Ascension

spronk

FPS noob
does this show get any better? watched part 1, was pretty meh at the writing and the pretty terrible acting but at least the space shit was cool... until the ending. fuck you, show. not gonna watch the rest unless you bros say it gets way better

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
Well, this model did work for their best show and only truly great show, so there's a good reason to do it that way.
Sure, and maybe I'll tune in once a miniseries get extended to an actual series, but I think I'd rather just avoid wasting my time with a miniseries that has a good chance of going nowhere and never getting a conclusion.

bazazu

Lord Nagafen Raider
I want to know how the pigs got up on the main deck in the first place. Shitty ship design. Random electrical surge opened their cages or what? I'm sure we could go through and poke holes in this show until the cows come home.

spronk

FPS noob
yeah i ended up watching while farming in destiny and it got... better? not worse? i dunno, it still wasn't really great but I didn't actively hate it by the end. The science is pretty wonky but

1. there are a lot of pretty hot chicks who show their butts a LOT
2. they really build up quickly to an exciting ending, its a total blue balls ending but its still pretty cool

if you have absolutely nothing else to watch I guess i'd say go for it, but I wouldn't go out of my way to watch it and only if you love all things scifi. Hopefully its a sign that SyFy is going to continue to develop more shows and they get better.

I gotta say, while I find six still pretty hot its a bit distracting to see how much older she has gotten since BSG
frown.png
she's now firmly in MILF land

The psychic girl was the worst part of the show, her acting was god awful and her one go to move seemed to be unhinging her mouth like a snake and screaming. The writing was quite awful too, didn't really feel like the people were all "stuck" in the 1960s as far as culture is concerned, didn't ooze that 60s style like Mad Men or even Pan Am. I don't really get what happened either at the end
Did she send the black guy to another planet? To the past on Earth? Where did the other dude go? How the fuck did she do that anyways lol

Arcaus_sl

shitlord
The science is pretty wonky but
Did they even have much science? I felt like they had some real science in about 4 sentences and then everything else they said was a guess at what they thought might happen.

Wasn't the Dad's theory that after 5 generations or something that a person would evolve and emerge who could just teleport them to a new planet to live on? Pretty sure that's where the black dude went.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Yeah that was the dad's theory. It wasn't just selected breeding either, they were using the closed environment to do heavy genetic recombination therapy via the regular injections to the crew. Hence why the science guy had to be in on the whole deal to continually modify the treatments.

khorum

Murder Apologist
Yeah the Akira-type eugenics storyline in the later episodes might be shitty parascience but the Orion-class ship was a real air force project lol.

It was a skunkworks project headed by none other than Freeman Dyson himself and they even got so far as completing a proof-of-concept scale model launching to escape velocity successfully. The proposed full-scale Orion ship would've been a massive generation ship with enough of the coke-can sized nuclear devices on board for acceleration to .99c, eventual deceleration and a bunch of spares.

Freeman Dyson's son even had a TED talk about his dad's declassified papers about the project. The whole idea was fucking nuts but the science was definitely sound. This was back when using nuclear power for irradiating crops and strip mining still sounded like awesome future shit.

It was declassified just a few a years ago (Dyson's son is kidding):

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Welp SyFy killed this as a potential series. I guess they feel their slate of other shows are strong enough that they didn't need to pick up Ascension. I think ultimately it was trying to do too many things and failed at doing any of them particularly well.