Alien: Romulus (2024)

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
This is just gonna be that Pete Davidson horror movie but with an Alien instead of Pete Davidson.

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Just give me smart well written characters that either die despite making good choices or end up surviving because of them. Hell give me smart colonial marines action too. That's all I need. Don't reinvent the wheel.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Yep, real men played AVP1 where if you died you had to start the whole goddamn level over. Was a bitch of a game but it was so awesome. AVP2 had some of the best multiplayer ever, but the single player wasn't near as intense as the first one.
Oh god that and AVP2 where awesome. Spent countless hours playing the horde ai mode in AVP1 and the alien zombie mode in AVP2.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Instead of Burke bringing the Alien back for profit, the socially aware woke teens bring the Queen back to fight the patriarchy.

cosplaying alien queen GIF

Last edited:
  • 5Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 5 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Oh god that and AVP2 where awesome. Spent countless hours playing the horde ai mode in AVP1 and the alien zombie mode in AVP2.
I don't remember the zombie mode in 2, what was that? I used to play multiplayer and back in the day with CDs, we'd install it on everybody's computers at a LAN party. Was always a favorite .
When you ran the alien life cycle that was shit. Face hugger insta kill some fucker, but then running around is the baby alien trying to hide was intense. God such a great game.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
We will say

"Please make something cool with colonial Marines again"

and it will remind them to ruin that too after Little Mermaid/Diablo

Real men beat AVP for the Atari Jaguar as the marine

This with small edit and what I think you meant

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
This got me thinking about the Thing remake by John Carpenter, which was panned on release by a bunch of worthless critics, despite being a superb movie, better perhaps than Scott Ridley’s Alien.

Cameron’s Aliens, I’d probably place higher but also that was an entirely different move (less horror, more action).

Of course they did the 2011 “prequel”, which was more or less just a remake with a female lead, fairly mediocre.

Outside of the 1982 movie, there’s the short story the Things, by Watts, which is the only material to come out of the “franchise”, that is comparably as brilliant, being written from the perspective of the “Thing” it seems like every 20 years or so, you get a solid action movie and maybe every 30 years a good to great horror movie. I wonder if we see that cycle continue, as the media has become sputal garbage, run by sputal garbage

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
This got me thinking about the Thing remake by John Carpenter, which was panned on release by a bunch of worthless critics, despite being a superb movie, better perhaps than Scott Ridley’s Alien.

Cameron’s Aliens, I’d probably place higher but also that was an entirely different move (less horror, more action).

Of course they did the 2011 “prequel”, which was more or less just a remake with a female lead, fairly mediocre.

Outside of the 1982 movie, there’s the short story the Things, by Watts, which is the only material to come out of the “franchise”, that is comparably as brilliant, being written from the perspective of the “Thing” it seems like every 20 years or so, you get a solid action movie and maybe every 30 years a good to great horror movie. I wonder if we see that cycle continue, as the media has become sputal garbage, run by sputal garbage
That's a pretty fantastic short story. You could probably turn it into a phenomenal short film if done right.

I would say there's been some pretty good horror movies out in the past decade that will probably stand the test of time. The Witch and Hereditary both come to mind. Trying to think of something with a little bit more of a science fiction element to it, and can't come up with anything off the top of my head.

Can you think of anything more similar or along the same vein as the thing or alien? Just wondering.

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
That's a pretty fantastic short story. You could probably turn it into a phenomenal short film if done right.
Can't over emphasize how well crafted it is, a movie translated from it would be probably really hard. Very hard to make it a horror movie for example, given the Thing is alien to us, primarily what makes it scary, thus hard to relate to its fear, granting it is alive in the same sense that we are.

One caveat, despite how well written The Things is, the Thing's intelligence, in both Short Story and movie is considerably high, for even a human. At some point, the Thing perhaps, could probably have tried to talk to, or broker some sort of peace, even if only temporary, which would be stronger self preservation technique than just trying to...well, the end sentence of The Things....

Can you think of anything more similar or along the same vein as the thing or alien? Just wondering.

Nothing that nears in comparison, Life (2017) was "ok", or even good by Today's standards, which is not high praise. However, back to the Caveat of The Things, there's an argument to be made around the Alien in Life, which if you haven't seen

The Alien doesn't act with communication skill, despite being able to seemingly understand and calculate, if as a species it evolved intelligence in a non- social, non-altruistic fashion (re: Octupuses semelparous life cycle) , it could both view the only solution to its survival as to attack, while being able to interpret behaviors, understand language to a certain degree, abuse weaknesses, and similar to the Thing, adapt biologically rapidly. Where as in The Things, the Thing finally does understand, but decides on the same destructive path, instead of some level of negotiation, despite seemingly finally at some point coming to understand human morphology and behaviors. Yes, it didn't consider what it was doing, to be "death" or destructive at first, but it did near the end, and instead of calming the fuck down, it just wants to fucking assimilate/consume/absorb everything, and do so in a brute force sort of fashion even.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
The last Avatar movie should have the Aliens crash landing on Pandora and wiping out the planet.

• 1Like

Goatface

It might be ok, but don't think going to see anything haven't seen before.

• 2Like

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Looks like shit and whoever made it has zero idea why Ripley, Vasquez and all the other women in Alien(s) are scifi icons so they just try to shoehorn more women into it.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
It might be ok, but don't think going to see anything haven't seen before.
Yeah but you haven't seen a ton of facehuggers chasing after the crew of a spaceship or a team of Marines. I mean did you see all those facehuggers, it was a lot! I mean I don't think I've ever seen that many in one place before, I'm not sure to be frightening.

Plus it looks like there was a new pulse rifle, you haven't seen that before!

• 1Worf
  • 1Picard

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
we lost At the Mountains of Madness for this series

• 2Like
  • 2Rustled
Reactions: 3 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
we lost At the Mountains of Madness for this series
I remember when Guillermo del Toro was trying to get that off the ground, and I want to say even Tom Cruise was trying to do something with Steven Spielberg to adapt The novella. I'd really like a good well done six part miniseries or even four episodes or something.

Maybe get a guy like Mike Flanagan to do it, but I don't know how much of a Lovecraft fan he is.

• 1Like