store the first day. Also taking pre-payment isn't an option because they not be available for 6 months to years... I can do a notification system when it's back in stock. However the problem is, lets say there are 500 plants. 50 of which are available 90% of the time, and the other 450 which are much more rare. Do I A, clog up the whole website with out of stock items. B, only show items that are in stock. C, don't even carry anything that isn't in stock most of the time?

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Right, no reservation system. There are plants that far exceed demand. Say I order 50, I get shipped 5, they sell out in store the first day. Also taking pre-payment isn't an option because they not be available for 6 months to years... I can do a notification system when it's back in stock. However the problem is, lets say there are 500 plants. 50 of which are available 90% of the time, and the other 450 which are much more rare. Do I A, clog up the whole website with out of stock items. B, only show items that are in stock. C, don't even carry anything that isn't in stock most of the time?
Well I'll put it this way, if I really wanted basically a commodity item from you and I have no way of actually ordering it unless I check one day and you mysteriously have it in stock I think I'd have to order elsewhere? Why not have a rare/slow plant section that people can submit preorder notifications for or something. Don't have it clog up the main site, just have it available.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Maybe limit the amount of pre-orders based on an average number received per order? Are all of these items being shipped to you first and repackaged or sent directly from the wholesaler.

Corndog

Lord Nagafen Raider
Well the way I like to run it is. Buy plants, list them for sale, sit on them for a week or so, so they grow a bit, then ship. That way it's not shipping for 2 days, then tank for 24 hours, then shipping for 2-3 days, that can be hard on the plants.

I basically use 3 plant suppliers. One of them I get the majority of plants from and could order weekly. The other two are more like once every 2 to 3 weeks because their prices are higher and selection smaller, but offer some things that the main one doesn't. I feel like the market right now is just catered to the lowest price. I want to instead charger higher prices and offer better quality. The same way my retail store does. I find that the lowest price game is a race to the bottom and most of the time people aren't very profitable in that game.

Anyone have ideas for value added things for customers? In the past I've seen shipments come with some candy. I've seen shipments where every plant was labeled, this was helpful I find. I think I need to incorporate it as well. When shipping fish a lot of times, always adding an extra fish to the shipment to make up for any dead loss was appreciated. I think the trick to winning over the customer is packing. If I can impress them with packing. That will instill confidence.

Corndog

Lord Nagafen Raider
Well I'll put it this way, if I really wanted basically a commodity item from you and I have no way of actually ordering it unless I check one day and you mysteriously have it in stock I think I'd have to order elsewhere? Why not have a rare/slow plant section that people can submit preorder notifications for or something. Don't have it clog up the main site, just have it available.
Yeah, I'll be doing something to figure out how to incorporate a pre-order or out of stock area etc.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Maybe you need to become your own grower. If the plants u mentioned are so rare, and in that much demand, keeping a healthy inventory maybe the way to go. I know plants don't grow so fast, but consider it a side enterprise.

Added value for customer, manuals of aquatic plants, with pictures and instruction on tips for keeping your aquarium healthy. Should you add salt? Spread those roots!!!. Why evil goldfish keeps eating my plants!!! Wood or stone adornments? What ever u can think.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Break bad and use this as a front to sell weed, coca, poppies, etc. as ferns for aquariums. Tell us everything.

Corndog

Lord Nagafen Raider
Break bad and use this as a front to sell weed, coca, poppies, etc. as ferns for aquariums. Tell us everything.
This is already too true. When you use that much power at home for even just aquariums you get visits from people wanting to make sure you actually have aquariums... not not giant grow rooms.

Corndog

Lord Nagafen Raider
Maybe you need to become your own grower. If the plants u mentioned are so rare, and in that much demand, keeping a healthy inventory maybe the way to go. I know plants don't grow so fast, but consider it a side enterprise.

Added value for customer, manuals of aquatic plants, with pictures and instruction on tips for keeping your aquarium healthy. Should you add salt? Spread those roots!!!. Why evil goldfish keeps eating my plants!!! Wood or stone adornments? What ever u can think.
This is the direction most people try to go in with growing their own stuff. The truth is that if you're growing it yourself you're losing money. Lots of companies have come and gone with the intent of growing their own and selling it. Shrimp and Plants. What could go wrong? Demand far exceeds what you can produce. On top of that. Lets say something as simple as Java Moss which you can't buy grown under water wholesale. It may take you 3 months to make 10 portions out of a 125 gallon tank that you sell for $6 each. In the mean time, it took 3 hours of labor over those 3 months, at even $10 an hour, and $5 in power. So you've eaten over half the profit. Then theres the problem of you can sell 3-10 portions of java moss a day. And thus you sit out of stock all the time on it.

Compare it to a plant you buy wholesale. Price between $1-$2 depending on species including shipping and you sell it for $6.

Rarely does it ever make sense to be the maker of a product and the retailer of a product. By doing both you're ineffecient at both. This is why when your favorite fast food runs out of Tamatos or Lettuce 5 times a year they don't have a farm start growing it for them. The reality is, they'll lose money on it.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
This is why when your favorite fast food runs out of Tamatos or Lettuce 5 times a year they don't have a farm start growing it for them. The reality is, they'll lose money on it.
Actually they do. They purchase the production of multiple farms ahead of time in order to secure inventory. Because people will go to other fast food places that do have tomatoes.

Corndog

Lord Nagafen Raider
Actually they do. They purchase the production of multiple farms ahead of time in order to secure inventory. Because people will go to other fast food places that do have tomatoes.
Right in the same senario, I purchase plants ahead of time. When all the farms are out of supply. No one has tomatoes. Just like no one will have the plant I want to sell. The mcdonalds down the street from you doesn't then set up a personal farm, to make sure that never happens again. They simply go without and continue on.

If I'm out, everyone will be out unless they were producing it for themselves. In which they aren't making enough money to subsist. I'm not gonna say it could never be done, but no one has pulled it off yet. Everyone in the industry is either wholesale or retail. There are a few retailers that give the guise of growing their own, but they aren't because they can't keep up demand.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Maybe I'm underestimating the logistics for plant growing. Im just thinking is just a pond without any fish on it, expose to sunlight, bam .. instant plant growing