All things Brandon Sanderson

• Some things are broken. We are working on it. See the XF 2.2 Complaints thread for updates as they are available.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Bronze Donator>
104d 17h 0m
I feel like Sanderson is just much much better at shorter books.

Same. WoR and WoK were great and exciting, but at this point it feels like he’s writing to get this out of his system and prove something. I’ll excuse him his magnum opus as long as he keeps producing all the awesome “side” content.

Ritley

Ssraeszha Raider
95d 13h 51m
Just finished, by far the worst in the series so far. I didn’t even dislike Oathbringer as much as some here, but RoW is simply filler.

There are definitely some important parts, but those could have literally all happened in part 1 and then moved on. Devoting most of the book to Kaladin being a whiny bitch and Shallan being a retarded schizo was a poor choice. Especially considering thats basically already the plot of Oathbringer.

Last edited:

Mythas 5thboardnow

Bronze Knight of the Realm
12d 6h 31m
Finished the book yesterday, wanted to marinate on it and really see how i felt.

Pro's: Kaladin is on an upward trend now. He should have been "fixed" but as long as he gets back in the game and is done with moping about it will be a net positive.

I personally enjoyed the tower ( urithiu or however its spelled). I would have rather liked a more guerilla warfare / subterfuge from the good guys but it was a decent story.

Shallan is closer to becoming ONE character.

Con's: I give zero fucks about venli and eshonai. I don't need the time line of events from their PoV. A simple exposition of what was guiding them / motivating them would have been enough. However he chose to just dump and dump more cosmere stuff through these chapters.

The book is filler and just a data dump. This is the winters heart of the series. Its a grueling slog with spats of really important stuff ( info not story ) mixed in. You could literally read the last 400 pages and not miss too much.

To much focus on the various fused. He is trying too hard to get the readers to sympathize with who he has established as the enemy.

A giant middle finger to the ending. Like for real. You deprived everyone of a great middle series climax.

Furry

<Gold Donor>
77d 8h 24m
I'll give it a try because I go through so many books while working. That said, I'm gonna be flopping this one at the ass end of my queue of books, rather than cutting it to the front like I would with a winner. Will come back with my valuable opinion in about a month or so.

Aazrael

Trakanon Raider
49d 1h 42m
Listening to the audiobook right now but as others said. Nothing is happening. Same whiny characters that never seem to do anything. I just dont feel this series is for me.

I just listened to a 2nd run of malazan and enjoyed that one just as much as the first time. But stormlight, not so much. I just dont find any likable characters as of yet.

Ritley

Ssraeszha Raider
95d 13h 51m
Listening to the audiobook right now but as others said. Nothing is happening. Same whiny characters that never seem to do anything. I just dont feel this series is for me.

I just listened to a 2nd run of malazan and enjoyed that one just as much as the first time. But stormlight, not so much. I just dont find any likable characters as of yet.
Eh, Kaladin was a good character in book 1 and book 2. I’ve always liked Adolin, and Dalinar has mostly been a good character. I’ve never really liked Shallan though.

The flashback focus of book 4 being Venli was a mistake though, no one gives a fuck about her.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: Rime

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
71d 21h 33m
This is disappointing to hear. I was hoping this book would get rave reviews and allow me to get back into the series after not being to get through the 3rd one.

Ritley

Ssraeszha Raider
95d 13h 51m
This is disappointing to hear. I was hoping this book would get rave reviews and allow me to get back into the series after not being to get through the 3rd one.
It’s mostly cut of the same cloth as 3. It’s not bad and is still interesting throughout most of it, but it has some serious pacing issues (as well as character struggles that are just plain fucking tiresome to still see as the character development focus 4,000 pages later)

The venli flashbacks are a drag, but at least it doesn’t take up many pages.

• 1Like
Reactions: Rime

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Bronze Donator>
104d 17h 0m
When I was flying back from vacation the guy across the aisle was reading Way of Kings, while Skyward was on my Kindle and I had the hardback Oathbringer in my bag. Almost struck up a conversation with him but nothing good was going to come of that. He would have asked my opinion and didn't want to disappoint the guy.

He put down WoK and fell asleep about 20 min in to the flight.

• 2Worf
Reactions: Aazrael and Rime