Arkk's Weight Lifting / Fitness Thread

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Throw out the dumbells and get a barbell
I'm considering lifting again, and if I do I have to choose whether I want to get a gym membership or buy something like:
https://www.amazon.com/Marcy-Weight-Bench-Cage-Home/dp/B01GQPW2XA
https://www.amazon.com/Body-Solid-O...F8&qid=1521334785&sr=1-3&keywords=olympic+bar
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Gold-s-Gym-Olympic-Grip-Weight-Plate-Single/16622471

71qyuq2PYbL._SL1500_.jpg

It'd be around $700 for everything. The gym that's between my home and work is $50/mo with some other bullshit charges. Buying the equipment would be more economical after a year or so, but I'm not totally sure I want a huge rack sitting around in my house.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I'm considering lifting again, and if I do I have to choose whether I want to get a gym membership or buy something like:
https://www.amazon.com/Marcy-Weight-Bench-Cage-Home/dp/B01GQPW2XA
https://www.amazon.com/Body-Solid-O...F8&qid=1521334785&sr=1-3&keywords=olympic+bar
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Gold-s-Gym-Olympic-Grip-Weight-Plate-Single/16622471

71qyuq2PYbL._SL1500_.jpg

It'd be around $700 for everything. The gym that's between my home and work is $50/mo with some other bullshit charges. Buying the equipment would be more economical after a year or so, but I'm not totally sure I want a huge rack sitting around in my house.

I'd personally stay away from a rack with mechanical components (unless you go hard core commercial) and just get a strait up steel power rack, some jhooks and a nice bench that inclines. The max weight on that thing is 300lbs.....

T-3 Power Rack 36" Deep & Incline Bench Combo - Cages & Racks

Something like this would serve you a lot better, tons of different 1000+ lb racks out there that aren't that expensive. Also if you live in an active craiglist area you can usually find racks / weights on the cheap.

Archdruid Archeron

the Site Surgeon
<Granularity Engineer>
I wouldn't spend the money just yet, and would just focus on getting into a routine first.

I work out to five days a week (ish?). I do the same routine every day (prison style repetition). I bought a 40kg bar and a gym mat, that's it. I am nearly three months in and have solid results. Better to figure out the workouts and build the habits than to spend money on equipment. You can invest in equipment once you got a ceiling on a good routine with body weight and NEED it.

For inspiration, I do three sets of a circuit. The circuit takes 20-25 minutes, and I restart at 30min regardless of when I finish the last one (faster finish means more rest). I have to cap myself at six exercises to keep the numbers under 30min, and at three months no ceiling is in sight.
5DF6642E-B7B4-4945-A1D0-C7E39CC92BE7.png

(Disclaimer: I have been lifting weights for a few years so this isn't my intro to working out, but I did take a couple of months off when I moved in October)

(Note: The huge gap is a work trip. I worked out but I didn't count it because I didn't have the bar so I mixed in random things like dips, and yoga poses to work back and triceps)

(Note: That chart is in Google sheets and had triceps and forward raises toggled of on my report sheet, and was mid-workout. I snapped it at random for a friend to show her how my Google sheet tracker looked as nice as the gimmicky thing she got from Orange theory class.)

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I'd personally stay away from a rack with mechanical components (unless you go hard core commercial) and just get a strait up steel power rack, some jhooks and a nice bench that inclines. The max weight on that thing is 300lbs.....

T-3 Power Rack 36" Deep & Incline Bench Combo - Cages & Racks

Something like this would serve you a lot better, tons of different 1000+ lb racks out there that aren't that expensive. Also if you live in an active craiglist area you can usually find racks / weights on the cheap.
Yeah I'm not tied to what I linked, but it is my current top pick. Another one I've been looking at is what you linked, but much cheaper here:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Titan-T-...lift-Lift-Cage-Bench-stand-cross-fit/55110985

Why stay away from a rack with mechanical (I'm assuming that's the two pulleys)? Is it just so cheap that it'll break down quickly?

I spent some time looking at craiglist this weekend. Used workout equipment seems like used tools. People aren't willing to sell much cheaper than you can buy new, because everyone holds onto their stuff on the belief that they'll come back to weight lifting some day. I can get new plates for 82 cents a pound, or used plates for like 75 cents a pound (unless I haggle or something).

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I wouldn't spend the money just yet, and would just focus on getting into a routine first.

I work out to five days a week (ish?). I do the same routine every day (prison style repetition). I bought a 40kg bar and a gym mat, that's it. I am nearly three months in and have solid results. Better to figure out the workouts and build the habits than to spend money on equipment. You can invest in equipment once you got a ceiling on a good routine with body weight and NEED it.

For inspiration, I do three sets of a circuit. The circuit takes 20-25 minutes, and I restart at 30min regardless of when I finish the last one (faster finish means more rest). I have to cap myself at six exercises to keep the numbers under 30min, and at three months no ceiling is in sight.
View attachment 163237

(Disclaimer: I have been lifting weights for a few years so this isn't my intro to working out, but I did take a couple of months off when I moved in October)

(Note: The huge gap is a work trip. I worked out but I didn't count it because I didn't have the bar so I mixed in random things like dips, and yoga poses to work back and triceps)

(Note: That chart is in Google sheets and had triceps and forward raises toggled of on my report sheet, and was mid-workout. I snapped it at random for a friend to show her how my Google sheet tracker looked as nice as the gimmicky thing she got from Orange theory class.)

