Archeage

B_Mizzle

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I spent $150 for this game forever ago, played for a couple weeks and never touched it again. How disappointing am I going to be when I log back in?
I can't even bring myself to log back in and play again. Feel bad spending money for an MMO that I might not even install for launch.

eVasiege_sl

shitlord
Only level 8 and I think it's ok so far. Wasn't expecting there to be so many fetch and kill quests right off the bat. Nothing too different than the standard in that regard. Max level gogo rush is pretty apparent from the start.

Tol_sl

shitlord
I played a little bit despite saying I didn't have time to. The first impression was pretty bad. Seemed to be very much a questhub A -> questhub B ->questhub C sort of affair, which really seems like the opposite of what people would want in a sandbox game. Around when does it typically open up? I seemed to have some weird issues with screen flickering an my hotbar too, and wasn't overly impressed with the combat. Still, sandbox style games are rare, so I'll keep an eye on this and see if people's opinions at the top in the coming weeks are more favorable.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Leveling wise the game doesn't really open, it has quest hubs up to max level, but the map is seamless, most quests are quick and don't feel like a chore. You also earn XP with crafting and gathering. During leveling PvP normally happens a lot after lvl30, or before if you're actively looking for it. You're free to do most stuff before max level, you don't really need to rush leveling to get fun, you can be lvl20, take your friends, build a boat together to ride the sea, etc. Of course you'll get raped by lvl50 players, but it's not really a straight "lvl1-50 tutorial and then the game becomes fun".

There's an Archeage review in OP which you should read :[56k/Phone warning] Personal Review - What you should know about ArcheAge - New Articles & Guides - ArcheAge SourceSome elements aren't really up to date but it gives a lot of info about what you can do ingame. Also if you need more info about the game there's a nice website :http://archeage-ressource.fr/just switch it in English from French before you get a violent urge to surrender.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
No one plays AA for the PVE. No one who plays AA cares about the PVE. It's just something you do to get xp to level your trees. People keep trying the game and posting shit about the PVE. Like they are surprised. Have you read anything anywhere that says the PVE in AA is good? It's easy, it's quick, especially for a korean mmo. That's it.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I played a little bit despite saying I didn't have time to. The first impression was pretty bad. Seemed to be very much a questhub A -> questhub B ->questhub C sort of affair, which really seems like the opposite of what people would want in a sandbox game. Around when does it typically open up? I seemed to have some weird issues with screen flickering an my hotbar too, and wasn't overly impressed with the combat. Still, sandbox style games are rare, so I'll keep an eye on this and see if people's opinions at the top in the coming weeks are more favorable.
The leveling to 50 using the quests is basically a prolonged tutorial.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
No one plays AA for the PVE. No one who plays AA cares about the PVE. It's just something you do to get xp to level your trees. People keep trying the game and posting shit about the PVE. Like they are surprised. Have you read anything anywhere that says the PVE in AA is good? It's easy, it's quick, especially for a korean mmo. That's it.
I heard there was raid content. Wonder what thats like.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
The koreans idea of a raid boss is to just stick a mob in the open world, make it large, and give it a couple million hp.

eVasiege_sl

shitlord
Well, when your first impression of any game comes from the first several hours of gameplay, you would think they would try something else other than forcing boring PvE questhub leveling down your throat. If there is a large emphasis on building things, naval warfare and PvP, then those things should be introduced right away in one form or another. If there truly are a lot of sandbox elements, then players should more or less be able to decide how they want to approach the game from the beginning. I've had a ton of fun rowing my boat around and wandering random islands, and the fact that the only way to progress any further is by following the quest trail drives me insane.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Well, when your first impression of any game comes from the first several hours of gameplay, you would think they would try something else other than forcing boring PvE questhub leveling down your throat.
My first impression of any game always comes with watching gameplay and endgame content videos. I don't really care about reviews or tutorial gameplay, I need to see how the game has to offer on the long run. If you find first levels on some MMORPG boring, where you basically get new skills, build your character with abilities and gear, discover the world and interact with other people, maybe you don't like the genre. Therefore maybe they're not the ones trying to "force" you doing boring content, and maybe you're the one forcing yourself to play a game you don't like.

Xenrauk

Trakanon Raider
I think being able to start wvw or spvp from level 2 in gw2 has spoiled me.
While I don't expect a pve revolution every time a new game comes out, it would be nice if games started allowing viable alternative ways to level, much like gw2 now does with pve/wvw/spvp(somewhat), wow does with pve/bgs/lfd. For a game that's heavily focused on pvp in the endgame, you do have to slug through a lot of the same ole same ole questing pve content to get there, by level 10 I was just pressing g to skip dialogue, it's all just fetch me this or kill me this anyways.

I think people are "rushing" because they want to get to the pvp part of the game. There is a lot of pvp in the second half of the game, from open zone pvp, ship battles, arena, castle conquering, stuff that a ton of people would "like" to enjoy but have to suffer through the first half of boring pve to get to that point.

eVasiege_sl

shitlord
My first impression of any game always comes with watching gameplay and endgame content videos. I don't really care about reviews or tutorial gameplay, I need to see how the game has to offer on the long run. If you find first levels on some MMORPG boring, where you basically get new skills, build your character with abilities and gear, discover the world and interact with other people, maybe you don't like the genre. Therefore maybe they're not the ones trying to "force" you doing boring content, and maybe you're the one forcing yourself to play a game you don't like.
Of course I'm more interested in what games like these have going for it in the long run, I just don't want to wade through hours of stuff I've done 1000 times before just to get there. And the genre is pretty stale right now I think many of us can agree, so yeah, I'm kinda jaded. I'm forcing myself to play a game I want to like, but hasn't given much of a reason yet based on my initial gameplay experience. I'll probably try it out for a bit because it's free, and Ihavewatched gameplay videos which attracted me in the first place, but it is somewhat frustrating how "the game" never really starts until some point further down the road in this genre. Often times not even until you've already played however many hours and are max level.

Tol_sl

shitlord
Yeah, that was the same reason I asked. It wasn't "gosh this pve seems bad" as much as "how much of this shit do I need to endure before I can start having fun". Pretty much every MMO in a nutshell. Thanks for the resources, definitely look forward to seeing how you all do and maybe jumping in when I have some more free time down the line.