All Stephen King Books

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
I enjoyed Wind Through the Keyhole, and even Eyes of the Dragon. Not his best but enjoyable.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
I just finished the first Dark Tower book like a half hour ago, and I'm not even sure what I read. I dunno it felt like a whole lot of nothing happened to be honest, and reading these last few pages it seems to not be a late bloomer. Not sure if I want to continue as it just never grabbed me. It felt like the grabbing point was just around the corner, but it just never happened.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
If you didn't like the first one I can't imagine you're going to like the next few.

Reht

Molten Core Raider
I don't know, i wasn't a big fan of the first book either but the Drawing of theThree definitely grabbed me.

Brodhi

I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.
<Donor>
Yea I think you can be fine not liking the first one and there is still a chance liking the next few. The first is drastically different then the next few, which are drastically different compared to the last few.

Also, I concur about any audiobook done by Frank Muller, that guy was great and really brought to life Dark Tower 2-4. Also check out The Talisman and Black House audiobooks.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
the first book does grab you, but its a subtle grab. the oracle succubus sets up the series events. then when Jakes gives his famous line "there are other worlds than these" its supposed to say, "this is going to be a huge adventure. buckle up buckeroos" then at the very end when roland wakes up from his parlay with Walter, he discovers that he has been in that spot for a ridiculously long time and walter is just a bleached skeleton. of course this is all nothing compared to Drawing Of The Three and Waste Lands, but its there.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Maybe. idk, I was really into the first one and I liked how much he left open. Nothing worse than a book that tries to pack in as much explanation as possible. Drags the story down. So coming out of that one I was all in, and the next several were top notch.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Maybe. idk, I was really into the first one and I liked how much he left open. Nothing worse than a book that tries to pack in as much explanation as possible. Drags the story down. So coming out of that one I was all in, and the next several were top notch.
I read The Gunslinger maybe 5 times. compared to the dozen or more times i read each of the next 2 books would indicate that i agree. its a weaker story and to be honest i never read it til after Drawing of The Three because it wasnt a widely released book until then. they didnt have amazon back then you could browse for it. it was either pay crazy money at the book store(80 bucks in 1985 dollars?) to special order the book or borrow it from the local library which didnt have it either.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Finished The Stand. So far my only King experience has been the entire Dark Tower series (sans keyhole) and The Stand. All in the space of about six months.

Jesus, those endings. The last third of The Stand I just wanted it to end.

• 1Like

Sterling

El Presidente
Finished The Stand. So far my only King experience has been the entire Dark Tower series (sans keyhole) and The Stand. All in the space of about six months.

Jesus, those endings. The last third of The Stand I just wanted it to end.
That's the norm for like 95 percent of his books.

• 1Like

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I'd also like to point out that reading about AIDS Vampires in 2017 is very cringe. Like ... I'm sure that may have been terrifying in the late 80s and early 90s...

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
If you're reading one of King's books and you can feel everything building towards a gigantic action-packed confrontation between good and evil with supernatural forces in the mix than it's probably going to end in disappointment.

Dalven

Saor Alba
<Donor>
That's been my overwhelming experience with King - enjoy the ride while it's good because the ending is more than likely going to be terrible. The Stand was especially guilty of this.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I think plenty of his books have good endings. The Stand and the Dark Tower series did not. DT's ending didn't offend me nearly as much as The Stand though.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
In stories that are building to a gigantic fantastical battles and climactic confrontations between good and evil Stephen King eats ass. Reading through something like The Dresden Files has made me appreciate just how bad King really is at paying off everything he's been building towards if what he has been building towards is a fight.

The Dark Tower has no grand confrontation between The Gunslinger and The Man in Black. There is no final showdown between Roland and Randal Flagg. It never happens. The final confrontation with The Crimson King is a joke. A character we've never seen comes through a magic door and literally erases the Big Bad of the multiverse. In The Stand the literal Hand of God detonates the nuke that the Raggidy Man brought into the city. Then the book continues for another what, 50 pages? Doctor Sleep builds towards a massive fight between The True Knot, a coven of psychic vampires, and our heroes. In the opening paragraph of that fight every vampire save two gets instantly jobbed out. The remaining fight is ass. The ending of Needful Things the book is shit.

But I love the endings of Salem's Lot, Pet Semetary, The Running Man, The Long Walk, The Shining, Insomnia, and a bunch of others. Storm of the Century? Great ending.

The other issue I think is that he's written some fucking bricks. I don't think there's anything wrong with the endings of Tommyknockers or IT and as I've said I really like Insomnia but I can see people not being satisfied after 900 goddamn pages. He also has a bad habit of not ending a book when the book is over. Gerald's Game is like that and it even bleeds over into the movie. Holy shit it's over. It was good and it's over. Why is this going on for another 15 minutes? End on a high note, goddamn.

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
Honestly surprised this hasn’t been made, looked through everything and only saw the thread on “Dr. Sleep.”

Anyways, this can be a thread for general discussions of King’s works.

I suppose major plot spoilers should stay censored for people who haven’t gotten around to reading all of King’s stuff, I know I haven’t.

Izo

Tranny Chaser

Use the search function more, TheNozz TheNozz

• 1Double Worf
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 1 users

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Since Izo wants to bump this shit again, I'm finally getting around to Salem's Lot. Reads like King's prototype for everything so far. It also makes me realize that if I were in a situation where I needed a crucifix right now, I would be fucked. Checkmate at last, atheists.