All things Brandon Sanderson

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
The complete graphic audio is finally out so I guess I'll give this a go sfter I finish the main malazan series

velk

Trakanon Raider
Cytonic was pretty good, although I was a little disappointed at the ending. For some reason I thought it was the last book, not another cliffhanger.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Cytonic was pretty good, although I was a little disappointed at the ending. For some reason I thought it was the last book, not another cliffhanger.
I'm only halfway through it, so I can't speak to the cliffhanger. I also thought it was the last book. I've been enjoying the series though, and it seems like he's kind of making a universe out of it. There have been a lot of side story books. The one about the phone company, and a couple other characters have gotten little books.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
So I finished it, and I will say there was definitely an opportunity to end the series if he wanted. I'm going to listen to the Alaneek book next (Redawn), but I have a feeling the Jorgen one coming out soon is going to be the one that is pretty interesting based on the end of Cytonic.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Maybe it's just my reaction to the lower target audience age, but I feel like the Skyward books are better sales pitches for the inevitable TV series than they are books. Cytonic in particular was just utterly devoid of plot tension.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Maybe it's just my reaction to the lower target audience age, but I feel like the Skyward books are better sales pitches for the inevitable TV series than they are books. Cytonic in particular was just utterly devoid of plot tension.
Having read a fair amount of young adult type books over the years, I'd imagine it's more just about character growth than moving a specific plotline. These are also relatively short books for Sanderson. I think the book was pretty predictable, but it was mostly just about bringing you along for the journey of discovery. How did Cytonics come to be, what are the delvers, what's the problem, combined with growing as a person.

I will definitely give you that for the most part all the characters are very one dimensional, and nothing going on is very deep.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Can I get a tl;dr on what that fat lesbian said?

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Arative

Vyemm Raider
Can I get a tl;dr on what that fat lesbian said?
He wrote 4 more secret novels in the past two years and is doing a book club kickstarter where you can one book quarterly for the lowest tier and more shit if you pay more

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
He wrote 4 more secret novels in the past two years and is doing a book club kickstarter where you can one book quarterly for the lowest tier and more shit if you pay more
Damn, I was hoping he is fast tracking the next Mistborne novel. Fucking lesbians.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Kickstarter reached 11 million of his 1 million goal.. wow
$12.3M now 35 min after your post. I wonder how this compares to all the money he's made from his other books.

Edit: This has tripled his net worth maybe, in four hours? Those celebrity net worth site say he's got $5-10M now. Lol.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
$12.3M now 35 min after your post. I wonder how this compares to all the money he's made from his other books.

Edit: This has tripled his net worth maybe, in four hours? Those celebrity net worth site say he's got $5-10M now. Lol.
It really doesn't. I'm sure Kickstarter takes a cut, cost of goods and shipping on all the physical stuff, and then he employees a good amount of friends and family that I'm sure he's paying a good salary too.

I'm not saying he's doing bad, he's definitely making good money on this. But probably not nearly what you'd expect

Mandriana

It really doesn't. I'm sure Kickstarter takes a cut, cost of goods and shipping on all the physical stuff, and then he employees a good amount of friends and family that I'm sure he's paying a good salary too.

I'm not saying he's doing bad, he's definitely making good money on this. But probably not nearly what you'd expect
The Mormon church needs it's 10% too.

velk

Trakanon Raider
Authors get ludicrously shitty royalties from traditional publishing in most cases.

He is certainly not getting 12 mil but he is going to be getting a metric fuckload more than if 12 million worth of books sold in stores.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
and here I thought it seemed like he had slowed down from his typical ludicrous pace. He didn't, he just did it in secret.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Arative

Vyemm Raider
The Kickstarter has reached over $20 million. Apparently the biggest Kickstarter of all time

• 3Like
  • 2Mother of God
Reactions: 4 users

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Finished Redawn and Evershore, the second and third Starsight novella following Allanik and Jerkface. I've tended to enjoy the Starsight stuff way more than I'd have expected. They do a great job of moving the universe forward outside of the main story.