Audio Equipment

Cleetus-Meetbeetus

<Silver Donator>
Does FOH have any audiophiles?

For the past ten years or so I've been listening to music on a Logitech potato, and I've decided to start building another system. I moved around quite a bit, so the last one I had was in storage at my parent's place. I decided to give it away.

I'm thinking tubes, glorious warm tubes, perhaps a Yaqin or Boyuu, or a Musical Paradise M301 designed right here in Alberta. I bought a Dilvpoetry tube pre-amp, and a Topping D10 DAC should be arriving any day now.

I'd love to see what systems FOHers, audiophile or otherwise, are listening to. Or if you have audio-related stories, or comments post em up!

Last edited:
<raises hand>

Balanced Audio Technology VK-500 dual mono amp
Balanced Audio Technology VK-3i preamp
CD player of the week: Rotel player from the early 2000's, it does HDCD processing, which I like
Miida DD TT with Benz Micro Glider MC cartridge
mixture of Harmonic Tech and Kimber silver streak cables, balanced
Magnepan 1.2's
Martin-Logan sub, set to cut in at 35h.

The by-far mvp for me are the magnepans. They are cheep (think these go for maybe 1400 US these days) and just way beyond anything I have heard or could afford. Only deal is, you do need the roon for them. They need to breathe a lot.

And a dedicated listening room:
giee.mpl.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cleetus-Meetbeetus

<Silver Donator>
Very nice setup! I've heard a lot about the Maggies, they're one of Steve Guttenberg's all time favorite speakers. One of his contributors did an interview with a guy that runs a set off four Emotiva monoblocks, through Behringer active crossovers. I'd love to hear a set some day.

I'm curious about your opinion of balanced versus unbalanced. I remember when balanced was first becoming big on the audio scene, and there was a whole lot hype around it. Also, have you ever considered doing a room treatment?

Last edited:
I think balanced vs unbalanced is way down the list. The fact is, my local dealer gave me a showroom discount on the BAT amp and preamp, and that company only does full balanced circuity.

It sounds fab. Compared? I think it is more powerful (it actually is ). But it is not the secret key.

But for me, the secret key was finally getting the room and speakers to work together w/ clean power. In that order.

As to room treatment, that is newfangled to me. I got this system dialed in around 2000. Never experimented with Room Correction. I hear it is amazing these days.

But I have some really nice in-ear phones, some high end Shures from a few years ago. Friggin AMAZING sound just off the computer using an AudioQuest dragonfly dac.

But there is something about sound in a room. Plus, there is something about trying to get a room which actually sounds good.

I am lucky b/c that room sounds decent. I have hear much better, but there are times that room sounds fantastic. So ya know, under those conditions, I just haven't felt tempted to digitally correct it.

BTW, I think the key is I have the room set up on a diagonal. That is a controversial pov though heh

Cleetus-Meetbeetus

<Silver Donator>
I'm literally starting from scratch again; still in the exploration phase. As I said in the original post, I gave it all away. I have a couple of vintage components -- Technics 100 watt 5 channel and Mach 5000 speakers -- I can use as a starter, but I don't know what direction I'll go. When the Topping DAC gets here I'll set it up and see what it sounds like. In the meantime I've been listening to KEF Q150s on an SMSL AD18 80 watt amp, in near field. The KEF Uni Q driver is another astounding piece of technology. The imaging and sound stage are amazing, but no where near what I imagine the Magnepans produce.

I've been watching a lot of DIY videos, thinking of attempting a DIY tube amp. If I build it myself I should be able to leverage my budget and learn something to boot. I've also been looking at Bob Crites' Cornscala speakers -- they're an amalgamation of the Klipsch Lascala and Cornwall speakers done with JBL compression drivers and horns. I've always been curious about the horn sound. I can buy the components as I can afford them, and Bob provides enclosure drawings on his website, or ships the panels as a flat pack.

I'm not sure, though. As I said, I'm still in the exploration phase.

In the meantime, and talking of pure coincidence, Steve Guttenberg released a review of the new Magnepans just this morning:

I often visit audio asylum, a hi-fi nut place. It can be fun. LOTS of posters there, and also industry people. It is a very barebones message board, but if you haven't gone, you are in for a treat.

