Asteroid City (2023)

kroenen

Regimen Morum
2.00 star(s) Rating: 2.00/5 3 Votes
Title: Asteroid City (2023)

Genre: Comedy, Drama, Romance

Director: Wes Anderson

Cast: Jason Schwartzman, Scarlett Johansson, Tom Hanks, Jake Ryan, Jeffrey Wright, Tilda Swinton, Bryan Cranston, Edward Norton, Adrien Brody, Liev Schreiber, Hope Davis, Steve Park, Rupert Friend, Maya Hawke, Steve Carell, Matt Dillon, Hong Chau, Willem Dafoe, Margot Robbie, Tony Revolori, Jeff Goldblum, Grace Edwards, Aristou Meehan, Sophia Lillis, Rita Wilson, Ethan Josh Lee, Fisher Stevens, Seu Jorge, Jarvis Cocker, Preston Mota, Jack Eyman, Gracie Faris, Ella Faris, Willan Faris

Release: 2023-06-09

Plot: Set in a fictional American desert town circa 1955, the itinerary of a Junior Stargazer/Space Cadet convention (organized to bring together students and parents from across the country for fellowship and scholarly competition) is spectacularly disrupted by world-changing events.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Well, Its different.

There is always this complaint about how we see the same things being made over and over in Hollywood. This does not strike me as something I have seen before. I am not sure if that is a good thing.

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
Excited Lets Go GIF

bolok

Trakanon Raider
I'm an absolute sucker for Wes Anderson movies. Can't wait.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Szlia

Always looking forward to a new Wes Anderson movie, but I think there is something to note: The screenplay and/or story of his films are always collaborative efforts and there are different co-writers. Owen Wilson (Bottle Rocket, Rushmore, The Royal Tenenbaums), Noah Baumbach (The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou, Fantastic Mr. Fox), Jason Schwartzman (The Darjeeling Limited, Isle of Dogs, The French Dispatch), Roman Coppola (The Darjeeling Limited, Moonrise Kingdom, Isle of Dogs, The French Dispatch), Hugo Guinness (The Grand Budapest Hotel, The French Dispatch).

Asteroid City has been written with Roman Coppola. So that makes me more excited than if it was Hugo Guinness, but less excited than if it was Owen Wilson or Noah Baumbach.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The French Dispatch was awful. Hopefully this is a return to form.

• 1Solidarity

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Looks interesting. Not sure if it is something I would pay to see in theaters though. Number 5 getting work outside of Umbrella Academy is a good thing. Scar Jo still gives me wood. Weird 50s Americana vibe to it.

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
Saw this last night.

Good movie and interesting, if not weird.

Cinematography and acting were excellent, but the story...

They tell you right away, but the movie is actually supposed to be a play, that we the audience see as a film. They also show several times the behind the scenes casting, planning and making of said play. Ultimately, the story of the film has no real consequence as a result. So you're only really enjoying this if you like to watch good acting and set pieces etc.

7/10 for me. Isle of Dogs is still my fav Anderson film

bolok

Trakanon Raider
Caught this at my local art house theatre today. Gorgeous looking colors and framing as usual. Felt it was kinda middle of the road as far as an actual story goes tho. Unfortunate. Still enjoyed it, but wouldn't call it a standout amongst his films.

• 1Like

Szlia

Delivers what's on the tin. Nothing more, nothing less. Not great, but his best film since Moonrise Kingdom.

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Not the most interesting story but was a good watch. Especially for the visuals and set designs.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database