Ashes of Creation

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
others have mentioned Eve Online already, but i'd like to point out that Eve Online had more subs (550k) than EQ1 (450k) at their peaks, and held more subs for much, much longer than EQ1 did, and that game has been around since 2003. So a dedicated PVP fanbase exists just not for a game that is also trying to be a theme park with quests and shit. Or rather, any game where progression is measured by PVE content, sucks for PVP. look at FPS or MOBA or Battle Royal or RTS or any other pvp focused game. The moment you gotta grind mobs or quests or something to gain power to be more effective than another player it changes the dynamics psychologically for players. Sure mobas you grind some mobs for about 30 seconds and level up but it's not the same at all. Eve works because progression is based entirely on time. And there's plenty of ways to make money including killing other people and taking their shit.

I played Eve online for over half a decade and I never once did any PVE content in it.

EQ1 really only peak time was 2001-2004 (1999-2000 it was still growing), and WoW killed it. Where as Eve peaked in 2006-2014 and really only started losing subs around 2018 or so due to shitty development choices. While EQ's devs were being bought and sold for the IP, Eve's devs were wasting money buying paperback RPGs (white wolf) and building FPS for consoles (Dust 514). For nearly a decade Eve Online was like the 2nd biggest export of Iceland behind fishing. talking mountains of money made and wasted on walking in stations and shit.

TLDR: Yes there's a dedicated pvp playerbase out there but I don't think AOC is going to really appeal to it. It'll do Warhammer launch and end up with DAOC numbers.
edit: Another reason Eve works as a PVP game is that progression while not based on PVE, is also almost entirely horizontal rather than vertical. someone with years more time than you can play more "classes" than you can, but when you are both playing the same class, even if you are brand new, he's only like 2% more effective. Anyway i better stop before i start ranting about how dumb levels are again. see Monster and Memories thread for more rants.
That's a great point about Eve's progression and the nature of its PVP: Once you are on (ship class) V, other than modules there isn't much difference. Also, low level players can immediately be effective because you always need tacklers. Nothing like someone playing for a couple of weeks being essential in costing a corp a billion ISK titan. Also almost everything in Eve being player made, all of those miners, haulers, industrialist, traders, etc. feeding into one giant economic loop that powers the combat side of the game. <thanos perfectly balanced.jpg> Losing ships and modules is built into the gameplay, and thus replacing them drives the whole economic engine forward; its expected and received differently than players in a fantasy MMO. There is no sentimental attachment to equipment, as nothing (for most of the game, I know they added some stuff with the warp/zone/rift/incursion whatevers, I can't remember the name, that might be special/better). I really haven't paid any attention in the last couple of years; hopefully CCP pulls its head out.

Its an approach that most fantasy MMOs can't/don't seem to take.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
That's a great point about Eve's progression and the nature of its PVP: Once you are on (ship class) V, other than modules there isn't much difference. Also, low level players can immediately be effective because you always need tacklers. Nothing like someone playing for a couple of weeks being essential in costing a corp a billion ISK titan. Also almost everything in Eve being player made, all of those miners, haulers, industrialist, traders, etc. feeding into one giant economic loop that powers the combat side of the game. <thanos perfectly balanced.jpg> Losing ships and modules is built into the gameplay, and thus replacing them drives the whole economic engine forward; its expected and received differently than players in a fantasy MMO. There is no sentimental attachment to equipment, as nothing (for most of the game, I know they added some stuff with the warp/zone/rift/incursion whatevers, I can't remember the name, that might be special/better). I really haven't paid any attention in the last couple of years; hopefully CCP pulls its head out.

Its an approach that most fantasy MMOs can't/don't seem to take.
Not only are the core design principles of pve games and pvp games are fundamentally different, but if you put the player bases on a venn diagram of who wants both systems in a game, there is virtually no overlap.

The core tenet of pvp games is equality, skill based performance. This is your typical fps player.

The core tenet of pve is progression, time/effort based performance. This is your typical D&D player.

The people who want to be able to beat other players solely because they can spend more time/effort playing the game, are the same type of player who will pay for advantages. They always end up being pay2win whales in random asian grindfest mmos or lootbox heroes in the latest looter shooter.

