Alan Wake 2

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
This launches the 27th. Fired up. I love the Alan Wake Universe.

This and Spiderman 2 and a gaming weekend inbound to boot :)

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Really wanted to pick this up day 1 (pending reviews, since the Alan Wake remaster was such a mixed bag) but I refuse to support the EGS exclusive + digital only on consoles double whammy. Especially when they flat out lied about why they went digital only.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Really wanted to pick this up day 1 (pending reviews, since the Alan Wake remaster was such a mixed bag) but I refuse to support the EGS exclusive + digital only on consoles double whammy. Especially when they flat out lied about why they went digital only.

Wasn't following the digital only deal. What did they lie about?

Vorph

Wasn't following the digital only deal. What did they lie about?
They're saying that it's so that they can continue to work on the game right up until release instead of doing a gold master.... as if every game made doesn't do the exact same thing with a day 0 patch while still releasing on disc. They should have just come out and said that they don't want to deal with the used game market instead of insulting everyone's intelligence.

Also, I'd put the chances of it having Denuvo on EGS at about 90%.

• 1Like

Vorph

I guess Remedy saw the system requirements for Remnant II and decided that was a 'hold my beer' moment.

6700XT or 3070 to be able to run the game at 540p60 on Medium settings. Or 720p30 if you want ray tracing (set to Low) turned on. Of course they publish the reqs with the FSR/DLSS resolution instead of what the game actually renders at, but still... I can deal with fake 4K or even 1440UW, but fake 1080p is just retarded.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I guess Remedy saw the system requirements for Remnant II and decided that was a 'hold my beer' moment.

6700XT or 3070 to be able to run the game at 540p60 on Medium settings. Or 720p30 if you want ray tracing (set to Low) turned on. Of course they publish the reqs with the FSR/DLSS resolution instead of what the game actually renders at, but still... I can deal with fake 4K or even 1440UW, but fake 1080p is just retarded.
Thats just retarded. Go look up steam avg specs which as the 3060 at the top spot, second is the 1650. The next like 10 cards on ther list are all xx60 variants from past generations. So if you design your PC game for anything other than that to run at least on med settings 60fps 1080p youre just retarded and your team does not know how to design games for the AVERAGE PC specs and you will sell jack and shit for PC. Like who the fuck is going to buy this POS to run at 15fps on an average gaming pc in 2023 which has a 3060, which BTW is still a $300 card. And WTF is 540p, like who the fuck is going to run this game like that, can you even do this? Are they designing this game for 2050 specs? Like WTF?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Vorph

WTF is 540p
540p is the internal resolution when you set a game to 1080p with FSR/DLSS on Performance mode.

I guess they weren't working on the game's performance with all that extra dev time they magically created by not releasing physical copies.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Reviews are out and are all 9-10 range.

• 3Like
  • 1Barf
Reactions: 3 users

Vorph

Wow, so apparently even if the game wasn't an Epic exclusive I still wouldn't be able to play it on my PC (since it actually isn't infected with Denuvo). It'll attempt to run on GPUs that don't support mesh shaders and DX12 Ultimate, but people are saying it's essentially unplayable due to performance, artifacts, and random crashing. So the minimum requirement of a Radeon 6000 series or RTX 2000 series is pretty much carved in stone. I'm using a 5700XT with zero problems in any other game, but I'm guessing based on how much better mesh and amplification shaders are than edge shaders this will become a huge problem by next year. Which kind of sucks because I really do not want to upgrade before the RDNA4 based RX 8000 series launches, and that's likely a year or slightly more away still.

One strange thing about all this, I was under the impression that Series X supported mesh shaders but PS5 went with primitive shaders instead. Makes me wonder how Remedy got around that or if the PS5 version ended up inferior in some way.

• 1Like

Brodhi

I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.
<Donor>
"Hey, 99% of our audience doesn't want to play as a black female for the majority of the game, should we maybe consider our audience"

8415yd.jpg

• 4Like
  • 3Worf
Reactions: 6 users

Aazrael

Golden Baronet of the Realm
After I finish Spiderman 2 I thought I'd start my Alan Wake journey. I might have missed the free AW1 period on PS5 unless it's still available. But is this more of a jump scare game? Not sure my heart can handle that!

• 1Like

Vorph

I might have missed the free AW1 period on PS5 unless it's still available. But is this more of a jump scare game? Not sure my heart can handle that!
You missed it unless you added it to your library back in July, that's when it was one of the PS+ Essential games.

And there's barely any jump scares in the first game at all. It's just creepy and for the most part the enemies are just standing out in the open for you to deal with. From what I've heard the sequel is basically the same.

• 2Like

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
After I finish Spiderman 2 I thought I'd start my Alan Wake journey. I might have missed the free AW1 period on PS5 unless it's still available. But is this more of a jump scare game? Not sure my heart can handle that!

This has jump scares, sort of? If you played FF7 remake, when Cloud gets his flashes of the future, Alan Wake 2 has a lot of similar flashes only they are very sudden and loud. It's dark, you hear sounds, then suddenly a 1-2 second flash of an image with a loud sound, then you go back to walking around. It likes to do that a lot.

• 1Rustled
  • 1Like

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
It’s definitely more horror focused than first but nothing too horrifying (yet). Game looks and runs wonderfully a few hours in and loving it.

• 2Like

Argarth

On the verandah
Already knew it was a dead loss on my 1080Ti anyway, but finally found a proper review.
Kinda funny just HOW bad it is for people without HW Mesh Shader support.

• 1Like