Age of Wonders 4

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
2023-03-03 13.16.20 www.paradoxinteractive.com 569541200ffe.png

Genre(s): 4X
Developer: Triumph Studios
Publisher: Paradox Interactive
Release Date: May 2, 2023

Best gameplay I could find, somewhat annoying to have the picture in picture set up they chose to go with:

Store Page:

• 4Like
  • 2Mother of God
Reactions: 5 users

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I have crazy fond memories of LANing Age of Wonders and Age of Wonders 2 with my buddies, back in the early 2000s. Two of which are now dead :emoji_cry: .

This looks great though and should bring back some crazy nostalgia. 3 was solid, but just never hit the same as 1 and 2.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Oh you can customize the races and shit, that looks really neat. I played 3 a bunch and liked it, haven't played the space one they did inbetween but looking forward to this.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

velk

Trakanon Raider
3 has some amazing mod development too. hopefully they are as open/easy to mod in 4, as the will is obviously there.

Watched the char and world creation video for 4 - that's some serious customization - looks promising.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
Paradox is publisher only for this one, the dev is Triumph Studios.

So they *probably* won't release $8000 worth of DLC.
Tell that to Cities: Skylines.
I'm not hating though, DLC bloated Paradox games like Stellaris are still awesome.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
This looks like a fantastic iteration of AoW3. I still play that sometimes. I tried getting into AoW: Planetfall a number of times, but it's just not scratching the itch like AoW3. Hopefully this hits GoG again.

• 1Solidarity

Burns

This goes through all the custom race features and leader creation magic books. Figured I would just skim it, and ended up watching the whole thing. It looks like it will help give the game some legs, after the campaigns are done.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

OneofOne

Part 1 and 2 of Mystic Elves play through, 2 hours each. Dude playing is a bit fruity, but I enjoyed all the aspects of the game shown.

There are certain aspects of the game that I'm not a fan off - "provinces" map vs completely open map, though this seems to be where all games are going. And you'll no longer be able to enter battle with more than 3 stacks of units, and in-battle healing doesn't transfer to after-battle results while damage does. But I'm still damn hyped.

• 1Like

velk

Trakanon Raider
and in-battle healing doesn't transfer to after-battle results while damage does. But I'm still damn hyped.

I was a bit wary of that one initially, but after I thought about it a bit, I am fully in favor.

Deliberately stringing out already won fights so you can run guys around and heal them was always degenerate gameplay that wasn't much fun. I'm playing spellforce conquest at the moment on the highest difficulty, and I'm having to do that lot because 'healer' units typically heal 20 health distributed among the party per day, but can also cast 5-6 in-battle heals for 30 or more, as many times as you can start a battle in a day. It really doesn't make a lot of sense.

Deliberately starting easy fights when critically wounded so you could heal was always kind of silly.

I personally hate the mechanic of having loot on a tactical battlefield that mysteriously vanishes into thin air after the fight if you don't pick it up, and thinking about it - this is kind of the same thing.

OneofOne

I was a bit wary of that one initially, but after I thought about it a bit, I am fully in favor.

Deliberately stringing out already won fights so you can run guys around and heal them was always degenerate gameplay that wasn't much fun. I'm playing spellforce conquest at the moment on the highest difficulty, and I'm having to do that lot because 'healer' units typically heal 20 health distributed among the party per day, but can also cast 5-6 in-battle heals for 30 or more, as many times as you can start a battle in a day. It really doesn't make a lot of sense.

Deliberately starting easy fights when critically wounded so you could heal was always kind of silly.

I personally hate the mechanic of having loot on a tactical battlefield that mysteriously vanishes into thin air after the fight if you don't pick it up, and thinking about it - this is kind of the same thing.
I don't fully disagree, but it also depends upon how it's balanced out, and we haven't seen everything yet. Like the Cleric world spell in AoW3 that prevented natural healing - a bit OP imo. The cheese could def be had in 3, like extending fights so you could True Rez as many enemy units as possible. And I do hope things like that aren't in this game.

Daidraco

I wonder if this is going on Xbox Game Pass since most of Paradox's other shit is on there.

OneofOne

I wonder if this is going on Xbox Game Pass since most of Paradox's other shit is on there.

OneofOne

This was added to GoG.com today, which is where I purchased it.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

OneofOne

This was released today. I'm getting NO work done.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

faille

Molten Core Raider
I love 4x games but I'm really turned off by the ones that try to meld tactical combat with their strategic components.
despite this, they always attract my interest, especially since there hasn't been a great 4x game for a while.
I'll probably wait on this one until it's on sale, unless it gets some glowing reviews.

• 1Like
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 1 users