I have heard nothing but fantastic things about the KEF unidriver. A couple years ago they came out with a monitor which was just a single unidriver. I can only imagine what the imaging would be like.

Yeah, its the KEF LS50 anniversary model. That in a nearfield, with a solid true subwoofer, must be sweet.

It is all about set up aint it? You get the system and speaker location and chair location locked in, it is magic. It is a great hobby although most think we are nuts. We aren't!

Magnepans are absolutely worth seeking out to listen to. And yes, imo, nearfield is the way to go unless you got tons of $$$$. Equilateral triangles are our friend!

Visit and register at Audio Asylum. Site has been around like since 1999. Lots of info to be found there.

Cleetus-Meetbeetus

<Silver Donator>
I visit a couple forums regularly: AVS Forum and diyAudio, mostly. I'll register at Audio Asylum and have a look around.

The Topping DAC arrived today so I set it up and hooked up the Technics and SMSL to it. The DAC has RCA and toslink out so I can use it as a switcher between two separate systems. The Technics doesn't have a DAC or toslink, so I couldn't connect it to my computer -- straight analogue. I put a Dilvpoetry tube pre-amp between the DAC and Technics and I'm pretty impressed so far. The difference between a 20 pound transformer and the SMSL chip amp is pretty amazing. One thing about the Technics is it's feature packed: turn off the DSP and it becomes a traditional 100 watt/channel bi-ampable stereo receiver -- drives the KEF like a champ.

I still have a couple hundred CDs laying around here somewhere so I can start ripping them into FLAC files and use FOOBAR to play back lossless in PCM format. Eventually I'd like to have a NAS with a few terabytes of storage.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user
So what KEF's are those again?

Ever tried a more generous triangle? Move speakers and listening chair out maybe 2ft or so? Keep triangle same size but figure out how to get it into more open a space?

The speakers could benefit from some breathing room. Maybe experiment. I might be wrong.

Cleetus-Meetbeetus

<Silver Donator>
They're bottom of the line at $400 CAD; but it's the very same driver that's in the $40k Blade. You can't tell from the pic but they're about 4 feet apart and diagonal to the room; it's a corner desk. I tipped them on the side to get them at ear level, and the rear port is about a foot and a half away from the wall, close but not too close. The phantom center is right in the middle where it should be.

I got the Mach 5000 set up and tested them out. They're 91 db at 1 watt/1meter, where the KEF are only 86 db, and the port is tuned to 38 db, so the 15 inch woofer really punches the bass. The problem is I don't have a room where they can really perform, so they won't get used for now. They should sound pretty good with a tube amp.

They're bottom of the line at $400 CAD; but it's the very same driver that's in the $40k Blade. You can't tell from the pic but they're about 4 feet apart and diagonal to the room; it's a corner desk. I tipped them on the side to get them at ear level, and the rear port is about a foot and a half away from the wall, close but not too close. The phantom center is right in the middle where it should be.

I got the Mach 5000 set up and tested them out. They're 91 db at 1 watt/1meter, where the KEF are only 86 db, and the port is tuned to 38 db, so the 15 inch woofer really punches the bass. The problem is I don't have a room where they can really perform, so they won't get used for now. They should sound pretty good with a tube amp.

View attachment 202317

And nearfield is, imo, a great way to listen.

Just to experiment, you need to move the speaker and make a triangle, even if it is just for serious listening. I listen real quiet most of the time b/c I like to save my ears. But hell, the point of stero is, equilateral triangles are you friends.

St up a triangle with 4ft on each side. Listen at low volume. Work upward from there. Lots and lots of people stay at nearfield. I have about a 6 feet equilateral. Any time of day, I can get as much punch as I want, and only during the real late hours do I need to be careful about disturbing my next door neigboors.

Cleetus-Meetbeetus

<Silver Donator>
Would you pay $80k for a 27 watt per channel integrated tube amp? Audio Note is a Japanese manufacturer, and seriously anal about the components they make -- like using Italian pure silver ingots to make wire to wind transformers, make capacitors, voice coils, and tubes, drawing it out by hand, wrapping wire with silk thread by hand. I mean, holy fuck!

