AI images

Vuuxo

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Life as a ranger, only good as a snare bitch, but gotta keep recasting cause who the fuck knows if it'll end in 30 seconds or 3. Those things terrified me, instant death. With mostly PoP gear you were already stat maxed and so farming GoD gear wasn't that exciting. Just new +ability that noone yet datamined to find out what they did. First time my guild made real farm plow of GoD bosses all we got was rogue loot. Fully kitted 4 rogues in a week and i think all the enchanters quit in protest. GoD sucked as a ranger, weaponshield to position the bosses in those tiny rooms, die, and not get rezzed in time to tag the boss. WoW launched a week later, guild died that day as most of us jumped off EQ. Crazy.
This basically happened to my guild as well. Basically had end game on farm status. WoW was released and the entire guild jumped over to WoW and rolled Horde.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I forgot how quickly the entire community seemed to switch from EQ to Wow. That whole migration seemed to happen over the course of 2 or 3 weeks, didn't it?

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Vuuxo

Karen
<Gold Donor>
I forgot how quickly the entire community seemed to switch from EQ to Wow. That whole migration seemed to happen over the course of 2 or 3 weeks, didn't it?
For my guild within 24 hours. For the brother and sister guilds. 2 to 3 days.

I know a lot of people in EQ jumped ship day 1. Some people played both for awhile but ultimately WoW won the subscription.

• 1Solidarity

Goonsquad Officer
Wow ran better and smoother than eq1 did on shittier machines. We had a room of Lan gamers, like 8. 3 played eq. The rest played random mmo or other games. All of them became wow players after the public stress test thing

• 1Like

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
My interest in EQ peaked during Planes of Power, by the time Gates of Discord was out I was playing some other games and wasn't attending a lot of raids, plus they were so rough it was hard to get anything done in my mid-tier guild. I remember playing Omens of War for a few days but then WoW Beta came out and I jumped right into it and rarely looked back. I still have my EQ account so I go and visit old places every couple years, but the game has changed a lot. Many old models are gone replaced by what I find to be soulless new high-resolution models, many zones have changed (look how they massacred my Freeport boy).

Some more Muramites today.

An aneuk, priest of pain of the Legion of Mata Muram. Horribly disfigured, covered in burns and scars, the aneuks are often leaders of small bataillions of shock troops such as mastruq, kyv and ukun minions.

_0dbc9335-25e5-48a0-90bc-216c57052cfd.jpg

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
An ikaav, reptiloid enchantress and sorceress. Probably the only sexy muramite but then you freaks Weird Boner bixies so I don't know anymore.

_0bb8b7db-abc5-438f-8dcb-45d06be6340f.jpg

• 6Like
  • 1Weird Boner

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
A huvul. Those towering two-headed monsters rank high in the hierarchy, generally acting as Zun'Muram or district commanders in the Muramite slaver expedition. Their only superior is the Tunat'Muram who leads the entire interdimensional incursion on Taelosia.

_365d6daf-40bc-4a5a-930d-2fa58d5116fb.jpg

Last edited:
  • 7Like

Tholan

Blackwing Lair Raider
The only fond memory i have from OOW is the Riftseeker. Massive crystal fortress / interdimensional spaceship crashing unto planets to for loot sounded fun.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Thread went down hill when images from vanilla through Velious stopped.

• 1Faggotry
  • 1Like

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
I don’t remember the GoD mobs looking so cool lol. I def had a blast charming those Pookas tho, that shit carried big time for the dungeons. You just needed a snaring buddy that wasn’t asleep at the wheel, or better yet just box one yourself.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
You know, Gates of Discord gets a lot of shit but to be fair they had a pretty cool idea with the interdimensional sado-masochistic invaders, a sort of mix of Warcraft's Burning Legion and the Hellraiser cenobites.. ritually scarred and mutilated shock troops, priests of pain, etc... but they had to split the expansion into two (Gates of Discord and Omens of War) and never adjusted the content to the intended increased level so we ended up with a way overtuned expansion with only a few small zones, mostly repetitive mob skins, and an uninspired story (who gave a flying fuck about saving the Taelosians we never knew existed until a week prior?).

So anyway, another of the Legion of Mata Muram, the kyv archer.

