Archeage

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
My friend was bored today, drank some underwater breathing potions and explore the ocean floor...ended up doing like 10 tradepacks turn in he found at the bottom of the ocean.
smile.png

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
well I can say I most likely won't play a standard mage in this game......stationary casting annoys the fuck out of me now.

Cybsled

My friend was bored today, drank some underwater breathing potions and explore the ocean floor...ended up doing like 10 tradepacks turn in he found at the bottom of the ocean.
smile.png
Last night I was helping a couple friends do a cross ocean trade run, but we only had rowboats. Level 50 jelly killed one and camped the spot where the tradepack sunk...plus it was so deep, you couldn't get it and bring it to the surface before drowning.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
Getting to 50 doesn't take long. Getting your classes to 50 after you run out of quests does.
Only if you solo. Go check out Hasla or some other spot where groups AE grind 24/7. All you really need is one strong AE class and someone to restore hp/mana and you can keep a pretty decent stream of experience coming in for other groupmates who could be doing a full respec for all you care.

skylan_sl

shitlord
I was actually plesently surprised by the game. I usually hate tradeskills because it seems like such a side-game and I usually aquire better gear in dungeons and raiding than I can ever make. I never get to the point where I get the ultra-rare crafting mats so it really seems pointless to me. For some reason though, the tradeskills are fairly fun here. Maybe it was the fact that I didn't have a private farm not being patron and all, but I was able to find a really well hidden place in the mountains where I would grow all my plants / livestock. Unfortunately someone finally found it this morning and chopped down 4 trees, but left me 6 of them anyways.

I only got to level 27 this week however, so I'm not sure how I'm going to feel once I start getting into the pvp, but I'm at least seriously considering buying the headstart founders pack now.

Fogia_sl

shitlord
I usually hate tradeskills because it seems like such a side-game and I usually aquire better gear in dungeons and raiding than I can ever make. I never get to the point where I get the ultra-rare crafting mats so it really seems pointless to me. For some reason though, the tradeskills are fairly fun here. Maybe it was the fact that I didn't have a private farm not being patron and all, but I was able to find a really well hidden place in the mountains where I would grow all my plants / livestock.
What did you produce through crafting which made you feel that it wasn't a side-game ? Because I have a hard time finding a big incentive, esp. when you can't sell on the AH as a non-patron.

skylan_sl

shitlord
What did you produce through crafting which made you feel that it wasn't a side-game ? Because I have a hard time finding a big incentive, esp. when you can't sell on the AH as a non-patron.
Not much of anything to be honest lol, just making hereafter stones and various potions / food. I don't know why it feels more immersive. I did start planting some tree forests to get enough lumber for houses, etc in the case that I do decide to get patron status for the next beta. I just found it fun to be sneaking around and planting secret farms, making sure I wasn't being followed and what not. I'm sure it's just the new car feel with a new game, but it was fun.

Fogia_sl

shitlord
That's the issue I have with the game. Once the novelty wears off, it feels barely average. Basically, every time I was doing something, I was telling myself "OK, it's not bad, but I could playing X which has more content/is more balanced/is more interesting/etc ..."

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
well I can say I most likely won't play a standard mage in this game......stationary casting annoys the fuck out of me now.
Casters get a ton of instant cast aoe. No reason to stand there and spam fireball or lighting strike.

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
Casters get a ton of instant cast aoe. No reason to stand there and spam fireball or lighting strike.
Must be at higher levels, but I couldn't stand it to the point I dropped it at level 10.

Instead I was had far more fun with a melee and archery characters.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Must be at higher levels, but I couldn't stand it to the point I dropped it at level 10.

Keep going or take a look at the skill builder because besides a few abilities everything dps wise is instant cast and mobile. Even fireball becomes instant cast with combos and such.

ArcheAge Builder - Arche-Base

Melee is fun. Archery is solid. I found archery to be a little boring overall but still solid. Melee can do some really amazing things as well but have a higher skill cap now that the 2 shot stuff is gone. Magic can be a lot of fun as well.

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
That's the issue I have with the game. Once the novelty wears off, it feels barely average. Basically, every time I was doing something, I was telling myself "OK, it's not bad, but I could playing X which has more content/is more balanced/is more interesting/etc ..."
If you go into ArcheAge expecting to play it like a typical theme park MMO of course it's lacking. There are better games for PvE, there are better games for instanced PvP, there are better games for questing, etc. But if you go into it like a sandbox, there is a giant non-instanced/phased world where the players effect the landscape and the community and it's far from average. That's not saying it's the best MMO ever made or anything, but there is virtually nothing like it in the market right now, so yeah you could be playing a dozen other MMOs but you aren't going to get a large portion of what ArcheAge offers in those games. The question becomes is that what you are looking for in an MMO or do you just want another WoW clone with a fresh skin? Seriously, if you can find a sandbox MMO that brings the things to the table that ArcheAge but does it better I'd be interested in know what that game is, because I'd be there day one. What you call "novelty" are features that people who are sick of the theme park MMO have been waiting for these games to bring back for a long time.

And just a heads up, non-patrons can sell stuff on the AH with a one-time purchase (supposedly extremely cheap) on the marketplace.

In case you want to give it another go, an Exorcist build (Occ, Wit, Aura )is virtually all instant cast. But I agree, in general standing still while casting sucks hardcore and it's why I dropped Sorc even though they do crazy damage.

Fogia_sl

shitlord
But if you go into it like a sandbox, there is a giant non-instanced/phased world where the players effect the landscape and the community and it's far from average. That's not saying it's the best MMO ever made or anything, but there is virtually nothing like it in the market right now, so yeah you could be playing a dozen other MMOs but you aren't going to get a large portion of what ArcheAge offers in those games. The question becomes is that what you are looking for in an MMO or do you just want another WoW clone with a fresh skin? Seriously, if you can find a sandbox MMO that brings the things to the table that ArcheAge but does it better I'd be interested in know what that game is, because I'd be there day one.
EvE Online does that better from my point of view, albeit one can argue it has a much shitty PvE for instance.
In any case, I'm not saying ArcheAge is a bad game. My feeling is that it is kind of a "jack of all trades, master of none" amongst MMO games which, on top of feeling rather bland, is not the kind of game I can see withstanding the test of time. Especially since it heavy relies on having a healthy player base, so losing players could quickly lead to some vicious circle. On the other hand, I guess they could mitigate that tailoring the F2P status to retain more people.
Anyway, not trying to enforce this point of view on anyone. So, we'll see how it goes.

Bah, Fogia beat me to it. Yes, EVE does indeed do the sandbox experience better. Everything about Archeage in my experience was just so...bland and half assed.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Mainly because archeage isn't really 100% sandbox imo. It's probably about 60% of one. They seemed to have made sure they toed the line between usual MMO mechanics/features and the hardcore/sandbox stuff. How they turns out? Who knows. Maybe the korean market isn't good for a EVE/Shadowbane etc type game, so they went 50/50.

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Seriously, if you can find a sandbox MMO that brings the things to the table that ArcheAge but does it better I'd be interested in know what that game is, because I'd be there day one.
Haven and Hearth x1000. It has a ton of downsides granted (combat, bugs, 8 bit level of graphics, etc) but its sandbox cant be matched by anything.

Felmega_sl

shitlord
Bah, Fogia beat me to it. Yes, EVE does indeed do the sandbox experience better. Everything about Archeage in my experience was just so...bland and half assed.
No one that plays these 3D medieval fantasy games is thinking about EVE. Just forget EVE in any comparison to what MMO gamers are looking for in terms of a sandbox game. EVE is it's own little snowflake that the usual MMO gamer is not interested in.