Pretty cool chart. I did something very similar when I was lifting before:
MJYzB3F.png

I want to go the gym or buy-a-bunch-of-shit route because right when I quit before I basically plateaued in what I could do on a lot of big lifts with my dumbbell setup, and knew if I wanted to squat/bench/deadlift more I'd need to get a barbell.

I'm a few days into working out again and am starting small, but I want to work out again for a month before deciding to drop $700 on stuff (or joining a gym).

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah I'm not tied to what I linked, but it is my current top pick.

Why stay away from a rack with mechanical (I'm assuming that's the two pulleys)? Is it just so cheap that it'll break down quickly?

I spent some time looking at craiglist this weekend. Used workout equipment seems like used tools. People aren't willing to sell much cheaper than you can buy new, because everyone holds onto their stuff on the belief that they'll come back to weight lifting some day. I can get new plates for 82 cents a pound, or used plates for like 75 cents a pound (unless I haggle or something).

Ya that rack is super cheap low gauge steel and adding the mechanical components just spells trouble. Plus you just don't need those mechanical exercises. A power rack with jhooks and a pullup addition and a nice bench gives you the main compounds you need plus multiple other lifts per muscle group. If you eventually build up your dumbbell game (you said you already have a bunch?) when you find deals you'll set for life. If you feel like you need mechanical exercises just go to the gym.

I think for a grand up front and then another 500 or so buying weights as needed over the next year would get me the home gym I need to do everything I do at my gym. I'd home gym in an instance but I've got a really nice weightlifting gym like 3 minutes from my house. If we moved to where I was 15+ minutes away from a good gym I'd think about getting a home set up.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
That's all reasonable, but I think I'm going to buy some cheap Chinese steel system on the assumption that if the manufacturer says 300lbs, it's probably closer to 3,000lbs.

After getting guillotined by 315lbs I'll make sure my tombstone says, "I should've listened to Kiroy".

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
That's all reasonable, but I think I'm going to buy some cheap Chinese steel system on the assumption that if the manufacturer says 300lbs, it's probably closer to 3,000lbs.

After getting guillotined by 315lbs I'll make sure my tombstone says, "I should've listened to Kiroy".

I was talking the rack. Ya a cheap bar will probably hold a billion pounds still but that rack is made out of coke can thin steel and if you get into squatting you'll hit 300lb in a couple months.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I was talking the rack. Ya a cheap bar will probably hold a billion pounds still but that rack is made out of coke can thin steel and if you get into squatting you'll hit 300lb in a couple months.
Yeah I know. I'd actually love to see those guys test to see what kind of beating racks can take.

I think if I did this in my gym I'd probably break my house down.

Last edited:

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole

I just wanted to ask real quick, are you sure it's a 40kg bar? Because that seems like it'd be fucking monstrous.

Standard bar is 20kg (45 lbs). I feel like even that Rogue elephant bar probably didn't weigh that much.

Archdruid Archeron

the Site Surgeon
<Granularity Engineer>
I just wanted to ask real quick, are you sure it's a 40kg bar? Because that seems like it'd be fucking monstrous.

Standard bar is 20kg (45 lbs). I feel like even that Rogue elephant bar probably didn't weigh that much.

Good catch. It is absolutely a 20kg bar. I was in bed most of Sunday getting a different kind of workout so I was a bit sloppy typing on my phone and probably switched my brain from 45lbs to 20kg mid thought in my rush to get this out and back to her.

And actually, I have already added 5kg plates to the squats with overhead press because it just isn't a workout for either deltoids or quads, and will probably up to 10kg plates soon even at 350 reps.

I want to stick to push-ups but even doing 350 isn't that challenging so I need to find a way to stick weight on my back. Any suggestions on that appreciated.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider

View attachment 163237

I don't know what the fuck I'm looking at.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Think I am getting towards the end of my run with a Starting Strength/linear progression program (4 months) At about 80ish% of my maxes after 4 years off of any real physical activity.

Thinking of doing 5/3/1 BBB for at least 6 months now because well I just want to keep workibg on form and figure just doing the big 4 will be the best practice. Anyone ever run it?

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Think I am getting towards the end of my run with a Starting Strength/linear progression program (4 months) At about 80ish% of my maxes after 4 years off of any real physical activity.

Thinking of doing 5/3/1 BBB for at least 6 months now because well I just want to keep workibg on form and figure just doing the big 4 will be the best practice. Anyone ever run it?

naa dude time to make your own bro lift routine and be big like 80's arnold within a month or two

get in lots of arms and legs can be done every other week.

• 1Worf

Khane

Got something right about marriage

Been doing 5/3/1 since December. Full body template but they are all pretty interchangeable. I like it, working well so far. Best part for me is it's pretty safe while still seeing good progress. I don't have any lifting partners so something crazy like conjugated periodization would never work. I'd probably kill myself.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser

Stop trying to half-cuck everything and get a gym membership so you can do a full proper actual workout instead of some half-cucked db shit

• 1Like