View attachment 500483
GoD sucked because it was broken as fuck. Once everything was fixed, it was a pretty big leap in encounter complexity/difficulty.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I don’t remember the GoD mobs looking so cool lol. I def had a blast charming those Pookas tho, that shit carried big time for the dungeons. You just needed a snaring buddy that wasn’t asleep at the wheel, or better yet just box one yourself.
iirc, could do everything but the boss solo if you had beefy gear and/or didn't mind eating a few deaths to prove a point :) Pretty sure you needed at least a healer to keep your pet alive for the boss, at least at 65.

• 1Like

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Wow ran better and smoother than eq1 did on shittier machines. We had a room of Lan gamers, like 8. 3 played eq. The rest played random mmo or other games. All of them became wow players after the public stress test thing

Same happened with my crew. AS soon as the public stress test came out we immediately all said we were playing WoW. The UI, the smooth graphics, the game play intuitiveness. I wish I could warp back in time and experience that all over again. EverQuest was fucking amazing. All these pictures Runnen has been posting gives me a hardon. I wish EQ had an updated game that was similar to WoW but with the lore, the AA's, raids as large as 72 people or whatever it was, all that stuff.

Of course I wouldn't be able to play it like I did back then but that's a whole nother story.

• 2Like

Kais

<Gold Donor>
The scale of some of the stuff in EQ was never matched in wow. EVE is on another level, but it's different and can't compare. I still think 10th Ring War was some of the most epic shit ever. You needed what was it, 4? separate raids in zone coordinating to defend different areas at different stages of a 3 hour fight. Waves of giants stomping across the land. Took weeks of planning by your guild after a year of camping rares and maxing tradeskills to even start. Most of the server would get involved.

But the early days of WoW were magical. It was so different, you felt powerful. Impactful. Character progression was tangible. Grinding a camp was gone, and so the community shrank. /trade spam and /gchat were as far as lots of players ever went. Then again, crossroads and southshore 24h pvp fronts hasn't been matched in any other game either.

Runnen Runnen care to take a swing at ring war pics? though might be too long a string to describe :/

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
Runnen Runnen care to take a swing at ring war pics? though might be too long a string to describe :/

I made a few. As expected, you can't really get a lot of accuracy on detailed appearances for vast armies, it's more of a general appearance and style, but I tried to go from my memories of the event (I did it myself) and the feel of the Great Divide area where it takes place. I'll try and make some more detailed smaller groups of Coldain warriors and Kromzek giants when I have more time. Let me know if you have specific requests, always fun to try and tackle.

_49b2846c-cb9a-4053-a181-0ece66cd59ed.jpg

_6f788977-a87c-49e6-bedd-0bc865743c85.jpg

_2de6b55f-406e-4b02-afe8-bf6492b9926f.jpg

_139e0e56-6139-4b6e-909d-e3f3231759e7.jpg

• 9Like
Reactions: 8 users

Kais

<Gold Donor>
That's pretty close, fantastic as always. Got the look and feel right! Brought a smile to my face after a crappy day at work :)

• 2Like

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
I sincerely hope this one doesn't get any Weird Boners.

A tentacle terror.

_e13be39c-c163-47d8-9b6c-558a3c09e6c2.jpg

_2053434a-78c8-4ef6-9504-0cd1cfd4dbdd.jpg

The boss version

_20f1aa2c-8b67-4ed5-acd4-cdcd3ec95d0a.jpg

• 6Like
  • 2Weird Boner
Reactions: 7 users

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
The Tunat`Muram, Cuu Vauax. Overseer of the Taelosian invasion and slaver extraordinaire, under orders from Overlord Mata`Muram. Once the Muramite forces successfully opened a portal from Kuua to Norrath, they swifty and brutally took over the strategic locations of Taelosia, notably Qvic where the portals were maintained by taelosian traitors of the Trusik tribe and Muramite sorcerers. Tacvi was chosen as the headquarters of the Muramite expedition and the Tunat`Muram's seat of power. A small force of taelosian rebels managed to cut off the portals and the Muramite forces were left stranded on Norrath. With armies of Norrathians rallied by the Wayfarer's Brotherhood to Taelosia, the Muramites would be destroyed and Taelosia saved. This was not lost on the Riftseekers, who had orchestrated this invasion to find a force strong enough to defeat the forces of Discord, and gave the knowledge to the Norrathian priests of Discord to open portals back to Kuua soon after the Taelosian invasion had been thwarted.

_9803533c-748a-430e-afcd-e24ecd221851.jpg

_eff131b6-d131-47e4-b845-5e4fa12a00e9.jpg

_726b444f-66ef-4e81-86b3-c63cd73352fa.jpg

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users