Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
Popped up onSteam for pre-orderat 20% off, the release date is finally set for September 10th, 2013.

This is a successor to Amnesia: Dark Descent.

Set on New Year's Eve 1899 in Victorian London, the focus of the story will be Oswald Mandus, a wealthy industrialist, and his relationship with his children. Mandus returns from a "disastrous" expedition to Mexico, where tragedy struck. Hit by fever, Mandus has frequent dreams about a dark machine until he regains consciousness. Little does he know that months have passed, and upon awakening, he hears the roar of an engine and a mysterious machine starts up.

The game will feature several real interlocking storylines. Some take place in the past, some in the present, and some are overtly real while some may be imagined.

Official site:http://www.aamfp.com/

Bain

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I played some of this last night and was horrified. So far it doesn't disappoint.

Doleo

Trakanon Raider
I have only played about a half hour - 45 min of the game so far. I immediately noticed some things that were different. The unlimited lantern, no inventory, sanity, and other similar effects in amnesia TDD are gone. I'm not sure if this was a good idea, seems like they are dumbing down the game. The other thing is there's shit ton of doors and other objects you simply can't interact with. Don't put a damn door in if you can't even click it or have it rattle and have "it won't open text" appear.

I had to adjust the gamma a few times. The brightness doesn't seem right. I went to the forums for an answer and holy shit are there alot of whining posts. I hope I didn't waste 16 bucks.

Apparently Frictional games is only the publisher. The studio that made Dear Esther, The Chinese Room, is actually the creators of this installment of Amnesia. Everything I've heard and the little bit of game play I've watched points to to them having made Amnesia: Dear Esther and as such the game itself isn't really all that good. Seems like a decent story, but the original Amnesia combined story and game play to make a very scary experience... Dear Esther style game play doesn't cater to that at all.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Apparently Frictional games is only the publisher. The studio that made Dear Esther, The Chinese Room is actually the creators of this installment of Amnesia. Everything I've heard and the little bit of game play I've watched points to to them having made Amnesia: Dear Esther and as such the game itself isn't really all that good. Seems like a decent story, but the original Amnesia combined story and game play to make a very scary experience... Dear Esther style game play doesn't cater to that at all.
What is Frictional working on right now or did they just fire everyone who actually makes games and just try to milk a second title from the name?

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
What is Frictional working on right now or did they just fire everyone who actually makes games and just try to milk a second title from the name?
Amnesia 2 ?

Don't forget that Machine for pigs was supposed to be a small addon released a year ago. That gives me the feeling that the developers underestimated the time it takes to get a game like this right, even though they said that "what they came up with was so good we decided to delay it and give them more resources"

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
^^ Avoiding the purchase until it is on sale. Thanks for letting me know. Dear Esther was decent for what it was, but I got it for $1.99. Part of the awesomeness of Amnesia was the possibility of running out of lantern fuel. That alone, to me, makes it suck.

If you are into horror games, Outlast is definitely up your alley this go around and worth the 20 bucks.

Fuya_sl

shitlord
Having no lantern oil was the first sign that someone fucked up. The dark is meaningless now that I have the ability to always have light. In Amnesia there were many times I ran from one light source to the other in total darkness because I wanted to save oil for when I really needed. Running in the dark was factor 8 on the NOPE scale but it beat being stuck in the wine cellar fumbling around for a key with no lantern. The amount of stupidity that goes into leaving out one of the very things that make Amnesia... well Amnesia has to be ranked up there with "lets put nibbles on the batman suit for the movie" type of level.

It isn't so much the limitless light source as Outlast effectively had the same thing (batteries were everywhere), but what Outlast did right and AMFP seems to do wrong is the implementation. Outlast took in to account the fact that your "lantern" could always be on so they either tossed you in to situations where the light source was useless/near useless, or they used the fact that you had vision to actually scare the crap out of you. So thematically and always on light source worked in Outlast. AMFP on the other hand seems to just say here is our story, doesn't that well lit pigs mask look scary? Oh and our always on light source is going to clue you in to when enemies are around as well. Have fun. It just doesn't have the same impact as the way Outlast did it, and that to me signals a problem with core design decisions in a supposed horror game versus just a flat always on light source being the issue.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
^^ I agree.

Also, paranormal came out today. Is that any good??

iannis

Musty Nester
They get major bonus points for the name but yeah, it's just not as good.

It's still worth buying. It's not horrible. It's an on sale game.

Since I have been really critical of the game so far, it does have its good points to be fair. The story itself is much more horrific and just plain better then the story in TDD. If only the game game play and implementation of the monsters was better then you would have a game that blow's away TDD.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
Yeah, just finished it myself and have to agree. The story is definitely more twisted and interesting than the first, but the gameplay was weaker. I didn't find it as scary as the original, and it didn't feel as interactive. It did have some good moments. The steam tech type atmosphere was pretty good, they used more "boiler room" type background effects ala old school Nightmare on Elm Street movies, which was nice.

I found the "infinite lantern" wasn't really a big deal, most of the game had atmospheric lighting, and the enemies cause it to flicker off anyway.

It definitely feels like a big DLC than a full game, though. Steam says my total time played on it was 6.6 hours.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
I'm kind of shocked they would use almost the same storyline as Justine. I was watching the demo for Outlast and man, that looks terrifyingly good.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Outlast is fucking awesome. If you have a choice, buy that instead.