Audio Inputs & DSLR Cameras

Tilluin

Molten Core Raider
Anyone have any experience with getting two audio inputs into the same DSLR camera?

Im starting a YouTube series at work mainly for our members rather than a lame attempt at YouTube stardom. We’ve got a nice DSLR camera and we’ve bought two microphones as there will be two of us on the podcasts.

Does anyone have any experience of getting two microphones to go into the same DSLR? I’ve read about splitter cables but not sure I can find the right one as I can only find ones which specifically mention using two headphones to listen to music rather than two inputs. I’m in the UK btw so mainly using Amazon UK not US sites. Ideally hoping to have the two inputs running so that I can edit each audio source separately which a YouTube video I’ve seen suggests is possible with the right splitter as Mic 1 will be left audio and Mic 2 will be right audio.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Need to know what kind of input/output jacks are on the camera.

This link seems to have info, but without what gear you are using kinda hard to say what you need.

Tilluin

Molten Core Raider
Need to know what kind of input/output jacks are on the camera.

This link seems to have info, but without what gear you are using kinda hard to say what you need.

B08110CB-4C86-40A9-8DC2-A3FC24890F9F.jpeg

These are the audio inputs on the camera and this is the kind of lead I’ve read might work
C2AF6DB0-AECD-4182-929A-6C2700C39F3C.jpeg

Tilluin

Molten Core Raider
Quick update - tried the splitter we have today and when using it into my laptop it works and both microphones can be heard. When using the same lead into my DSLR you can only hear one of the mics

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I think it makes more sense to record the two separately (video and audio separate) and mix them that way. Easier to mix and master the audio too.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Tilluin

Molten Core Raider
I think it makes more sense to record the two separately (video and audio separate) and mix them that way. Easier to mix and master the audio too.
I’m a novice at this and will be learning editing etc as I go - I could do this using my laptop to record the sound and camera the visual. Would it make editing harder if I have to cut out sections as I would need to keep making sure the audio and visual sync up?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I'm not knowledgeable in editing as much as others, I just do audio. Harder? Maybe a little, but I think there are probably tools or guides to make it easy

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Still don't know what camera it is so hard to know if it can use a stereo microphone or not. This is a kinda stupid video but does explain mono/stereo fairly well.

If the camera mic jack is mono(kinda sounds like it is) it will never not be mono and no splitter will work. If it is stereo you are better off buying a stereo microphone.

Last edited:

Tilluin

Molten Core Raider
Thanks for the help so far. After some digging I’ve found out our camera only has mono so I’ll have to look at recording the audio straight to my laptop and then syncing the two up. Time to get learning!