Anyone have experience working in Hotels? (Management)

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
My wife and I were on a trip to Hawaii last week, and after coming home, she said that maybe we should think about moving there. Our house is almost ready to put on the market anyway, so we would just uproot our lives and relocate. The problem is I currently work for my family business, and have for 20 years (I'm only 34). She, on the other hand, is a Nurse, so she can pick up anywhere.

Oh well. While staying at the Hotel, I was chatting with the Shift Manager at the front desk about life out there, pay and things like that, and it seems doable. Even if I don't have any real world hotel experience, what all is required for being a shift manager at a hotel/resort?

What education would help with this?

Thanks.

Vinen

God is dead
My wife and I were on a trip to Hawaii last week, and after coming home, she said that maybe we should think about moving there. Our house is almost ready to put on the market anyway, so we would just uproot our lives and relocate. The problem is I currently work for my family business, and have for 20 years (I'm only 34). She, on the other hand, is a Nurse, so she can pick up anywhere.

Oh well. While staying at the Hotel, I was chatting with the Shift Manager at the front desk about life out there, pay and things like that, and it seems doable. Even if I don't have any real world hotel experience, what all is required for being a shift manager at a hotel/resort?

What education would help with this?

Thanks.
Sounds like a terrible idea.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Are you even able to buy anything you want even? I had heard that unless you are at least 25% native islander or something you can't buy many properties.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
You'll be competitng for a job with people who just move there "for the fun" and the area rather than trying to make a living.

Vinen

God is dead
You'll be competitng for a job with people who just move there "for the fun" and the area rather than trying to make a living.
This.
Don't think you are the first.

Don't just move places on a whim because they seem nice. You life isn't a movie.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
This.
Don't think you are the first.

Don't just move places on a whim because they seem nice. You life isn't a movie.
That being said if you have an actual job lined up then take risks if you want.

I took a job in Germany even though it would rip up my whole family because we thought it was worth the risk. I wasn't going to move there and then look for a job though which is what you are looking at doing.

Always find a job that will support you in the place you want to go first and then move there.

Vinen

God is dead
That being said if you have an actual job lined up then take risks if you want.

I took a job in Germany even though it would rip up my whole family because we thought it was worth the risk. I wasn't going to move there and then look for a job though which is what you are looking at doing.

Always find a job that will support you in the place you want to go first and then move there.
This is a correct statement.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Actually, we wouldn't move first. I'm willing to try something crazy, but not stupid.

Get a job lined up, then move. It hasn't happened yet, though.

ValkyrieIATD

Silver Knight of the Realm
There's also a pretty significant amount of dislike for non-natives moving to Hawaii. My buddy moved there after growing up in New York and he said that, while, yes, it's an amazing place, he does feel the hate sometimes when native Hawaiians find out he just moved there.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
There's also a pretty significant amount of dislike for non-natives moving to Hawaii. My buddy moved there after growing up in New York and he said that, while, yes, it's an amazing place, he does feel the hate sometimes when native Hawaiians find out he just moved there.
Sounds like SJW dream home, they can finally feel the lack of privilege they've been yearning for.

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
A buddy of mine just moved back from there. Said that it was just way too expensive to live comfortably even if you're making good money. I can't imagine you're makingtoogood of a living off hotel management.