ONGAKU | AUDIO NOTE

Cleetus-Meetbeetus

<Silver Donator>
The debate about analogue and digital seems to be eternal. Some swear vinyl is superior; others say digital sampling reproduces a sine as pure as that produced by the transducer -- the plucked string vibrating above the pickup, the vocal sung into the mic. The problem is that reproducing a live performance relies on a wide variety of variables in both recording and playback that color the final product. Some audio enthusiasts talk about faithful reproduction of the original master, while others discuss the merits of measurements. But those in the business of reviewing music and audio equipment almost always emphasize the value of listening, using subjective adjectives to describe a personal listening experience.

So how good are your ears? Can you tell the difference between a compressed file and a lossless file, MP3 versus FLAC?

Take this test: How Well Can You Hear Audio Quality?

I know I have hearing loss above 13khz from decades of working in high noise environments, yet I was still able to pick five out of six of the high fidelity files. Was it just luck, or have years of listening trained my ears to recognize high quality? The results seem to indicate the general public can do no better than picking a file at random.

Cleetus-Meetbeetus

<Silver Donator>
I've never been a big Radiohead fan, but I saw their song, Weird Fishes, referenced as an example of high production values, juxtaposed to the Noordpool Orchestra cover of the same song. I've listened to both a number of times, and all I can say is they both have unique strengths.

I also admit I've never been a big jazz or orchestra fan, though my father listened to countless hours of Count Basie and Lawrence Welk. I am essentially a product of the 60s and 70s, cutting my teeth on bands like Ten Years After and Creedence Clearwater Revival -- with some Elvis and Roy Orbison thrown in because I didn't have a choice. I will further admit I've never been big on instrumental pieces; I like to ponder the lyrics as I listen. Lastly, I also freely admit I am no expert, I can only offer a subjective opinion based upon listening to a specific track or album. I have no education in audio engineering, nor am I musician.

In my opinion saturation is the bane of the modern music industry – the urge to play loud has destroyed the quality of recordings; the first thing I noticed about the Radiohead track is the lack of it -- each component of the Radiohead recording is clear and distinct. I can hear the vocals and guitar coming just left of center; there is a bass over there as well, though neither is as pronounced on headphone as on speaker (That could just be the narrow sound stage of my Koss headphones, though. As an aside the Koss KSC75 is the most astounding clip-on headphone you will ever hear for less that $20 US).

The Noordpool Orchestra recording is equally well done. Though there is a far greater range of instrumentation I can hear where each instrument is placed. And even though the orchestra declined to include the vocals, the piece stands up well as a representation of what a recording should sound like.

Neither of the YouTube tracks are anything approaching lossless quality, but they serve to give the listener a taste, and perhaps motivate them to seek more. Also, my cheap little system is far from the precision of a reference system, but I don’t believe you have to drop $100 K to have “audiophile” quality. Like most things in life, if you focus on the destination and ignore the journey you will be disappointed when you get there. But listen for yourself:

• 1Solidarity
Would you pay $80k for a 27 watt per channel integrated tube amp? Audio Note is a Japanese manufacturer, and seriously anal about the components they make -- like using Italian pure silver ingots to make wire to wind transformers, make capacitors, voice coils, and tubes, drawing it out by hand, wrapping wire with silk thread by hand. I mean, holy fuck!

ONGAKU | AUDIO NOTE

If I had oodles of cash? Sure. But I don't. And I think you mentioned DIY tube amps. I hear if you have the basic skills, you can easily buy a kit to assemble yourself. I mean, most of these designs are 60+ years old. I hear the tranformer is crucial, and you need it to be the best item.

I have tried to stay away from silly money with this hobby. More I can spend on music ;)

It's like, how can we fuck up advanced musical recording? The technology is mature, the physics are understood, engineering and acoustic engineering are gtg.

And yet they still have figure out how to fuck up.

Ah well, PLENTY of good recordings still out there

• 1Like

Cleetus-Meetbeetus

<Silver Donator>
Here's an imaging track. I love the way they played around with the vocal positioning. I'm not sure if the link will play in Spotify high quality, though.

• 1Like

Cleetus-Meetbeetus

<Silver Donator>
Andrew Jones and Steve Guttenberg discussing speaker design at Axpona 2019. Jones is probably most famous for being the designer behind Pioneer components, has worked for KEF and TAD, and is presently designing speakers for Elac. Guttenberg has been reviewing stereo equipment for decades.

Unfortunately they don't actually show the equations and graphs, but you get a pretty good idea what they are talking about: