Any Lawyers who have dealings with car dealerships?

Legaeveth

Silver Knight of the Realm
ok here is the situation. I bought a new 2013 Genesis R spec in mid March of this year and at that time I traded in my Chevy Tahoe. I still owed about 6200 on my Tahoe and upon trading the vehicle in I pulled up my loan that I had with Chase for the Chevy and the salesman wrote down the information on my payoff. Now forward two months I get a letter in the mail saying the payoff quote "I" told them was off by about $127.00 and that I need to write them a check for the difference. This just sounds to me like they fucked something up and are trying to get me to give them extra money for whatever shit reason. Since I signed a contract already for a new loan do I even have to pay this just because they fucked something up?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
well they would pull up the payoff and once you trade the car in they transfer the title and become responsible for the loan amount not you.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Yeah they call up whoever your previous loan is through to get the payoff. That's not on you, it's on them.

Legaeveth

Thats what I was thinking as well. I've bought over a dozen new cars in my lifetime and never had an issue like this pop up before. Just sounded weird to me. Thanks

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Sounds like they didn't pay it on time, and they got accrued interest for the couple of weeks they were dragging their feet.

Also sounds like their fucking problem, not yours. Unless you have the title to the car in your possession, it ain't your problem.

Legaeveth

I just pulled up my account that I had my Tahoe financed through. When they initially paid off my vehicle they were apparently $38.01 short on the initial payoff. I have no idea how they even came to the conclusion I owe them 127.00 dollars.

As far as the contract I signed they agreed to payoff the remaining balance on my vehicle I just read it and even in the fine print I didn't see anything that would imply that I would owe anything additional once they agreed to pay it off. Just a weird situation I never ran into before.

Unidin

Molten Core Raider
Just be careful. While you're technically in the right, that loan is still on your credit and Chase will report it late at some point.

At that point you'll be able to take the dealership to court and sue them for damages, but I'm assuming you'd like to avoid that.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Call Hyundai corporate and let them know fucktards are ruining their reputation.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Oh I didn't realize this was Hyundai. Bunch of scumbagging fucks over there. Wouldn't be surprised if corporate sent you a dildo in the mail.

Trollicious_sl

shitlord
As someone who works for dealerships, they technically fucked up but you are still on the hook.

I know 100% what happened.

You told them what your pay off was and they used that. The problem with that is that it was probably a payoff for THAT DAY. You are paying interest per day on pretty much any car loan these days. So they sent in a check for the number you quoted, but not for the time that it would take for them to get the check. So you still owed a balance of $25 or something. The bank doesn't write that shit off. Since your account wasn't paid in full, you are accruing interest per day and are probably being assessed penalties as well. Not only that, it is still on your credit report and showing as late.

This is why I never listen to customers, get my own pay offs, *AND ALWAYS OVER PAY* on pay offs. Worst case scenario we overpay and the customer gets a check in the mail and don't remember/understand why.

1st thing is first you want to get that paid off. You can bring the receipt into the dealership and ask to speak to the GM and have them eat the bill but the shitty thing is, it is going to come out of the salesmans pocket IF they agree to pay it off anyway.

No real good solution to this but I hope that helps.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Not only that, it is still on your credit report and showing as late.
And that's why he should pay it. Hell, sometimes we get money back, it all evens out in the end. We sold our house a year ago, and got money back because they screwed up our escrow.

Trollicious_sl

shitlord
Don't get me wrong, I know dealerships have the ability to ruin someones life.

That said, I fucking hate dipshit customers whose first inclination anytime anything goes wrong is to sue. In this case, they took YOUR word for your payoff and you are thinking LAWYER LAWYER LAWYER. Flip side, if they paid $3000 too much and were asking for it back you would be saying LOLEATADICK. Right?

EDIT : Grumblethorn is 100% WRONG about that by the way. You sign a bunch of paperwork stating so at any dealership saying that you are responsible for any difference in payoff. They are basically buying your car from you and expediting the process (and in most instances, paying the car off because most people don't/cant afford to pay off their own vehicle before selling/trading).

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Just pay it. That payment MIGHT cover an hour at a lawyer's office. Don't take a ding on your credit over a tiny sum like that regardless of who is right or wrong.

Legaeveth

Update: Called Chase to find out about the 127 dollar payment. They informed me the dealer did not make a 127 dollar payment to them at anytime. Hyundai dealer paid 38.01 to pay off the loan the difference that was short on their initial payoff. Chase informed me not to pay the 127 dollars since its a bogus claim by the dealership. They said if the dealer makes any more requests about a false claim they said they made they will get their legal department to investigate the bogus claim. As far as my account with Chase its now closed and as far as they are concerned a closed subject..

Trollicious- I never gave them a word of mouth payoff quote. When I was at the salesmans desk I borrowed his computer pulled up my Chase account and showed him the payoff price. I do realize loans gain interest everyday. As far as what you and Grumblethorn talked about yes there is paperwork pertaining to the payoff quote and the difference is paid by me. The problem is the payoff quote and the difference between what they paid and what was still owed was 38.01 not 127 bucks. I would have no problem paying 127 dollars if that is something I owed. But I don't and the fact Chase said they never paid them that amount which is the part that pisses me off because now they are lying to me.

Trollicious_sl

shitlord
Well fuck them then. Nothing worse than a shitty dealership. They give the rest of us a bad name and make my job infinitely harder. What the fuck is the point of going after a customer for $100 for anyway.

My understanding was that chase was telling you you owed 127, not the dealership. Do a bit of research, find out who the owner is, and get into contact with him. Let him know exactly what went down and tell him that you are going to contact the BBB, google reviews, dealer rater, etc with bad reviews and see what happens.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Told you, Hyundai dealerships are filled with nothing but shitbags. Literally every single one I've ever gone to has had nothing but shitheads working there. Every dealership is filled with shitheads, don't get me wrong. I guess I'd call Hyundai dealers diarrhea-heads.

My mother-in-law bought an Accent (LOL) brand new, but paid in cash so it was completely paid off. When she brought it there for an oil change and sticker one year later, they said they failed her and she needed to buy all 4 new tires right now or she'd get pulled over on the way home. Luckily her son is a mechanic and was with her, told the guy to fuck off and left. Went somewhere else and it passed, guy said the tires were fine for another two years (she barely drives). She went back to have them fix something that was broken, and they kept pestering her to buy a new car. Kept telling her "come ahhhn, everyone has a car loan!" She had the car for only one year at the time. Fucking bullshit assholes.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
I know alot of people in the industry here in MA, and I can confirm that the hyundai dealers here are also more shitbaggy than the general dealers.