Amazon Buys Curse gaming.

jrbuddha

Silver Knight of the Realm
Amazon Just Bought This Gaming Company
Amazon’s game streaming service Twitch acquired gaming community Curse.

Amazon has bought another video gaming company as it tries to add more content to Twitch, its video game streaming service.

The online retailing giant said Tuesday that it had bought Curse, an online media and gaming community. Financial details of the acquisition were not disclosed.

khorum

Murder Apologist
Curse? The shit I used for WOW add-ons? What do they even do now?
Just about everything. They own mmo-champion, diablofans etc. They raised like 60 million in VC funding and used that fatten themselves up for a big buyout like this.

Oddly enough, Twitch prolly wants them most for their "unionforgamers" content creator thing.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Don't know about the other sites, but diablo fans is kind of a cluster fuck now with constant problems. Kind of like going backwards in time on some of their shit.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
They also own a lot of wikis for a lot of popular games because they own gamepedia. I know recently they fired the guy who was working on the Path of Exile wiki or some shit, and first thing they did was slap some fucking massive ads. I don't mean like a big banner, but like a gigantic popup that covers half the right side of the screen kind of shit. Obviously it still gets blocked by adblock, but yeah fuck Curse. They also ran a fairly popular voip program some years ago on LoL, but not sure if that's still a thing or if Discord took over. It had borderline functions for LoL specifically, like ultimate timer tracking or blue/red buff spawn time or whatever the fuck and there was some shit happening at some point as far as I remember.

Can't say if it's a good or bad thing they're getting bought by Amazon, although I think it probably can't be much worse unless Amazon wants to alienate a bunch of people(by like making the ads so you can't view the pages when they're blocked).

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
I would guess that Amazon is well along in their development of a gaming platform similar to Steam and bought up Curse to develop exclusive mods/add-ons/DLC for it.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
I would guess that Amazon is well along in their development of a gaming platform similar to Steam and bought up Curse to develop exclusive mods/add-ons/DLC for it.

Curse never actually made anything did they? Pretty much just a depository

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
That's what I thought to, but apparently not. Great marketing on their part lol.

tyen

EQ in a browser wait time: ____
<Banned>
Curse is a piece of fucking garbage company.

The former owner, basically got millions from his daddy to buy gaming websites. End of story, this is how Curse became what it is.

That dude is a worthless human being.

• 1Solidarity

tyen

<Banned>
Just about everything. They own mmo-champion, diablofans etc. They raised like 60 million in VC funding and used that fatten themselves up for a big buyout like this.

Oddly enough, Twitch prolly wants them most for their "unionforgamers" content creator thing.

Req used to host: MMOChampnion, ElitistJerks, MTG Salvation, Nihilum, and a few other really fucking good internet properties. I grew the Uberguilds network from just FoH, to like 100 different websites, these were some of them.

Curse bought all of them.

We ran into this Curse faggot many times, he is a shithead. "Here is 50,000, let me destroy your community."

I still think Curse/MMORPG.com etc are morons.

You see how much a website is making in advertising. You offer them the sum of their advertising + $500 every month to control their ads. They agree, you make a retarded amount more than they ever could because of your advertising skills.

Thats it. You don't have to buy these websites, you don't have to shit on their community. You just give them fucking banners. Give them a set amount of $ every month, and take the rest.

You give me an A+ Advertising guy, i'll give you fucking gaming sites. That's for goddamn sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • 1Like

tyen

<Banned>
Did req get stock?

lol wat, no.

The person hosting and running your ads no longer gets to host or run your ads when another company purchases it and now owns it.

Our ceo (gamerDNA) was a pile of dicks anyway. He didn't give a fuck about our 10 million unique visitors/mo gaming network that we built from scratch...even though he acquired our uberguild business.

He (gamerdna ceo) used our numbers just to scam his own investors to get more money.

Last edited:

spronk

FPS noob
someone should troll mmorpg.com by pretending to be amazon and interested in buying their business

• 1Like

tyen

<Banned>
One website i ran into while doing that, Serebii. Biggest fucking pokemon website in the world. I talked to the kid, he made $2,500 in advertising every month. for 3 million unique visitors.

That is absolutely absurd, any competent professional ad guy can make like 5-10k/mo off this, with ease.

I offered the kid 3 grand every month and he would never have to worry about his ads ever again.

He was 19 and had to ask his fucking mom, and she said no.

Extremely pissed off times dealing with competition idiots, ceo idiot, and community leader idiots. Rustled my jimmies hard, but I did a fucking ridic good job.

Below was our growth pre-10mil uniques

C4WnwUM.png

Then after the company went bankrupt, fired everyone, the new owners of the company knew where the value was, and increased it from 10mil to 20mil. Effectively doubling it and making it one of the top 10 internet properties for online gaming.

gamerDNA Media, the digital advertising firm that gives advertisers a targeted, creative gateway to some of the most buzz-creating influencers on the web, today announced that its video game ad network has grown 277% over the past 12 months, delivering ads to sites with a combined potential reach of more than 20 million unique United States visitors every month.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity