Audiobooks

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
I have 5 credits on Audible that I have to spend by the end of day tomorrow.

Any suggestions?

My favorite authors are of course Erikson & Martin. I really like Abercrombie and Sanderson too. Islington is okay and I have not started the Red Queen series by Lawrence yet so I don't know if like his stuff yet, but I do own that trilogy. I tend to lean toward High Fantasy, but I have room for sci-fi, for example I do remember enjoying the Honor Harrington series.

Any help would be appreciated, I have fcuked up the past two years and probably lost 10-20 credits by no spending them in time with their fucking bullshit policy.
I love Lawrence and the red queen trilogy is great but the narrator changes after book one which is jarring. I know you don't know if you like him yet but I would maybe suggest starting with his thorns trilogy. Have you read any David Gemmell if not grab legend. Master assassins by Rober Redick is also good, it is free but the sequel is a credit.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I love Lawrence and the red queen trilogy is great but the narrator changes after book one which is jarring. I know you don't know if you like him yet but I would maybe suggest starting with his thorns trilogy. Have you read any David Gemmell if not grab legend. Master assassins by Rober Redick is also good, it is free but the sequel is a credit.
I picked up two more series from Lawrence, the Ancient series and the Ice series. I already had the Red Queen, but haven't started it yet.

I picked them up off your recommendations from the past.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ranak

Molten Core Raider

Any suggestions?

My favorite authors are of course Erikson & Martin. I really like Abercrombie and Sanderson too. Islington is okay and I have not started the Red Queen series by Lawrence yet so I don't know if like his stuff yet, but I do own that trilogy. I tend to lean toward High Fantasy, but I have room for sci-fi, for example I do remember enjoying the Honor Harrington series.

Any help would be appreciated, I have fcuked up the past two years and probably lost 10-20 credits by no spending them in time with their fucking bullshit policy.
Codex Alera, Powder Mage and Faithful and the Fallen are all worth looking into. Lightbringer was pretty good, but book 5 fell flat for me, so harder to recommend fully.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>

Any suggestions?

I think Expeditionary Force and RC Bray is pretty much my gold standard for pulp audiobook. All of them were just fun to listen to, so much so that I’ve started using credits on just about anything RC Bray narrates.

Speaking of…

Finished listening to Tribe by Jeremy Robinson (narrated by Bray). This is book 4 or 5 in the Infinite timeline series. It wasn’t great. Pretty much a Percy Jackson knock off, kids find out their descendants of Greek Gods, cult trying to catch them, etc.

1st problem is that 75% of the book is one single car chase across Boston. Basically nothing happens except the two main characters bouncing from place to place running from the Cult. Almost no plot or character development.

2nd problem was some over the top inner monologue from the main character chick. Like being in the middle of a huge fight at the end but taking time out to think about how racism based on skin color was a recent modern invention of white people.

Only good part was when the other main character tried to distract the bad guys by impersonating Skippy The Magnificent from ExForce. With Bray narrating I almost thought the audiobook messed up and started playing one of those novels.

This was the worst of Infinite books so far. None of them have been spectacular but I’ll probably finish off a couple more with my bank of 12 credits.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I was just looking at what I want to spend audible credits on and saw there’s a book 16 of expeditionary force scheduled to release in December:

This came out today

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
So Aftermath was decent. Before I listened to it I finished listening to the second book in his new series (the one with the talking dog). At the end of that audiobook he did an announcement for Aftermath and talked about it some, and also had his wife participate in the conversation. I'm kind of paraphrasing and don't fully remember the details as it was a few days ago. The gist is that it went he was kind of moping because he missed the characters and felt like he had more story to tell, but had said it was done so didn't want to write more. His was basically told him if you have more story to tell and you think people want it then you should be writing it. The plans are another 3 books.

Aftermath is pretty similar in vein to a lot of the later books. Story is decent but nothing spectacular, gets really carried by RC Bray. It's fun shit to listen to. The book does very much feel like it is a setup book for the later 2 books, setting up the real problem and enemy. I'm looking forward to the next 2 books. His other series hasn't been as good imo.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Can anyone recommend a modern Lovecraftian horror novel or series? Like many here, I have some Audible credits to burn.