Advertising: Pro's and Con's of Various Media

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, the length has been a definite concern of mine. Glad to hear some affirmation as far as that's concerned. Trimming, however, is going to be a pain in my editor's ass, haha. I think what you're both saying affirms one of my fears with this video, so thanks for the honesty.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
We shot our TV commercial yesterday, I should have a rough draft tomorrow. I'm pumped, I was interviewed last week on the news, and picked up a $1,950 job just from that. We'll be on the morning news, and branch out from there.

What this will bring, I don't know, but you have to be willing to try different things.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
I just did a demo reel yesterday for motion graphics. Adding in 3D effects and the like to get something more like this in my future videos:

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
We shot our TV commercial yesterday, I should have a rough draft tomorrow. I'm pumped, I was interviewed last week on the news, and picked up a $1,950 job just from that. We'll be on the morning news, and branch out from there.

What this will bring, I don't know, but you have to be willing to try different things.
We ran our first spot on the 10 pm Sunday news, and got our first call off of TV over lunch on the next Monday. It looks like it's going to be a big job and the owner has some money. I'm a bit surprised we got a call already. Hell, I've had billboards not get me any calls until two months after I put them up.

edit: 30% of the calls that came in today were off TV, WTH. Everyone tells me it takes months to get calls like that. I don't consider the spot to be anything great either, it still needs work.

Izuldan_sl

shitlord
Actually whoever told you that is wrong. With television, calls come in early, because your ad is fresh. Once attrition and ad fatigue sets in, your ad is less likely to generate calls because people have already seen it for months. Hence the need to make a new ad every few months.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Actually whoever told you that is wrong. With television, calls come in early, because your ad is fresh. Once attrition and ad fatigue sets in, your ad is less likely to generate calls because people have already seen it for months. Hence the need to make a new ad every few months.
Everyone I talked to has said to expect more calls in month #2. Anyway, I've always thought of TV as raising awareness, surely I'm not offering any fire sales. The commercial is just a branding spot. I was surprised that the people said they saw the spot, looked at the number on it and called directly from the commercial.

I'm on NBC, the lowest rated TV network right now. If the numbers hold out, I could potentially double my phone calls, and double the size of the company. There are lots of assumptions behind that, but we close 40-50% of the estimates we run.

At this point, I'm going to make some changes to the spot (it's too wordy), and move slowly onto the other networks. My estimator can only handle so much (right now, he's behind by 3.5 days on estimates), so I'll need to find a second one. Also, double the calls means I'd need another crew, which means I'd need to drop 150k in equipment. That's pretty much my cost of equipment per crew.

Nimchammund_sl

shitlord
Hi Lyrical,

From a brief scan of your other posts I would assume your business is somewhere down in Georgia. Now, if you ever do plan to branch out and find yourself in the New York metro area I can work with you.

I'm an Account Executive for 77 WABC Radio. We've got talent such as Don Imus, Geraldo Rivera, Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, Mark Levin, Michael Savage, and John Batchelor on our Monday through Friday schedule.

Imus is also simulcasted on Fox Business Network.

Aside from radio, we also have a digital broadcast on wabcradio.com and banners as well as streaming commercials are available. We also do outdoor events such as Golf Outings and park events.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Networking is fine and all Nim, but... you're really making me scratch my head here.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
I just paid to have our website professionally done. Before this, I had a site that I made myself, but I wanted to have a site that would be head and shoulders above the competition. Long story short, when they revamped our site, they ended up getting us organic listings in every area we do business, on the first page. How they managed to give us better placings than Angie's list and craigslist, I don't know, but I need to find out. I'm thinking if I don't understand it, and some asshat comes in and pulls a Tyen, we'll be bumped back.

checkyeah_sl

shitlord
If you aren't using it already,SEOmoz is now Moz. Software and Community for Better Marketing. - Mozis pretty much the only software you need.

The comment I left was vague. Let me extend on it.

The only damage that someone can really cause to a domain is building low quality links. As long as you are monitoring your inbound links, you are golden. Content can be duplicated, but that's 100% in your control, so not really an issue.

A typical search agency will use a variety of site explorers that have their own indexes. This gives the agency a variety of sources for determining new and existing links.

SEOmoz is now Moz. Software and Community for Better Marketing. - Moz
Majestic SEO : Backlink Checker Site Explorer
http://www.ahrefs.com

Most importantly:
Google Webmaster Tools
Bing Webmaster Tools

Both are free and give you insights into links going to your website, crawling errors, and other recommended information.

Using Moz and webmaster tools is an ideal combination for local and state wide businesses. There are plenty of other benefits of these tools as well.

checkyeah_sl

shitlord
I just paid to have our website professionally done. Before this, I had a site that I made myself, but I wanted to have a site that would be head and shoulders above the competition. Long story short, when they revamped our site, they ended up getting us organic listings in every area we do business, on the first page. How they managed to give us better placings than Angie's list and craigslist, I don't know, but I need to find out. I'm thinking if I don't understand it, and some asshat comes in and pulls a Tyen, we'll be bumped back.
Depending on how long ago this was, it is normal for a business to achieve temporary rankings then lose placement. Let me give you an example:

A website builds out 10 new pages of services they offer. Google will most likely index all of these pages within 30 days. Once indexed they are given a position within the search results for those related services. In some cases they will show up in the top 1-3 positions and potentially drop 3-10 positions. All of this depends on your competition of course. It could be a soft market and even AL, CL, Yelp don't have much authority. If you are initially ranking in the top few positions then that's an excellent sign that no matter what happens, you shouldn't have much difficulty getting back there.