Atlanta, GA

Siliconemelons

So the wife wants to go there to do the aquarium and the zoo etc.

Should I stay in downtown / city proper or go outward? if so, how far? would be arrival on a Sunday -> to Monday and Tuesday is departure - we will be driving there.

Anything else fun for kids etc? I think we are also going to go to the cabbage patch kid factory thing.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
My wife and I went there for our 5th anniversary. They have an Atlanta 'city pass' that's like $75/person. It gives you tickets to CNN tower, Zoo, Aquarium, Modern History Museum & World of Coke. It's a pretty good deal. If you're going to stay out there, I suggest the Marriott. It's setup a lot like a Vegas hotel. The ground level is very active. They have local restaurants show up every week and you can try a bunch of stuff for free. It's a good deal. Oh, I found the website for it.
Atlanta CityPASS

We stayed at the Hilton, which is kind of next door. It's attached via an elevated walkway. The Hilton is set up for like... 65+ y/o travelers. Where as the Marriott is pretty cool. And it's HUGE. I suggest that one. Stay downtown. You can walk almost everywhere. We took 2-3 uber's the entire trip (Zoo, Museum & Kevin Rathbun Steak). It was a great trip.

• 1Like

Siliconemelons

We have looked at city pass, we are only there - "3" days, sun drive up, then Mon is the only full day, then Tuesday is stuff and return trip.

So we are only going to hit 2 of the 3 places we wanted to go, and those 2 solo are 25$ less than the pass- if we did the 3rd then the citypass is best.

We looked at downtown Sheridan and Holiday Inn, but we are maybe thinking of one that is just north of the city proper.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
World of Coke & Aquarium are right next to each other. And you can go through coke in ~1 hour, including trying all of the various types of soda from around the world.

The zoo is a bit further away. The aquarium itself is big (it has this giant tank with 3 whale sharks), but aside from that center tank, it's lacking. A few smaller exhibits around the perimeter, but the big draw is the whale sharks. My wife liked it, but I was underwhelmed after growing up taking trips to Baltimore for their much less volume of water, but way better thought out aquarium.

• 1Like

Siliconemelons

K, city pass it is then and will plan on hitting world of coke - the aquarium was to be our main full day so, thanks yo +5 tuco bucks to you!

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
At coke, they had this guy in a big Coke polar bear costume with 1 false arm so he could use that arm and fingers to make the mouth open and eyes blink and shit. It was a pretty badass costume.

Oh, I found it! This is from when I went there almost 6 years ago.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Siliconemelons

Will security tackel me if I yell FAKE NEWS during the entire CNN tour and attempt to throw a MAGA hat on to the news desk during a live show?

I mean, if I get CityPASS, I get a free troll opportunity!

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I don't recall seeing any security while I was there. Just the tour guide (girl). And you walk behind glass as the people do their bullshit on the other side of that glass.