Albion Online

uniqueuser

Vyemm Raider

Can't believe people are whining about being trained in a pvp dungeon whilst playing an open world PvP, sandbox game. Man the fuck up.
Smarten the fuck up: it's not training that's the problem (although the devs disagree because they're trying to eliminate it), it's that absurd scenarios like the one Lumi described are commonplace in this game owing to the blindly ad hoc rules governing it.

AO's devs have a purely reactionary design philosophy that's about treating symptoms but not the disease and not seeing the forest for the trees. It's antithetical to the "player-driven open world sandbox buzzword buzzword" bullshit always being regurgitated to describe the game.

Strifen

Molten Core Raider

Smarten the fuck up: it's not training that's the problem (although the devs disagree because they're trying to eliminate it), it's that absurd scenarios like the one Lumi described are commonplace in this game owing to the blindly ad hoc rules governing it.

AO's devs have a purely reactionary design philosophy that's about treating symptoms but not the disease and not seeing the forest for the trees. It's antithetical to the "player-driven open world sandbox buzzword buzzword" bullshit always being regurgitated to describe the game.

Rothir

Lord Nagafen Raider

I actually enjoy the game, and have been playing for a while. Started off with KDS and am one of the founding members of Tea Party. With that said, what uniqueuser posted hits the state of development right on the head. The dev team is wholly reactionary and seems to lack any foresight at all. A good example is that at the start of the current beta, the dev team wanted and thought Caerleon would be the main city hub for the royal continent. It was obvious as soon as the map released to everyone else that Fort Sterling was in the best location and would most likely end up being the QueensMarket of this beta. It sits equidistant from the quays to both the western and middle outlands islands, and is also well positioned for excursions into red zones.

So now they have a patch that will force Caerleon to be the main city, because they didn't get what they wanted. They have completely redone the world map three times now, maybe more. They just don't give any level of confidence that they know what their end goal is, or how to achieve it. At the same time, they are harming guild mobility through artificial lockouts (we routinely travel from clack to aberdine to fight forces and castles on the western island) and reducing the number of large fights that go on.

I still enjoy the game, and will play at launch .. but it might be more because of my guild members and that the game presents something different from yet another WoW clone.

Edit: Typo

Last edited:

Barab

Silver Knight of the Realm
Forced ? I and others were giving feedback on the test server before Galahad was even released that caer wouldn't be used as the capital unless they made changes. As someone who spent plenty of time in the black who isn't in a zerg guild I welcome removing the useless black zone cities funneling everyone to caer.

Furthermore allowing nefarious rep now an easier path of existence, as someone who has been nefarious, is nothing but a positive change

Rothir

Lord Nagafen Raider
Forced ? I and others were giving feedback on the test server before Galahad was even released that caer wouldn't be used as the capital unless they made changes. As someone who spent plenty of time in the black who isn't in a zerg guild I welcome removing the useless black zone cities funneling everyone to caer.

Furthermore allowing nefarious rep now an easier path of existence, as someone who has been nefarious, is nothing but a positive change

Totally agree that the black zone cities are worthless. Also, I'm taking it from the point of view of someone who spends 95%+ of their time in black zones, and never flags in red. I've got the highest reputation rating, so I'm perfectly fine with Fort Sterling being the main hub. I will admit that I forget about people who ruin their rep by pvping in red zones, so Caerleon being the main hub definitely works out well for them. But nothing I said was saying Caerleon being the "main capital" was negative.

The only point I was making was ... that it was obvious to everyone but the devs that the outlands cities would be empty and that Fort Sterling would be the popular city. They should have understood this. I didn't mean anything negative when I said "force", although you appear to have thought I did. Note that even though the devs were told prior to Galahad that Caerleon wouldn't be a main city, they still didn't get it. You knew this. My whole guild knew this. Pretty much everyone but those making the game understood this.

Barab

I hear ya , just saying devs are trying to get this as right as possible, as in they actually listen to us on these changes.

Everyone shits on the devs but these guys could have released already.

Last edited:

Rothir

Lord Nagafen Raider
I hear ya , just saying devs are trying to get this as right as possible, as in they actually listen to us on these changes changes.

Yeah, they definitely are listening .. they just have no ability to predict. Hence the comments about reactionary development. I really do love playing the game, I just don't have much faith that they can get it "right". They are definitely trying hard, and working their asses off. They just keep missing the mark.

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
While I still like the game and will certainly play again at launch, I do think the team might have a problem of giving too much creative freedom to the designers. I don't hate the idea of using a beta to test a bunch of different ways of solving or preventing various issues, but the overall effect so far has definitely appeared pretty slipshod. I wonder if they will continue to make such fundamental tweaks to the game after release.

Barab

Good points, when I bought in to AO I thought I wouldn't enjoy the click to move top down game but it grew on me. At least these latest changes on paper should encourage more PvP in the black as well as red. I am really looking forward to the towers being pvp nodes that drop resources.

DonBenno

Molten Core Raider
im torn, i kind of like the access to outlands but dislike the fact its pretty much essential to have your base/island in carleon now, pretty sure the servers will have problems come release. They need to do some work on the hellgates (instanced 5v5 PvP) as the full loot ones are dead atm but will be 100% better come release

DonBenno

Molten Core Raider
So, anyone still playing or really looking forward to release like i am? More specifically any EU players looking for a guild?

Fenz

Yes sir. In The Filthy Casuals at the moment. I am from the EU too. Will see how many players they have on on "EU-times".

Fenz

He is the main recruiter. We are in an alliance. Not sure what they will do when it goes live.

Barab

Cool, best of luck, I am running with a guild in the Exodia Alliance (Mostly Harmless, Lords of Death, Undead Lords and handful of others).

Rothir

Lord Nagafen Raider
Definitely looking forward to launch finally. Took 3 days off work.

And .. Ah .. Exodia. I'm one of the founders of Tea Party. See you at launch =)

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user