Adventures with Corndog: New .com launch.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
You gotta handle individual packaging, labeling, portions, etc. and that's just harvest. You also have to stagger planting to maintain fresh supplies of some plants over a longer season, and keep track of ages. There are a lot of little steps, and a lot of space needed to do it right. He's not trying to vertically integrate to that degree (if at all).

You really need to be a big deal for it to make sense economically. McDonalds can call the shots in the agricultural industry because their bargaining power is immense. When they did apples a few years back they forced a revolution in apple growing in the USA to meet McDonald's supply and timing demands. No one else matters. You take what you can get or manage triple the headache to control production, wholesale, and retail.

Corndog

Lord Nagafen Raider
Maybe I'm underestimating the logistics for plant growing. Im just thinking is just a pond without any fish on it, expose to sunlight, bam .. instant plant growing
Could only do outside ponds here in Seattle for about 4-6 months before it was too cold. Also you need to control the sun. At the farms in florida the crews change the shade cloth based on how sunny it is. Also you have to control algae. The reason plants run out of stock is because they are labor intensive. They put less priority on plants that are harder to grow. Most people don't know that almost every plant is grown out of water. The things that typically run out are ones that have to be grown under water. Many farms don't even want to touch that plant, because they don't have to worry about algae being above water etc. All they do is go chop some off the bush/mother plant, throw it in a pot or wrap lead weight around it and ship it. A team of the cheapest labor you can imagine does this.

These are pictures from when I visited the largest aquatic plant farm in the US.
rrr_img_102715.jpg
rrr_img_102716.jpg
rrr_img_102717.jpg

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
This is already too true. When you use that much power at home for even just aquariums you get visits from people wanting to make sure you actually have aquariums... not not giant grow rooms.
What state is that in? I had to have 3-phase power run to my house so I could run my equipment and I've never heard that. Maybe we're not in a grow house rich environment.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Yea those idiots, I have three phase for my centrifuge, no dumb pot growing bin!

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
What state is that in? I had to have 3-phase power run to my house so I could run my equipment and I've never heard that. Maybe we're not in a grow house rich environment.
Three phase is not an extended amount of power draw though. You use it then shut it off. Pumps and Metal Halide lighting can be a continuous draw and the lighting is usually programmer for a day cycle whether it's for plants or aquariums. Easily noticeable by the power company and they care about things like that.

Corndog

Lord Nagafen Raider
Three phase is not an extended amount of power draw though. You use it then shut it off. Pumps and Metal Halide lighting can be a continuous draw and the lighting is usually programmer for a day cycle whether it's for plants or aquariums. Easily noticeable by the power company and they care about things like that.
Exactly, It's usually the neighbors that make statements like that house is always light up. They must be growing pot. Someone calls the police, someone shows up, and you show them unlimited aquariums. I'm not sure how forceful they'd have to be, but an entire room/building very well lit up might be probably cause to search? Since I've nothing to hide, no reason not to open the door and let them see. This is in Washington State.