The people who want an unfair advantage over other players, but dont want pay2win are just poor irl, and there isnt that many of them that will play your game long term.

We learn this lesson every few years but the games industry and gamers in general have amnesia.

• 1Imbecile
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I like MMO PVP because I am bad at PVP and need a lot of confounding variables to blame for my losses

• 2Like
  • 2Worf
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
I love concept art, concept systems and brief dungeon walk thrus. I am officially on the Ashes of Archeage wagon now. Even if the class matrix goes 2 deep instead of 3 like it's predecessor did.

Harkon

Vyemm Raider
The gathering system looks good enough, it definately gives Archeage/New World Vibes, I loved Archeage, the sea combat was so much fun. There was just too much pay to win and grinding with RNG upgrade systems and the gear gap between Credit Card and regular was way too big.

If he can do Archeage right with meaningful crafting, caravans, sea combat, ect there should be enough to sustain the game with a smaller company. Servers hold about 10k so as long as there is enough that he can keep the datacenters open with the occasional content update id be happy personally.

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
I love PVP in MMOs and still think loot loss and/or remotely harsh punishment is a great way to kill your game on release. And yes spending 10+ years in development to have 5% of the population left over a few months after release is a dead game no matter how much fun all 4 people left circle jerking each other are pretending otherwise.

I also want robust PVE in my PVP game. Just normalize open world, bg equivalents and/or guild wars so I can look fresh in my PVE/PVP gear without being broken for either activity.

Without both it'll just become another MMO that gets a sub once a year or three to catch up on latest content and shelve instead of one that gets my money all year and then some for misc garbage like cosmetics.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
I love PVP in MMOs and still think loot loss and/or remotely harsh punishment is a great way to kill your game on release. And yes spending 10+ years in development to have 5% of the population left over a few months after release is a dead game no matter how much fun all 4 people left circle jerking each other are pretending otherwise.

I also want robust PVE in my PVP game. Just normalize open world, bg equivalents and/or guild wars so I can look fresh in my PVE/PVP gear without being broken for either activity.

Without both it'll just become another MMO that gets a sub once a year or three to catch up on latest content and shelve instead of one that gets my money all year and then some for misc garbage like cosmetics.

Don't want to single you out and break down your thought process but this is why these games fail.

You say you want them to build a PVE game and add meaningless PVP on top of it, but include open world pvp...but normalized so gear is irrelevant.

1667247313591.jpeg

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
How is it meaningless? You can still fight for resources, fun, bragging rights or whatever tickles your pickle knowing that it's a fair fight. Skill vs skill. Ruining some casuals day that will 100% leave the game when his gear is yoinked is a stupid design choice that has been proven repeatedly. Also MMO endgame = Fashion and this has been true since the first MMO in existence. No one gives a shit that your sword is +gooder dps. They care cause it looks sick or was hard to earn. I'd rather look like a boss and fight fair fights than just stomp scrubs all day that never stood a chance.

• 1Like

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
How is it meaningless? You can still fight for resources, fun, bragging rights or whatever tickles your pickle knowing that it's a fair fight. Skill vs skill. Ruining some casuals day that will 100% leave the game when his gear is yoinked is a stupid design choice that has been proven repeatedly. Also MMO endgame = Fashion and this has been true since the first MMO in existence. No one gives a shit that your sword is +gooder dps. They care cause it looks sick or was hard to earn. I'd rather look like a boss and fight fair fights than just stomp scrubs all day that never stood a chance.
The guy just claimed a laundry list of shit like hes an authority on the matter. Even though just about all of it is wrong, and has been proven wrong time and time again. From developers, to youtubers parroting that shit, to clear examples of the opposite happening in other games. The goal post is always moving. All of these games ride on the back of PVE players gathering, crafting, transporting or PVE in general. Yet PVP'ers fucking screech and moan when PVE content is added to their so called "PVP game". Ok, sure.. alienate the "sheep," Im sure you'll love getting multiple accounts so you.. a PVP'er.. can start doing PVE shit. Constantly drinking dumb fuck juice.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah I mean Shadowbane was essentially normalized across the board. And you fought over resources. Gear didnt really matter, neither did weapons. It was all about the runes that dropped and made your class an extra bit better. Like the commander rune, remember? And those were world drops and sometimes you just walked in and got the rune uncontested, but other times you had to PvP for it. I revisited Shadowbane years after its initial shit launch and it was pretty fucking fun. At the time it was pretty much East vs west on the servers. Basically China vs all the west. I think Japan even had a guild on the server and the battles were pretty fun. But again, those types of games dont really have a long lasting stay because it ends up being the same shit over and over. If youre not PvPing in Shadowbane you were leveling up another character. I think me and my brother played for like a few months? and then it got pretty old and we just kinda quit logging in.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cybsled

I can't speak for Shadowbane later on after they sold it to that company in China, but the combo of super sandbox mode + punishing PVP is what killed it at launch. To get good gear or even maintain your existing gear, you needed a leveled city and NPCs. So if your city gets killed in a war (which was usually rife with sb.exe, slideshow performance, and exploits), you suddenly can't get good gear anymore. And their siege system made it so once your leveled city died, it was virtually impossible to rebuild. An enemy could just siege declare and continue to shit on you. Most servers were ghost towns after a month or two.

Some of the shit Sorcerer is saying about AoC design gives me major Shadowbane at launch vibes. Being able to siege declare on a town before it hits max rank, killing people and looting the resources they need to even progress their character. That is a fast ticket to dead game town. All the PVErs will quit, then you'll just have the PVPers get filtered into varying degrees of skill, with the top PVPers eventually getting fucking bored and leaving the ruined husk of a server in their wake because they didn't give a shit about server health, they just wanted to "win".

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
Sorry you said you wanted to PVP but you didn't want any loot loss or even remotely harsh punishment whatsoever. That means you want meaningless PVP. Oh sorry PVP for bragging rights. You can't fight for "resources" if those resources mean anything, otherwise you are punished for losing. I was just basing my response on what you said.

And you want it normalized PVP so gear doesn't matter, which I suppose is a step in the right direction for a PVE focused game with meaningless PVP, i'm assuming you mean level too right, so it's actually equal.

So you want a PVE game where you can non-optionally fight (world pvp) but there's no gain or loss whatsover and its just for bragging rights? Is there raid mobs or instances? Can guilds wipe other guilds forming up for raids, or prevent them from entering instances? Cus either of those are punishments for losing, or its harrassment/CS ticket/warnings/bannings, your game has to pick.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
The guy just claimed a laundry list of shit like hes an authority on the matter. Even though just about all of it is wrong, and has been proven wrong time and time again. From developers, to youtubers parroting that shit, to clear examples of the opposite happening in other games. The goal post is always moving. All of these games ride on the back of PVE players gathering, crafting, transporting or PVE in general. Yet PVP'ers fucking screech and moan when PVE content is added to their so called "PVP game". Ok, sure.. alienate the "sheep," Im sure you'll love getting multiple accounts so you.. a PVP'er.. can start doing PVE shit. Constantly drinking dumb fuck juice.
rofl talk about hot takes.

be me.
Point out the singular common flaw in every single failed PVP game.
Point out where the sole successful PVP game did things differently.
Explain how this_game is making the same mistake every other failed PVP game makes.
Daidraco: uhh but it'll be different this time you should totally keep making same mistake...not a real scotsman/not actual communism/hurrdurr no u. Plus I have no idea what you are saying but it sounds like you are disagreeing with me so let me create a strawman in my head to argue against....durrr

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
rofl talk about hot takes.

be me.
Point out the singular common flaw in every single failed PVP game.
Point out where the sole successful PVP game did things differently.
Explain how this_game is making the same mistake every other failed PVP game makes.
Daidraco: uhh but it'll be different this time you should totally keep making same mistake...not a real scotsman/not actual communism/hurrdurr no u. Plus I have no idea what you are saying but it sounds like you are disagreeing with me so let me create a strawman in my head to argue against....durrr
Ya - I have a hot take.
giphy.gif

turbo

Molten Core Raider
May be in the less popular camp but normalized gear in pvp in an MMO to me is so deflating. The whole draw for MMO's for me is perpetual world where your hard work and grinds + efficiency at finding groups or ways to be more successful then others helps ultimately lead to advantages. If i wanted pvp experience with everything normalized i'd play a different game.

Think real life in many cases...the smartest guy doesn't always finish first. The relatively smart guy who also understands the importance of leadership, collabration, etc is the guy who usually is the most successful (from a traditional career progression stand point). Many variables come in to play not just "skill" in itself.

I know there is down sides like driving away players who don't have as good as gear etc but for me thats always a driving push and I enjoy that additional variability. I've been semi retired from PVE MMO focus for years (anything I actually played hardcore) so definitely was hoping to see some PVE action but would love some engaging pvp. I still don't understand why they don't automate a "Best of the Best" tournement EQ style. Can you imagine how awesome that would be? Have a quarterly automated tourney even and a big battle arena everyone can come watch like the final 8 (can instance all the prelim matches). I'd say add betting even haha but that could introduce throwing, maybe cap it at small amounts so its still "fun" but nothing that can be abused. About time we see something new in the PVP space, alittle true next gen (hi its fucking 2022).

Still remember seeing the wiz in the top guild right when i started playing EQ win and rocking his oracle robe (may have been a SMR). Couldn't imagine how exciting it would be with combat that had more then 1 few 8 second cast time spells haha.

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Players choosing to waste their time to continue fighting over resource spots vs if you die you're now minus loot and similar punishments are way different from a player perspective or the dozens of MMO PVP games released the last two decades wouldn't be dead. Same with needing to fight your way into raid zones. We spent 2 years doing WoW classic on a PVP server with forum nerds who dealt with all those issues when they occurred on raid nights where we took an hour to get everyone zoned in. I spent all my non raiding time being a shit lord open world rogue ganker and during PVP rank grind we would be camping people from flight paths to instance zone ins. None ate a ban/suspension/cs ticket etc and WoW is about as carebear as it gets. If WoW had pvp loot that server would have been empty instead of packed to the brim and far less enjoyable for everyone.

I have also yet to play a single loot drop MMO where players didnt exploit to skirt around rules. New World before it made its myriad of changes from pvp loot people just ran around naked ganking people. Didn't matter if they died, but super punishing to those that did. Older games that went full hardcore pk were exploited to shit to as well because most of these PVPers don't want any sort of challenge when it comes to fights.

Personally feel that games that offer a PVP solution to PVE work great. In games without a PVP solution to PVE problems I have ended up getting suspended multiple times (thanks EQ) for dropping a zones worth of mobs on some shit head which is a poor experience for all involved.

If PVP focused gamers wanted an MMO like some have discussed then something like BDO would be king right now. Meaningful gear upgrades to fight at best grind spots, item breakage, item loss, best tradeskill/lifeskill of any mmo, no real p2w, deep class knowledge required for equal fights, best in class action combat of any MMO, resource wars etc and an absolutely trash tier PVE end game. Instead it's basically another low pop niche game due to "harsh" penalties from crafting/death etc. and their low player count shows it.

People can bring up Eve but if released today it would flop. The majority aren't into that shit anymore or it too would be growing and not dwindling.

Wasting a 10+ year dev cycle to keep 10k online is about as dumb as it gets, but it's their money to lose.

All this assumes the game even remotely lives up to all the features it's promising and isn't a buggy/exploited mess at launch.

Regardless of their choices I'll play it cause none of it bothers me, but I'd rather a game with a robust set of options and a player base to match than niche trash.

Sorry you said you wanted to PVP but you didn't want any loot loss or even remotely harsh punishment whatsoever. That means you want meaningless PVP. Oh sorry PVP for bragging rights. You can't fight for "resources" if those resources mean anything, otherwise you are punished for losing. I was just basing my response on what you said.

And you want it normalized PVP so gear doesn't matter, which I suppose is a step in the right direction for a PVE focused game with meaningless PVP, i'm assuming you mean level too right, so it's actually equal.

So you want a PVE game where you can non-optionally fight (world pvp) but there's no gain or loss whatsover and its just for bragging rights? Is there raid mobs or instances? Can guilds wipe other guilds forming up for raids, or prevent them from entering instances? Cus either of those are punishments for losing, or its harrassment/CS ticket/warnings/bannings, your game has to pick.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
May be in the less popular camp but normalized gear in pvp in an MMO to me is so deflating. The whole draw for MMO's for me is perpetual world where your hard work and grinds + efficiency at finding groups or ways to be more successful then others helps ultimately lead to advantages. If i wanted pvp experience with everything normalized i'd play a different game.

Think real life in many cases...the smartest guy doesn't always finish first. The relatively smart guy who also understands the importance of leadership, collabration, etc is the guy who usually is the most successful (from a traditional career progression stand point). Many variables come in to play not just "skill" in itself.

I know there is down sides like driving away players who don't have as good as gear etc but for me thats always a driving push and I enjoy that additional variability. I've been semi retired from PVE MMO focus for years (anything I actually played hardcore) so definitely was hoping to see some PVE action but would love some engaging pvp. I still don't understand why they don't automate a "Best of the Best" tournement EQ style. Can you imagine how awesome that would be? Have a quarterly automated tourney even and a big battle arena everyone can come watch like the final 8 (can instance all the prelim matches). I'd say add betting even haha but that could introduce throwing, maybe cap it at small amounts so its still "fun" but nothing that can be abused. About time we see something new in the PVP space, alittle true next gen (hi its fucking 2022).

Still remember seeing the wiz in the top guild right when i started playing EQ win and rocking his oracle robe (may have been a SMR). Couldn't imagine how exciting it would be with combat that had more then 1 few 8 second cast time spells haha.
LOL this is also a driving force for those that are not good at PVP or the best or whatever. The thing that keeps them coming back is the thought that someday they will have the gear to override their shitty PVP skills. Or that if they work harder they can be good as well.

Also any mmo without a gear grind, cool items, jewlery trinkets and all that shit is a dead end for me at least. I like the endorphin spike when I get new gear or drops. This is why Asian mmos never caught on with me. Its because they dont have this. I dont want some gear that everyone else has and upgrade it by some gambling BS.

• 1Like

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>

Yep thats the rub. PVErs want their PVE to make them better in PVP. all pvp games except for 1 have went this route and every single one of them failed. Talking about wasting 10 year dev cycle on games that last a month tops, this is the way to get there.
Players choosing to waste their time to continue fighting over resource spots vs if you die you're now minus loot and similar punishments are way different from a player perspective or the dozens of MMO PVP games released the last two decades wouldn't be dead. Same with needing to fight your way into raid zones. We spent 2 years doing WoW classic on a PVP server with forum nerds who dealt with all those issues when they occurred on raid nights where we took an hour to get everyone zoned in. I spent all my non raiding time being a shit lord open world rogue ganker and during PVP rank grind we would be camping people from flight paths to instance zone ins. None ate a ban/suspension/cs ticket etc and WoW is about as carebear as it gets. If WoW had pvp loot that server would have been empty instead of packed to the brim and far less enjoyable for everyone.

I have also yet to play a single loot drop MMO where players didnt exploit to skirt around rules. New World before it made its myriad of changes from pvp loot people just ran around naked ganking people. Didn't matter if they died, but super punishing to those that did. Older games that went full hardcore pk were exploited to shit to as well because most of these PVPers don't want any sort of challenge when it comes to fights.

Personally feel that games that offer a PVP solution to PVE work great. In games without a PVP solution to PVE problems I have ended up getting suspended multiple times (thanks EQ) for dropping a zones worth of mobs on some shit head which is a poor experience for all involved.

If PVP focused gamers wanted an MMO like some have discussed then something like BDO would be king right now. Meaningful gear upgrades to fight at best grind spots, item breakage, item loss, best tradeskill/lifeskill of any mmo, no real p2w, deep class knowledge required for equal fights, best in class action combat of any MMO, resource wars etc and an absolutely trash tier PVE end game. Instead it's basically another low pop niche game due to "harsh" penalties from crafting/death etc. and their low player count shows it.

People can bring up Eve but if released today it would flop. The majority aren't into that shit anymore or it too would be growing and not dwindling.

Wasting a 10+ year dev cycle to keep 10k online is about as dumb as it gets, but it's their money to lose.

All this assumes the game even remotely lives up to all the features it's promising and isn't a buggy/exploited mess at launch.

Regardless of their choices I'll play it cause none of it bothers me, but I'd rather a game with a robust set of options and a player base to match than niche trash.
See above comment. People will always bring up Eve because Eve is the only success story.

BDO is fundamentally nothing like Eve. In BDO, all power is gained through PVE and further through loss Based RNG. Its basically WoW if losing the /roll for raid loot made you weaker.

Reading your post, basically you want wow classic pvp servers, which was fun for a month then every single one of them became 100% one side or the other. Again this design lasts for a month tops, like all other failed pvp games.

As for eve, yeah its 20 years old now and dying but not due to any of its pvp design decisions. If it wasnt spreadsheets n shit with an impossible learning curve the game would of been wow before wow, millions of subs for a decade+.

If you want to develop a successful PVP game you need to look past the engine and ui and understand how eves design differs from every other failed pvp game.

Fundamentally, eve is closer to a fps than a rpg, even though mechanically its just spreadsheets in space.

There is no power gain via pve. Progression is horizontal not vertical. New players out the gate are competitive with vets. Pve/industry exists because of pvp, because of loss. It also drives it. They are complementary elements of the whole.

unlike fps which rewards twitch/ hand-eye coordination, eve rewards game knowledge, strategy, tactics, logistics, crafting, espionage, alliances and your ability to network. All the things strategy/mmo pvp players want. All the things that crafters and industrialists want.

Why does every pvp game tries to create artificial pvp objectives like caravans or logistic chains, wants crafters to be important but still forces you to make 10k rusty iron spoons to level it up, etc. They all create artificial systems to make choke points and pvp objectives. Crafters want to be well known, they want to be vital parts of guilds. They are in Eve. The richest fuckers in the game, industrialists buy and sell alliances and finance pvp wars like Rockefellers and elon musk and shit. Instead games decided "well known" should mean "crafted by dipshit3" should appear on the botton of all 900 +1 swords you had to craft to gain a level in blacksmithing.

Why not just let players actually do those things? This ore is extremely rare except for this one mtn range where it is abundant. It can only be forged way the fuck over there. No magic systems to move it via invuln, fake caravans. You want the ore, mine it. You want to forge it, then carry it back. Everyone is pvp flagged always. Have fun, but more importantly, dont interfere.

Players will kill each other for it, create logistic chains to bring it back, creating tons of hot spots for ambushes, ganking etc. Alliances will be built, thievery, betrayal and back stabbing will happen, groups will collapse. It will get to the point where players determine it isnt worth the cost. Which will result in less competition, reducing the risk, which will restart the cycle all over again.

That is basically every eve war in a nut shell for 2 decades. Its 20 years worth of content for a fully engaged player base. When the map gets too stale, when alliances get too large or too comfortable, then change the recipe for making something or change the stats on something so now this other thing is the flavor of the month, the meta, and it has completely different resource inputs and then watch the chaos ensue.

Everyone says they want pvp and they want it to matter, but then ask for it be neutered to the point where its meaningless. The only successful pvp mmo game proves this is ass backwards.

Heres the thing, you only care about your shinies because of sunk cost fallacy of your caveman lizard brain because you spent x hours grinding/questing/raiding for it. Remove the PVE hurdle, remove the shinies. You dont give a shit when you die in a fps do you? Even though you drop all your shit, and the dude who killed you picks up your gun and then teabags you. No you respawn and try again. How about instead of crafters making hundreds of +1 swords to level up only to vendor them, they make them because your guild needs them to outfit your guys when they die and respawn?

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Cringe
Reactions: 2 users

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Ashes of Creation will be insanely popular at release, it simply has too much going for it and people are so hungry for a good MMO and then it will die the first time a city node and all related player housing are destroyed in PVP and the PVE players realize all their hard work and time invested is gone because of something they do not wish to engage in.

I find it strange that developers are so naive that they always think they have "meaningful pvp" that will convince PVE that PVP is great and that they will join in.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users